Updated to High Sierra, Evernote does not open

Hi guys, new to this forum, so apologies if this issue was posted before ( I couldn't find it)

Hi just updated my Mac to High Sierra, prior to the update, I was on Snow Leopard, Evernote was perfect, no issues.  After update, I updated my Evernote and when I opened the programme, it opened as in the toolbar pops up, but no window opens.  I click on file and everything is blacked out, I cannot select anything except preferences and such.

I deleted the programme and uploaded again from the app store. Same issue.  I can open on my Android phone, and the web.

Anyone know why this is happening? Or what I can do?  (I have already sent a twitter message - that i'm expecting not to be answered any time soon).

• Level 5*
On 2017-11-09 at 3:43 PM, blahblahunknown said:

just updated my Mac to High Sierra, prior to the update, I was on Snow Leopard, Evernote was perfect, no issues.  After update, I updated my Evernote and when I opened the programme, it opened as in the toolbar pops up, but no window opens.  I click on file and everything is blacked out, I cannot select anything except preferences and such.

I don't spend a lot of time troubleshooting my devices

My solution process is

1. Reboot the device; it solves many issues
  2. Delete and reinstall the app
  3. Completely remove Evernote; app, databases, ...The app AppCleaner is recommended for this
    Install the Evernote app and the database will be rebuilt from the servers.  
    Warning: The rebuild doesn't include Local Notebooks or unsync'd notes

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, blahblahunknown said:

Hi I deleted Evernote and dl it again from App store, but same thing. Any other suggestions?

Did you "completely remove Evernote; app, databases, ...The app AppCleaner is recommended for this"

I had the same problem and doing these steps worked:

1. use AppCleaner to uninstall Evernote
  2. empty my trash bin
  3. restart my Mac
  4. re-download app. from evernote.com
  5. and re-install.

I'm not sure if 1 and 2 were necessary but using AppCleaner definitely was as uninstalling by just dumping the app. in the trash bin did not fix things.

Thanks blahblahunknown for opening this and DTLow for the suggestion.

5 hours ago, strwrsdbz said:

I had the same problem and doing these steps worked:

1. use AppCleaner to uninstall Evernote
  2. empty my trash bin
  3. restart my Mac
  4. re-download app. from evernote.com
  5. and re-install.

I'm not sure if 1 and 2 were necessary but using AppCleaner definitely was as uninstalling by just dumping the app. in the trash bin did not fix things.

Thanks blahblahunknown for opening this and DTLow for the suggestion.

Worked like a charm. Thank you!

I spent almost my whole day on this. I use Evernote quite a lot, so I need it. I upgraded to High Sierra last night, and this morning discovered I could open Evernote, but it had no functionality. I contacted Apple support, who told me that Evernote is not compatible with High Sierra. They had me erase my entire hard drive and return to Sierra operating system. Fortunately I had done a recent backup, but it was a terrible process.

I warned the other Mac users on my team that shares Evernote with me not to do the upgrade.

Will Evernote notify us when it is compatible with Mac's new High Sierra, so that we can do the rest of the upgrade?

Same problem, tried with uninstall properly and install the latest version again, but the same problem happened 2 days later. I am getting mad now, thinking about to use other alternative app :(

I mean, if this keep on happen, I will drop definitely.

Maybe some staff will come and check, this is my mac info:

5a0f46e2096d3_ScreenShot2017-11-17at20_30_12.png.aded5cc26fc72184a9b4b1f97f725c5b.png

and this is how it looked like:

5a0f470a830dd_ScreenShot2017-11-17at20_30_36.thumb.png.00281f4e85b451563acfc7d6f7598f28.png

the application is running but nothing was opened, all buttons cannot be clicked.

Evernote is Version 6.13 (455673 Direct).

I use Evernote a lot also, so I wish I read this before upgrading to High Sierra as well. Even with regular backups I'm not willing to reinstall my OS for one app like Evernote. It just isn't worth the time involved. Hopefully, Evernote will make this popular app compatible with High Sierra asap.

• 2 weeks later...

Same thing happened to me this morning ... what a bad user experience!

New macOS releases have been announced for so long and access to beta version available to developers as well -- no excuse there honestly; I've been using Evernote for years now but this is not the first time something like this happen and I feel this app (and its mobile equivalent) are slacking behind in support, features and performance lately ... and now, so much time wasted on trying to get the app working vs actually using it (and of course, it's when you need it most that those things happen).

At the price Evernote and compare to its competition, this is very disappointing ... I think it might be time to start looking at alternatives.

