Evernote for Mac 6.13 GA

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Today we're announcing 6.13 GA. Get it here or check for updates in your app. The feature set and fixes are the same as our Beta 5 which was the release candidate we published last week. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac team

--------------

6.13 and app updates going forwards will be supported on OS X El Capitan (10.11) and above

Improved

• Sharing: consolidated share options under the "Share" button in Evernote. Share a note, choose to create a public link or modify share permissions all from one place. 
  • Navigation and Commanding UI: we've made some adjustments to provide more space for your content using a narrower toolbar, and making some tweaks to the sidebar to improve legibility. We've also improved the Move Note dialog to make it even faster to move a note across accounts by listing all notebooks from both your business and personal accounts directly in the dialog. 

Fixed
We fixed many issues in this release, here are some of the notable issues addressed. 

• Fixed an issue where notebooks are sometimes duplicated on upgrade
  • Fixed several crashes including intermittent issues around moving notes, app launch, and on PDF annotation
  • Fixed an issue where the Evernote app window sometimes appears black when in full screen mode

--------------

Screenshots

Simplified user interface with a more minimal toolbar 

Evernote.thumb.png.447c0acade124809c7cf003e19afb699.png

Improved sharing dialog 

image.png.e8573c965e87d3794a9fba51cc21e9

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, AndyDent said:

I already have had to give up on using Evernote on iOS to compose notes as it's unusable for editing - I write in something else then paste.

More a discussion for the IOS forum but this shouldn't be necessary.  I'm composing and editing notes on my iPad (but < 15k notes)

>>(Ticket# 2188207) Is there any way for me to check the status of a bug - I don't think so?

Use the ticket email with Support to get a status

v6.13.1 supposedly addressed some sync items, but not all

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Garzfoth said:

Now when you paste anywhere inside a paragraph (except at the very start or very end of it), the cursor immediately jumps all the way to the very end of the paragraph after the text is pasted (instead of remaining at the end of the newly-pasted text, which is the correct behavior and the way it used to work). This is extremely annoying. Am I the only one with this bug or are other people seeing this too?

The couple of other annoying issues that I have noticed so far have already been mentioned before in this thread and acknowledged by the developers.

I don't see what all the fuss is about w.r.t. the current syncing behavior — it's working perfectly fine for me, and I actually prefer more frequent syncing...

Oddly enough I saw this yesterday with the Windows client 6.8 b4. My solution was to close the note, reopen it, then paste. That fixed the issue. I haven't noticed it on my Mac, but it indicates there is probably some common code that is buggy here.

2 hours ago, EdH said:

Oddly enough I saw this yesterday with the Windows client 6.8 b4. My solution was to close the note, reopen it, then paste. That fixed the issue. I haven't noticed it on my Mac, but it indicates there is probably some common code that is buggy here.

Tried several variations of closing and reopening notes and the client — nothing fixed it.

• Ex Employees
9 hours ago, Garzfoth said:

Now when you paste anywhere inside a paragraph (except at the very start or very end of it), the cursor immediately jumps all the way to the very end of the paragraph after the text is pasted (instead of remaining at the end of the newly-pasted text, which is the correct behavior and the way it used to work). This is extremely annoying. Am I the only one with this bug or are other people seeing this too?

The couple of other annoying issues that I have noticed so far have already been mentioned before in this thread and acknowledged by the developers.

I don't see what all the fuss is about w.r.t. the current syncing behavior — it's working perfectly fine for me, and I actually prefer more frequent syncing...

Thanks for reporting this. I can definitely see where that's frustrating. Our developers are aware of what you're experiencing and are working towards a fix.

On 11/3/2017 at 4:12 PM, hwlhwl said:

3) Evernote web clipper saves from YouTube are having their thumbnail images squished up

59fc8520ef437_ScreenShot2017-11-03at22_55_59PM.thumb.png.304d26c5fba8cd757de9fe16447fbe76.png

Outside of the above, I really hope that Evernote can finally develop an iOS web clipper that behaves like the MacOS version. Right up till now I still get poorly saved content that have its formatting wrong.

I am also experiencing poor syncing fidelity between my iOS and Mac Evernote clients. The total number of notes don't tally between them with missing notes amongst them. 

This last bug has actually been introduced and fixed before. It affects mostly content in tables (as far as I could figure out). Some content put in the "old" tables is rendered in a weird way. In my case I'am sifting through hundreds of notes now without useful images and text. Web client seems fine though – this is the first time I use it over the Mac app.

There are also some minor elements of the web clipper (in this case the YouTube clipping feature) that are not put in the final note: The horizontal line below the thumbnail, the font, the font-color. But I guess that's something everybody can live with and is not related to release 6.13. Let me mention though that these elements where visible in earlier versions – which made the clippings look a bit more polished.

