Highlight and Export Highlights

snowrider

Idea

Hi,

It would be very helpful if you would allow the user to highlight text within a note and then be able to export a list of those text highlights to a text file.

Think of someone who is reading a textbook and highlighting text with a highlighter, but instead of all the highlights being trapped inside the book forever, the user could export the highlighted text into a clean list of notes.  At the very least, a user would be able to collect their exported text files on a given topic and copy and paste them together into a word processing document or into a new Evernote note.  Bonus if Evernote had a feature to select multiple note snippets from a list of notes that contain highlights and then Evernote merges just the highlights from each note into a new Evernote note.

Sure, currently you can have lots of notes in Evernote and even though you can highlight text in each note, the highlights are still trapped inside all those notes.  This means if you have 50 notes with highlights you would have to open each one at a time and copy and paste each line (or block of lines) of text into a word processing document or a new note.  That is extremely time consuming and tedious... and that might just be for ONE topic you have notes on.  Now imagine that you have thousands of notes across various topics with highlights and you can see how that becomes an outrageous task.  Even for a user who currently doesn't have any notes with highlights, why not make it easier for them to pull together their highlights before they build up a big backlog of notes with highlights.

I currently have no need for your Plus or Premium upgrade, but if Exporting Highlights was in one of those plans, then I would upgrade without hesitation.

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, snowrider said:

It would be very helpful if you would allow the user to highlight text within a note and then be able to export a list of those text highlights to a text file.

I'm more into highlighting pdfs than notes; but if necessary, I can export notes to a text file and extract the highlighted text.  

Not saying it's easy, but the highlighted text is identified with before/after tags

DTLow, thanks for the thought.  Are you saying the user would type the word BEFORE and the word AFTER at the beginning and end of each sentence/block of text you wanted to highlight within a note?  If that is the case, I'm thinking it's probably not any quicker/easier than just copying/pasting each line/block of text.

• Level 5*
On 2017-11-01 at 1:05 PM, snowrider said:

Are you saying the user would type the word BEFORE and the word AFTER at the beginning and end of each sentence/block of text you wanted to highlight within a note?

Actually, my intention would make use of the existing html tags which I had to export the note to identify
A sample is      This is rgb(255, 0, 0);-evernote-highlight:true;">highlighted</span> text

Archived