11 hours ago, TrickerStow said:

Here's what I do to work around this problem

1. Click the Evernote icon on the taskbar
  2. Click the Computer icon to clip the screen
  3. Type something on the textbox
  4. Click Save to Evernote
  5. The Evernote app will show up allowing you to login.

Tried but still does not work. The window is not showing up. 

I had to follow Vinicius Lima description to get mine working again and use AppCleaner to uninstall Evernote and all its dependencies. Then reinstall from AppStore. What a PITA .. very disappointing that Evernote hasn't addressed or acknowledge this issue yet.

On 12/1/2017 at 12:24 AM, TrickerStow said:

This worked for me. 

On 1.12.2017 at 6:24 AM, TrickerStow said:

Just followed the recommendation of TrickerStow: It worked wonderfully! Can use Evernote again, thank you so much!

I'm using macOS 10.13.1 High Sierra on a MacBook Pro late 2016 and the Evernote version is 6.13.1. Did not work without the above trick although it should according to the developers of Evernote.

On 12/3/2017 at 5:39 AM, TheBiker said:
  • Click the Evernote icon on the taskbar
  • Click the Computer icon to clip the screen
  • Type something on the textbox
  • Click Save to Evernote
  • The Evernote app will show up allowing you to login.

Yes, you don't have to do this. The above works. Very simple. 

So, I did the "erase evernote and all" option suggested in this thread to recover from Evernote not working ... and now, I have several notebooks which have disappeared!! After thinking about it, I realized those were notebooks which weren't shared and therefore all local only to my laptop (this is for work and I didn't want to have those data accessible from other devices) -- so it makes sense that they're gone, I wish I would have thought of this before (or Evernote fixed their software so users don't have to deal with work around causing lost data) ... I can't believe I've potentially lost YEARS of data!

Now, the "good" news" is I do have TimeMachine backups so I'd like to go back and restore those evernote data ... Does anyone knows what's the dir path of those evernote data??? At this point, I'm fine losing whatever I've done in between the time I had to erase evernote and today, if it means I can get back all my work back. 

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, nokoston said:

Does anyone knows what's the dir path of those evernote data??? 

Hold down the option key, then click on Help > Troubleshooting > Open Database Folder5a2836a2b29d1_ScreenShot2017-12-06at10_26_15.png.0f7bfe366c994267cbe74820df1a804e.png

You will se a number folder like 1234567
This is the folder you want to restore

>>At this point, I'm fine losing whatever I've done in between the time I had to erase evernote and today, if it means I can get back all my work back. 

Assuming your work is sync'd to the servers; the first sync after the restore will download your recent changes

THANK YOU SO MUCH DTLow!!! It really felt like a close call but I was able to recover my local notebooks. 

That being said, this whole situation is extremely disappointing though; I truly like Evernote, I've been using it for years and been a premium user for a while as well but I think once my annual subscription ends I will move to another tool ... The fact that NO ONE from evernote has yet address this forum or this issue is really troublesome to me. We trust them with all our data and if it wasn't for proper backups on my side, I would have been seriously SOL here. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, nokoston said:

We trust them with all our data and if it wasn't for proper backups on my side, I would have been seriously SOL here. 

Actually with Local Notebooks, we are telling Evernote to ignore the data.  No syncing to the servers;  no backups

Users with Local Notebooks should be backing up the data

On 01/12/2017 at 5:24 AM, TrickerStow said:

Thank you so much TrickerStow, your suggestion above worked perfectly for me, thank you so much.

On 12/1/2017 at 12:24 AM, TrickerStow said:

@TrickerStow this worked for me as well. Thanks!

On 11/30/2017 at 10:24 PM, TrickerStow said:

You sir, are genius.  Bravo.

On 01/12/2017 at 6:24 AM, TrickerStow said:

Yeah! Now Work Fine!

1. Clck on Evernot Icon in the top bar
  2. Clip Full screen
  3. Click "Save to Evernote"
  4. Magically it's running again

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 10.43.58.png

I too could not sign in. I reached out to evernote and received these instructions. They worked for me:

Thanks for reaching out to Evernote. My name is Jacob.

I understand you are unable to open Evernote on your Mac.

To resolve this issue, please follow these steps:

1. Quit Evernote
  2. Open Finder. In the menu bar select Go > Go to Folder
  3. Paste ~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote 4 .Delete the file called "signed-in-accounts"
  4. Launch Evernote again

If you return no results on step 3, please try pasting this line instead ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/

On 11/30/2017 at 9:24 PM, TrickerStow said:

This simple method worked PERFECTLY for me.  Wow, thanks so much.  No uninstall/reinstall/empty trash can steps necessary for me.  Happily reunited with my beloved Evernote =)

On 12/14/2017 at 9:57 AM, Frenchgirl said:

I too could not sign in. I reached out to evernote and received these instructions. They worked for me:

Thanks for reaching out to Evernote. My name is Jacob.

