Evernote on my Mac is constantly spinning and stopping the sync wheel

Evernote support seems to be missing in action. I opened up an official support ticket 3 days ago, but at the support site they said it would take a week to get back (I'm a premium member). The site also suggested trying Twitter help, so I wrote them yesterday, and they said I should open an official support ticket. Why doesn't Evernote add enough support staff to get back to people within a reasonable amount of time? Their support has been slow forever. 

Anyway, I'm turning here to see if anybody has ideas in the meanwhile.

Evernote on my Mac is constantly spinning and stopping the sync wheel and showing a red "!" mark when it stops. I assume this means a problem with syncing.

The activity log is showing messages like this:

Version: Evernote Mac 6.12.3 (455520)
Locale: en-JP-JP
WebKit: 604.1.38
WebCore: 604.1.38
Username: douglerner
Email: doug@xxxxxxxx
Mac Model: MacBookPro11,1
CPU Type: Intel
CPU Count: 4
CPU Speed: 2.600000 GHz
RAM: 16.000000 GB
Date: 2017-10-21 12:09:34 +0000

[ENSyncEngine(Notes) updateServerNoteFromLocalNoteWithID:resourceFileMap:attemptRetry:] | note exception thrown: <EDAMUserException: 0x604000072240; errorCode = ENML_VALIDATION; parameter = Illegal to contain CDATA;>
2017/10/21 21:09:22:537 E|*** 29419 -[ENSyncEngine(Errors) addSyncErrorForObjectWithID:title:message:underlyingError:] | Adding error: Error Domain=ENSyncEngineErrorDomain Code=-2000 "The content is invalid." UserInfo={underlyingError=<EDAMUserException: 0x604000072240; errorCode = ENML_VALIDATION; parameter = Illegal to contain CDATA;>

Any idea what I can do to get rid of the error?

Hey @douglerner

Thanks for reporting. We're already working on a fix for this sync issue. This mostly occurs to notes that were forwarded to your account via email or clipped from the web. Since you're a premium member I would recommend reaching out to our support as they can help you find out which notes are actually stopping sync. The title of the notes are stated in the log right before the error you posted above. 

Please know we're working on releasing a fix as soon as possible,

Thanks, 

Hello. As mentioned above, I started with a support ticket, but support says they are backed up a week and suggested trying Twitter support. I tried Twitter support and they said to open a support ticket. So I posted here, and you're saying to "reach out to support" but that would just take me back to the beginning. Support has all this information. They just aren't responding.

Any update on this issue? I also opened a support ticket 6 days ago & have heard nothing. This constant syncing makes Evernote unusable to me, as I use the Table of Contents & note linking via hyperlinking quite frequently. Since these options are not possible when syncing is occurring, nothing works!

Is it possible to roll back a version until a fix is actually implemented? If so, please link instructions. 

Thanks,

KG

Yes. In my case it was a single stuck note that wasn't syncing because of one character. If you look through the list of all notes, look for any with a "sync arrow" in the top right. You can export that note and delete and or do what I did was see if there were any funny characters preventing syncing.

These were the actual instructions given to me by Evernote support, but it turned out I didn't need to do all that when I found and fixed the one bad note. After fixing it it immediately synced.

---

To rebuild your Evernote for Mac database, follow these steps:

Export unsynced notes and/or local notebooks (if you have any):

1. Select all unsynced notes, or each local notebook, then right-click and select Export Notes…
  2. Choose 'Evernote XML Format (.enex)' next to Format, then Savethe file to your desktop
    • Detailed instructions here

Move your existing Evernote database:

1. Open Evernote for Mac
  2. Press and hold the Option key on your keyboard, then select Help > Troubleshooting > Open Database Folder (keep this folder open)
  3. Select Evernote > Quit Evernote from the menu bar
  4. Move the numbered folder from the database folder to your computer's desktop
    • If you have more than one numbered folder, move each one
  5. Open Evernote and log in to your Evernote account

Evernote will download all of your synced notes from the servers and create a new database on your computer. You can then import any exported notes by selecting File > Import Notes from the menu bar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2017/10/27 at 10:54 AM, douglerner said:

Move your existing Evernote database:

1. Open Evernote for Mac
  2. Press and hold the Option key on your keyboard, then select Help > Troubleshooting > Open Database Folder (keep this folder open)
  3. Select Evernote > Quit Evernote from the menu bar
  4. Move the numbered folder from the database folder to your computer's desktop
    • If you have more than one numbered folder, move each one
  5. Open Evernote and log in to your Evernote account

Evernote will download all of your synced notes from the servers and create a new database on your computer. You can then import any exported notes by selecting File > Import Notes from the menu bar.

I have done this and all hell broke loose!  My iCloud started syncing all the fragmented files off the numbered folder that was placed on the desktop.  It seems to contain 64,992 files onto the MyFiles folder in the Finder.  It's been 5 hours since it started and it's only 2/3 done.  I don't know what to do with the numbered folder on the desktop and what to do with 4 GB worth of files in MyFiles folder, which seems to be just a reflection of other files in other apps that are synced already in iCloud among other devices!!

Any suggestions, anyone?  I would very much appreciate any help!!

• 3 months later...

Archived