UI + Slowness + Responsiveness + Font issues?

(WINDOWS) Because now using Evernote has become irritating. When you have a lot of notebooks, notes and you have a view open where you have notebooks on left, all notes on middle, note editor on right. When you open few more editors from different notes and you start to edit. UI is just becoming more and more sluggish and can't even type anymore on some point. waits for few moments, I can see flickering on "Viewing 961 notes in "All Notebooks" - list. 

When I paste things from same document, suddenly the font is different even when the editor doesn't see it as different??? image.png.25bdbfd4da29d5f6313355dd6bad412b.png

Now I've reached point that I'm writing this support topic, but I need to work, really WORK and use this as a tool in my toolkit. In last couple of years the direction in some features has been good, however mostly it has become more and more flow interrupting tool when it was flow enabling tool before. I wish you can help me very fast with this because I've tried all sorts of tricks by using ctrl+help and optimized database, fixed this and that, changed little bit options, recreated indexes. None of those has helped in these issues.

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you run Task Manager,  check the Processes tab and click the Disk heading,  is Evernote maxing out disk access?  Is it maxing out Memory?  Your text size issue sounds more like a memory problem than anything else - do you have many other apps running with Evernote?  I'm over 40,000 notes and while Evernote is unusable for me from time to time,  it doesn't glitch up so badly as to prevent me working at all.

Incidentally please be aware that this is a (mainly) user-supported forum where you'll get the benefit of my (!),  and other experienced users' suggestions. 

Evernote staff do read these posts,  but they're not support - just developers looking for new ideas and generic issues with various applications .  The Support team is available on https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action if you're a paying customer,  Twitter - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if not. 

Ah Ok! I didn't know that this is user supported forum.

image.thumb.png.ab9bdb76bea268ab9b865ef20b558cbe.png

image.thumb.png.6d2d850eeba29e6ae34410ff3d7ace05.png

I also have 3 displays, 2 of those are 4k and one 1440p. I use this on main display 4k. When this sluggishness happens evernote takes 5% CPU time. Its easy to replicate jsut scrolling down that all notes list in the middle and having one note open on its own windows on top of the evernote "main app". 

But today  I just felt it was interrupting my work too much, if you can help me with this cool! Also I would like to know how to improve the situation of font size suddenly changing, but it doesn't reflet on the notes "font settings". it just says for example Tahoma 9 when its 10.5 .. and it still renders text in different fonts and that kind of stuff. If I color text and start to type in to it, end of the word or middle, cursor starts to jump all over the document and I can't type anything. These kind of very interrupting things happend today in very critical moments and .. yea, hopefully those gets fixed or there could be something I could do. I wish I could use the evernote when it was pretty basic 3-4 years ago.. perhaps even 5. 

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Worth reporting to Evernote if you can get to Twitter - you don't seem to have any major load on the system from other software,  and 5% CPU / 330MB memory isn't a major thing. 

You seem to have done most tweaks already,  so the only things I can suggest would be to uninstall / reinstall the app,  and if that doesn't help,  File > Exit Evernote,  rename your databases folder and allow Evernote to recreate it from the server (NB: if you have any local notebooks,  export and reimport them !!). 

Some of my colleagues here swear by SSD's to improve performance,  but there's a bit of a cost implication there.

I'm also using three screens - two large,  one laptop,  all at 1920x1080.  Do you have an extra graphics card to drive the 3rd screen?

No doubt there will be other feedback - do post back here when you resolve this.  More questions,  meantime are also welcome.  Good luck!

Thank you!

All disks are SSD's and the one used by evernote is .M2 and its very fast and efficient. I doubt that would be the case I would have noticed it on some other applications as well before evernote. However! I'll try reinstalling and doing that database folder tip you gave me. Thanks for that! I'll come back and report the results.

ps. About the screens: I have desktop machine with Nvidia Titan Pascal on it which can support at least 3 displays at the same time. I've noticed that some applications might have problems when using high resolution screens and got something to do with "redrawing the screen" all the time in some cases. ps using this machine for heavy duty stuff, neural network, 3d and gaming. lately 3d and gaming :). 

• Level 5*

Again Hmmn...  I've no idea whether this is relevant or necessary,  but you could also try one thing which was suggested as an answer for display problems before Evernote was (allegedly) fully HD ready -

• Right-click the program's icon (or the executable file) > properties
  • Go to the Compatibility tab
  • Check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" and click on Apply

It does sound as if your system has a lot going on - does Evernote still cause problems if it is the only app running?

This time I didn't have much going on background (as seen from the processes, usually I have bigger memory footprint 70% in use and CPU ticking a lot more). Only Edge-browser playing music, one ssh connection open to server and only this evernote as I was trying to build up very important material on it and I had to use multiple notes at the same time. I will certainly test that DPI thing before trying reinstalling or database folder renaming. 

Tested it before posting this because this was a fast one to test.

Results: Disabling display scaling on high DPI settings didn't help in this case. 

Results (reinstalling, database folder):

Tested reinstalling and also removed folders from appdata local and locallow also from my user directory. I let it sync everything. Tried and same behaviour continued. Restarted machine and tried with only Evernote. Same thing happens with my laptop on windows sides. Web interface I can use but it isn't so flexible when you really need to work on your notes.

I thank you for putting so much time to help me and giving really good tips which I wished could have solved the situation. I don't mean this in any in-mature way but to keep my efficiency and flow up I must change the routines somehow and applications which I'll try. Well I have bought one year license from year 2010 (just checked that 9.4.2010 I've registered it first time). I'll test alternatives and see if they are any better. 

My guess is that they haven't updated their stuff to reflect windows 10 creators update. Chrome had same kind of behaviour at first as a browser. Not sure, this is just an educated guess coming from developer and I might be totally wrong. The list box in the UI really somehow interrupts everything and it works little bit better if I close the mainwindow and just use the notes as separated windows and edit those. But then I have to bring back the main app windows and do actions there. Asynchronous UI coding has failed in this case. 

Also one thing that really pisses me off now is that if I copy and then paste, the text comes in totally different. I already got feedback from colleague to check the fonts and layout before copy pasting from evernote to somewhere else. Aaaahhh... Extra work. 

Thanks again! And hopefully this would get better in the future. I think we can stop testing here. I'll try OneNote for now.

Kind regards,
Jouni 

Thanks! Moving to OneNote was an excellent choice, I only paid 50e more per year, got office package, 1TB space, and OneNote doesn't lag! MS Has really made good moves lately. Anyway, now I tried to cancel my account so it doesn't bill me anymore next year and I don't see it clearly where I can do that. I came here to see where I can reach the OFFICIAL support, because it was mentioned in this chain. 

Cheers,
Jouni

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, hamuf said:

Anyway, now I tried to cancel my account so it doesn't bill me anymore next year and I don't see it clearly where I can do that

You would go into your Evernote account settings > Manage Subscriptions and switch to the free Basic Account

>>I came here to see where I can reach the OFFICIAL support

Contact Evernote Support Twitter @evernotehelps  

• Level 5*

If you also want to clear out your Evernote account, 

• Backup anything you may still require and then delete all notebooks and notes from the account. 
  • Sync the 'empty' database to delete the server copies (check online to make sure this works)
  • Change your email address within Account Settings to a random alternative
  • Deactivate the account from the same place

Archived