I understand you are unable to open Evernote on your Mac.

To resolve this issue, please follow these steps:

1. Quit Evernote
  3. Paste ~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote 4 .Delete the file called "signed-in-accounts"
  4. Launch Evernote again

If you return no results on step 3, please try pasting this line instead ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/

Neither of those paste-ins worked for me.  Michael Nagler

On 12/16/2017 at 12:27 PM, Michael Nagler said:

In the instructions by "dataminingguy" he refers to "the computer icon".  What is that?  How can I click on it if the program doesn't open?  Is there any fix for this short of uninstalling/reinstalling and risking the loss of tons of data?

Michael Nagler

After you click the Evernote icon in the task bar on top, type anything in the box, then click "save to Evernote". Worked for me. If you don't see the icon across the top, try to open Evernote in the usual way, and the icon should appear. 

On 01/12/2017 at 10:54 AM, TrickerStow said:

This worked for me. 

I was using High Sierra for a while....Then that crashed, coming back Evernote was down, similar to your experience here.  I'm one more vote for figuring this out so it's not a problem in the future.  I keep my life synced with this, it cannot go down.  I'm a longtime user, but my patience is easily tested and I will find an alternative.

This worked for me, thanks a million!!!

I have the same issue each time I start my computer after upgrading to High Sierra. This is a very annoying bug - a note taking app most be quickly available, otherwise it us useless. I started to switch to Mac Notes for quick notes already. Please fix asap!

I opened a ticket with Evernote service an this is their reply which worked for me.

1. Quit Evernote
  3. Paste ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/
  4. Delete the file called "signed-in-accounts"
  5. Launch Evernote again

Well that was easy... Thank you!!

On 12/1/2017 at 오후 2시 24분, TrickerStow said:

It works well for me, and it's easy~

Thanks~

On 11/30/2017 at 11:24 PM, TrickerStow said:

TrickerStow -- Perfect.  A one minute solution to a months-old problem.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2018 at 6:08 AM, Dagfinn said:

I had this problem when my login keychain failed for some reason and I had to reset it. dataminingguy's solution worked for me too.

This is exactly what I did as well, for another Mac OS issues.

I checked the Evernote logs, and saw the authentication issue.  It had nothing to do with OS, it was all about resetting my KeyChain Access.  

Mac OS 10.12.6

Thanks for all the tips.  Deleting and reinstalling seemed like overkill. 

On 1/5/2018 at 10:45 PM, Josef_1966 said:

I opened a ticket with Evernote service an this is their reply which worked for me.

1. Quit Evernote
  3. Paste ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/
  4. Delete the file called "signed-in-accounts"
  5. Launch Evernote again

THANK YOU!!!!!! Fixed it!

On 11/9/2017 at 6:43 PM, blahblahunknown said:

Hi guys, new to this forum, so apologies if this issue was posted before ( I couldn't find it)

Hi just updated my Mac to High Sierra, prior to the update, I was on Snow Leopard, Evernote was perfect, no issues.  After update, I updated my Evernote and when I opened the programme, it opened as in the toolbar pops up, but no window opens.  I click on file and everything is blacked out, I cannot select anything except preferences and such.

I deleted the programme and uploaded again from the app store. Same issue.  I can open on my Android phone, and the web.

Anyone know why this is happening? Or what I can do?  (I have already sent a twitter message - that i'm expecting not to be answered any time soon).

I HAD THIS PROBLEM ON MY MAC & Support gave me this workflow and it fixed problem.   They also said that the version of EVERNOTE from their website (versus the App store) has already fixed this problem.  2/6/18

1. Quit Evernote
Paste ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/
3. Delete the file called "signed-in-accounts"
4, Launch Evernote again

On 01/12/2017 at 5:24 AM, TrickerStow said:

This worked for me. If you have Evernote in your taskbar it should work for you too. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've been doing the taskbar workaround for a while and it's been working fine. But when i had to do it today the task bar options were different (see image). I clicked on "Sign into evernote..." but nothing happened. Tried quitting and reopening but same thing happened. Just stuck with evernote open and greyed out menus. I use evernote on my desktop, iPhone and iPad but on the free version i can only stay logged into 2 at a time. I'm getting suspicious that evernote are intentionally making it difficult for people like me who want to use three devices but don't want the paid version. Making me even less likely to upgrade...

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 5.30.12 pm.png

Archived