Notebooks within notebooks

infinitegingerkid

Idea

Greetings Evernote team! Thanking you kindly for the awesome application as always.

Much gratitude for your ever expanding progress. 

I had a curious idea that I wanted a while ago on google docs, and I'm unaware if any apps do it currently, but I feel it must be around somewhere.

Google docs kind of do it but not quite.

My desire was simply to have groups within notebooks.

For example, I may make a notebook of recipes, and desire categorical groups within the notebook, like desserts, mains, entree's and so forth. 

Any chance of such an idea manifesting? Perhaps I already can do it and I'm an imbecile.

Whatever the case, do let me know your thoughts!

Thanking you kindly for taking the time to read.

Best wishes, regards.

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  There is a lot of Forum content on "folder hierarchies",  nested folders etc (meaning nested notebooks).  A number of users favor the sub-notebook route,  but an equally vocal group (and most importantly for this discussion,  Evernote themselves) seem to prefer not having that sort of nesting.  Arguments include the fact that one note can be a member of many different classification 'trees',  and appplying several tags to a note means you only have to have one note,  where a nested notebook scheme would require two or more copies of the same note.  Many note apps include this architecture,  Evernote does not.

There is one work-around - the tag system can be nested,  so if you want to ensure that you always choose the right word with which to tag your note,  you can go to personal > health .. and choose > diet for your note.  No matter how many tags you have it can always be collapsed into one screen to view all categories.  The same idea can also be used to file your tags  alphabetically and go by initial letter.

Tips for organizing notes, notebooks, and tags

• Level 5*
On 2017-10-22 at 10:42 PM, infinitegingerkid said:

My desire was simply to have groups within notebooks.

For example, I may make a notebook of recipes, and desire categorical groups within the notebook, like desserts, mains, entree's and so forth. 

Evernote doesn't provide a hierarchy feature within notebooks, but there is a Stack feature
A group of notebooks can be collected in a stack

As @gazumped mentioned; the Tags feature might be better suited for your recipe example
Unlited hierarchy, and the recipe can be included in multiple groups

Archived