Lastly, and I hope this will be addressed, I will say that these unfortunate bugs in the areas of sync, formatting and stability seem to come up again and again – I can only talk Mac and iOS app though. See I'm passionate about the software, and IMO the Mac UI improvements go in the right direction. However, it seems there are some underlying problems. Perhaps the guys of the Mac Dev team are understaffed, or have unrealistic release schedules, or use a testing process that lacks coverage of use cases. For the latter: I can only recommend to employ as much automatic/regression testing as humanly possible and invest the time to make sure the release-quality will improve – before adding new features. The software I use that does this, introduces very few bugs in the core feature area on new releases. Perhaps something to contemplate.

For now I'm at the level where I think twice before updating to the newest versions. But i'm confident that this can change again soon – if you guys step it up a bit. ;)

Evernote for Mac was working just fine before this update.  Now, I can't view all of my notes.  When I click 'All Notes', I only see the same, randomly chosen 14 notes.  I have hundreds of notes so I'm not sure it no longer displays them all.

Also, if I use the search option to try to build a larger list of files, it only returns results that match the 14 shown earlier.

PDF annotation (insert text) doesn‘t work on my iMac 5k - the text is truncated and/or shown doubled, see attachment. Ticket is already open.

No chance to add text (lines become invisible while typing) to PDF at all -I‘ve to use the iOS version - there is an issue that some PDF pages are shown blank while typing text ??

A652FB51-A339-41FE-88E0-C2E1CB7C21A0.jpeg

• Level 5*
On 11/20/2017 at 6:35 PM, DuckFan said:

Evernote for Mac was working just fine before this update.  Now, I can't view all of my notes.  When I click 'All Notes', I only see the same, randomly chosen 14 notes. 

You might try either of the following:

1. Update to the latest version:  Evernote for Mac 6.13.1 GA 
  2. Reindex your Search Index.  
    1. Hold down OPT key
    2. Goto Help Menu > Troubleshooting > Recreate Full Text Search Index
  • Level 5*
On 2017-11-20 at 4:35 PM, DuckFan said:

Evernote for Mac was working just fine before this update.  Now, I can't view all of my notes.  When I click 'All Notes', I only see the same, randomly chosen 14 notes.  I have hundreds of notes so I'm not sure it no longer displays them all.

Also, if I use the search option to try to build a larger list of files, it only returns results that match the 14 shown earlier.

In addidition the troubleshooting steps outlined by @JM, you can force a full resync by 

Hold the **Shift** and **Option** keys on your keyboard and click the sync icon

Since release 6.13, text copied from an EN note to the same note or another note will on occasion end the paste text with nbsp& (non-breaking space code). Has anyone else experienced this behavior? Current version is 6.13.1

• Ex Employees
1 hour ago, Joe F said:

Since release 6.13, text copied from an EN note to the same note or another note will on occasion end the paste text with nbsp& (non-breaking space code). Has anyone else experienced this behavior? Current version is 6.13.1

Thanks for mentioning this, we've heard some other reports of it as well. Our devs are aware and it should be fixed in a future update.

I've read most of this thread and didn't see the issue I'm facing.  I'm running Version 6.13.1 and as an ECC, I am struggling to even recommend EN right now to new clients.  And I just put in a proposal to teach Evernote at a tradeshow in my industry next June.  We gotta get this worked out or I can't teach the class and frustrate those people the way I'm frustrated.

Tables were supposed to be improved in this version.  All I can say is, it's a mixed bag.  Formatting is completely wonky.  Sometimes it works right, sometimes it doesn't.  I was creating notes and sharing public links but I learned this week that the tables in those notes are extremely inconsistent for the viewers.  Why are they sooooo narrow on the public links?  If they are supposed to be sized for mobile phones, that was accomplished.  The online web view is awful.  Even a 2-column table requires scrolling.  It doesn't matter how wide or narrow I make the original note.  It doesn't matter what I do with the picture sizes.  It's become super-frustrating and I'm ready to give up on EN for this task.  I'm wasting too much time fighting with the program to get the results I want. 

Here's an example of the sizing issue I've been facing.  The newest table on top is sizing just right.  Scroll down to see how the various tables are all different sizes, no matter what I do to the original note (I have a couple of HOURS into this!). And you have to scroll to the bottom of the NOTE to get the scroll bar (that's why I have so many tables - I thought the scrolled one would have the scroll bar at the bottom of the table, but no....)  https://www.evernote.com/shard/s64/sh/5a1e8a55-d044-444c-a468-85f4f1c9dc1f/a425283685952b0e

Today was last straw when I tried to right-click on a table to change the color of the table borders.  Where did the Table Properties menu disappear to?  I can't find it.  I've lost a ton of functionality since that vanished.  I looked to see if it got moved, but I can't find it.  I'm so sorry I ever updated.

