Evernote Ate My Note

A couple of days ago I pasted a URL into a note, and for whatever reason that caused it to delete all but the first few words of the note – months of writing vanished in an instant. Since I was on a phone I couldn't just Ctrl-Z to get it back. Even more unfortunately, when I tried to copy/paste it out of the Windows app to save it, before I could it synced before my eyes, turning into the useless mess from the Android app. Before that I had hoped that it was just a bug in the Android version and hadn't affected the server-side version.

When I try to put in a support ticket it tells me I need to put in a support ticket, keeping me in a highly frustrating and endless loop. Since I am not a Premium user it seems like there is no way to recover my lost data, and I absolutely refuse to give you money just because a bug in your software cost me months of work. I have now switched to Simplenote. They let me sync to my phone, desktop, and laptop instead of having to choose two of them; have versioning for situations like this one; and have Markdown support, which I use in every note that isn't simply a list. And they somehow do it all for free.

I suffered a traumatic brain injury in a car vs bicycle crash 20 years ago. One of the major results of that is memory loss. I can't always retain a thought for more than a minute, so it's vitally important that I write things down. For years I resisted getting a smartphone – but then I learned that there was an Evernote Android app that could replace the notebook I've carried in my back pocket for years. Yep, Evernote is the only reason I got my first smartphoe 11 months ago. So you can imagine my disappointment at having to give it up.

• Level 5

Hi, @fewilcox, and welcome to these forums, which are mainly user-to-user, so you're not really addressing Evernote as a company here. FWIW, although it won't help your situation now, there is an Undo function in the Android app, accessed via the 3-dot menu in the top right of a note (you may need to scroll down). Also FWIW, it's possible (and done fairly commonly) to purchase just one month of Premium service just to recover note history on a damaged note; I don't know whether that would seem worth the cost.

I know nothing about Simplenote, but I certainly understand your need for such a service, and I hope it will work well for you.

• Level 5*
On 2017-10-22 at 2:40 PM, fewilcox said:

Since I am not a Premium user it seems like there is no way to recover my lost data

I maintain personal backups and can recover lost data.

Archived