EN super slow even after reinstall

Evernote for ios is painfully slow since updating to version 8.5.1. I tried deleting & reinstalling the app but it did not help.
I have 5,500 notes. EN takes nearly 10 seconds to open at first, sticks whilst scrolling through notebooks and is slow to open and type into notes.
Does anyone have any recommendations?
  • Level 5*
On 11/6/2017 at 7:07 AM, JoshJ1 said:

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I am using IOS 8.5.1 without any particular slowdowns.  Do you have any notebooks set as offline?  If you do it can take a while before the download to the device is complete, and EN could perform poorly during that time. 

In which case, I would turn off your offline notebooks to start and see if that improves performance.  Then turn them back on one at a time.

On 06/11/2017 at 7:54 PM, CalS said:

I am using IOS 8.5.1 without any particular slowdowns.  Do you have any notebooks set as offline?  If you do it can take a while before the download to the device is complete, and EN could perform poorly during that time. 

In which case, I would turn off your offline notebooks to start and see if that improves performance.  Then turn them back on one at a time.

Hi CalS. Thanks. Yes, the majority of my notebooks are set to Offline but they have had weeks to download to the device so this shouldnt be causing the slowness issue. Im using 8.5.1 also. Any other suggestions as to what the issue might be & why its so much slower that the previous version I updated from?

thanks

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, JoshJ1 said:

Hi CalS. Thanks. Yes, the majority of my notebooks are set to Offline but they have had weeks to download to the device so this shouldnt be causing the slowness issue. Im using 8.5.1 also. Any other suggestions as to what the issue might be & why its so much slower that the previous version I updated from?

thanks

The early 8 versions were painfully slow, but it got fixed around 8.3 or 8.4 for me, I forget exactly when.  Anyway, best I can tell EN only downloads the offline notebooks when it is open.  So even though it has been weeks, you might try leaving EN open all night.  Set Auto-Lock to Never in the display settings on your phone, open EN, and let it cook all night.  If that doesn't help, then I'd try uninstall and reinstall, and bring your offline notebooks back one at a time. 

I don't have much else.  Again, performance is great for me, but with only two small offline notebooks.  I started targeting offline notes back with IOS 9 which for some reason iCloud Backup wanted to include my EN data, even though the settings said no.  I didn't see the need to put a 15GB DB on iCloud so I turned off offline notebooks and started to put notes I knew I would need in a specific notebook.  The iCloud backup problem got fixed with IOS 11, but I haven't found the need to turn on offline notebooks again for my use case, I'm rarely without coverage of some sort.

18 hours ago, CalS said:

The early 8 versions were painfully slow, but it got fixed around 8.3 or 8.4 for me, I forget exactly when.  Anyway, best I can tell EN only downloads the offline notebooks when it is open.  So even though it has been weeks, you might try leaving EN open all night.  Set Auto-Lock to Never in the display settings on your phone, open EN, and let it cook all night.  If that doesn't help, then I'd try uninstall and reinstall, and bring your offline notebooks back one at a time. 

I don't have much else.  Again, performance is great for me, but with only two small offline notebooks.  I started targeting offline notes back with IOS 9 which for some reason iCloud Backup wanted to include my EN data, even though the settings said no.  I didn't see the need to put a 15GB DB on iCloud so I turned off offline notebooks and started to put notes I knew I would need in a specific notebook.  The iCloud backup problem got fixed with IOS 11, but I haven't found the need to turn on offline notebooks again for my use case, I'm rarely without coverage of some sort.

I have the majority of my notes (5200) in only one notebook as I use tags to organise instead. This large Notebook is downloaded now though because i can see the little status bar next to the notebook has complete. EN is now faster but by no means as fast and convenient as Apple Notes for iphone. I just cant seem to use it for quick daily access to notes. I've reset, uninstalled and reinstalled the app twice now. 

Are you saying if I create a new Notebook called "Daily" and only store my Today lists there, that this will provide me quicker access to these daily notes when using iphone?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, JoshJ1 said:

Are you saying if I create a new Notebook called "Daily" and only store my Today lists there, that this will provide me quicker access to these daily notes when using iphone?

Not really.  I was just saying that there have been issues in the past when trying to maintain a large DB on the phone can be problematic, not sure that is so today, but worth a try.  And since I really don't need all my notes offline I went to a process where I put the notes I might need when without a connection into a single notebook (1 of 5 synced notebooks I have).  Not a good solution for someone who is without internet access for extended periods.

Anyway, I don't have speed issues on the iPhone.  Slowest thing about this video is me typing.  :unsure:  EN was open when I started the recording.

IMG_0480.TRIM.MOV

Archived