C'mon Evernote.  You used to be the best tool out there.  Now?  Not so much.

13 hours ago, Sandeelynne3 said:

I've read most of this thread and didn't see the issue I'm facing.  I'm running Version 6.13.1 and as an ECC, I am struggling to even recommend EN right now to new clients.  And I just put in a proposal to teach Evernote at a tradeshow in my industry next June.  We gotta get this worked out or I can't teach the class and frustrate those people the way I'm frustrated.

Tables were supposed to be improved in this version.  All I can say is, it's a mixed bag.  Formatting is completely wonky.  Sometimes it works right, sometimes it doesn't.  I was creating notes and sharing public links but I learned this week that the tables in those notes are extremely inconsistent for the viewers.  Why are they sooooo narrow on the public links?  If they are supposed to be sized for mobile phones, that was accomplished.  The online web view is awful.  Even a 2-column table requires scrolling.  It doesn't matter how wide or narrow I make the original note.  It doesn't matter what I do with the picture sizes.  It's become super-frustrating and I'm ready to give up on EN for this task.  I'm wasting too much time fighting with the program to get the results I want. 

Here's an example of the sizing issue I've been facing.  The newest table on top is sizing just right.  Scroll down to see how the various tables are all different sizes, no matter what I do to the original note (I have a couple of HOURS into this!). And you have to scroll to the bottom of the NOTE to get the scroll bar (that's why I have so many tables - I thought the scrolled one would have the scroll bar at the bottom of the table, but no....)  https://www.evernote.com/shard/s64/sh/5a1e8a55-d044-444c-a468-85f4f1c9dc1f/a425283685952b0e

Today was last straw when I tried to right-click on a table to change the color of the table borders.  Where did the Table Properties menu disappear to?  I can't find it.  I've lost a ton of functionality since that vanished.  I looked to see if it got moved, but I can't find it.  I'm so sorry I ever updated.

C'mon Evernote.  You used to be the best tool out there.  Now?  Not so much.

my lessons learned is: if you want super beautiful good looking notes (everyone has different expectations, of course) - and being able to customize  everything (fonts, size, color, border, shapes, etc. etc.) use a different tool (Word, Pages, OneNote) - if you want to be able to find everything, use Evernote. Sounds simple - it is that simple - I do not recommend EN to anyone who is looking for „beautiful“ notes.

To be clear: I‘m also frustrated about these and those bugs or „strange behaviors“ - but still using (and overall liking it) it, because I get so much valued information out of EN - maybe less beautiful designed notes. But I found them. Now. Quick.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, stocky2605 said:

my lessons learned is: if you want super beautiful good looking notes (everyone has different expectations, of course) - and being able to customize  everything (fonts, size, color, border, shapes, etc. etc.) use a different tool (Word, Pages, OneNote)

Most of us are NOT asking for "beautiful" notes with the ability to customize everything.

What we are asking for is that Evernote provide and maintain a reasonable format of our Notes.  This was generally provided in Versions 6.9.2 and 6.11.1, so I know it is definitely possible.  What we are seeing is either poor design changes and/or woefully inadequate internal debugging prior to a public release.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, stocky2605 said:

my lessons learned is: if you want super beautiful good looking notes (everyone has different expectations, of course) - and being able to customize  everything (fonts, size, color, border, shapes, etc. etc.) use a different tool (Word, Pages, OneNote)

Just a clarification on this; Evernote allows attachments of any file format, and works well with Office/iWork documents

I find the Evernote editor adequate for basic notes; I use dedicated editor apps for serious work.  Word/Pages for wordprocessing, Excel/Numbers for spreadsheets, Procreate for drawing, Notability on my iPad, ...

• Ex Employees
On 12/1/2017 at 6:02 PM, Sandeelynne3 said:

Where did the Table Properties menu disappear to?  I can't find it.  I've lost a ton of functionality since that vanished.  I looked to see if it got moved, but I can't find it.

@Sandeelynne3This is in the menu bar under Format > Tables > Table Properties...

• Level 5*
On 2017-10-31 at 1:50 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

Sharing: consolidated share options under the "Share" button in Evernote.

Is this the same Share button that's not available to notes in Local Notebooks?

This means that these notes can no longer be emailed.  Edited: this function is run in the cloud so it's possible the email option was never available for Local Notes

This was reported here

On 2017/12/8 at 10:35 AM, DTLow said:

Sharing: consolidated share options under the "Share" button in Evernote.

I am a Mac User. I and at least one other user (Gazumped, a Windows user) were able to email local notes via the Share,  Send a Copy function in the previous versions of Evernote. Why is this no longer possible?

I'm another user who is frustrated and disappointed that I can no longer email local notes. I use local notes for the company information and share that information with others via company email. Would like to have this "offline sharing" available again for local notes.

Archived