Sign in to follow this  
bodhica

Note corrupted, then erased

Last night, when I attempted to open a note on my Android device that I had been writing for the past week, the note would not open. Then a message appeared that I was trying to sync a corrupted note, and gave me two options to recover the note. I selected the option to send the note to Evernote for analysis. Then I was returned to the Evernote home screen, and the content of the note was totally erased. The note still showed in my note list, but all content and the heading of the note were empty, and a red exclamation mark icon was displayed in the top right of the note on the note list, where normally an upward arrow displays if the note has not been synced.

I have checked my trash folder in Evernote, as well as my Evernote account on the Windows application and Evernote web. The note does not display in any of these places at all, although the empty note with the heading "Untitled Note" still displays on my Android device. Therefore I am unable to use the note history function to retrieve the content that was in the note. I upgraded to Evernote Premium just to use this feature, but it does not help me.

This note contained all of my writings for the last week. Evernote has erased a large amount of irreplaceable data, and I need to retrieve it. Please help me.

This is one of three occasions that my writings on Evernote have been lost without explanation. I think that this kind of event negates the purpose Evernote. This is really an unforgivable error for an application which users rely on solely for the purpose of preserving their data. For this reason, I've begun looking for alternative applications.

1 hour ago, bodhica said:

Therefore I am unable to use the note history function to retrieve the content that was in the note. I upgraded to Evernote Premium just to use this feature, but it does not help me.

This note contained all of my writings for the last week. Evernote has erased a large amount of irreplaceable data, and I need to retrieve it. Please help me.

If you've been updating your note for a week, my expectation is tha the Note History data woud show various versions of your note
If not, the corruption issue must have been happening for the entire week
I'd be interested in the response from Support on this.  You should open a support tiicket at Contact Evernote Support

I've already opened a support ticket. As mentioned above, the note does not display at all in any location other than my Android device where it was created, and there it shows only an empty note with the heading 'Untitled Note'. On Evernote for Windows and Evernote Web the note is is not in the notes list at all. I had been adding text to this note all week and I assume it synced as my phone is always online, but it doesn't display.

Do you have access to the Activity Log on Android.  It might give you some information on the issues

I’m seeing two issues; note corruption and not syncing

I've moved this discussion to the Android Help forum

I'm sorry, but nothing has been posted in the Android help forum for the last seven months. It seems to me my post is unlikely to be seen here, and this is not a question about Android, it's a question about missing notes. Do you move every technical support post on here to the forum about an operating system. Because if that's the case, I suspect there wouldn't be seven months since the last post. Are you trying to file my post away, so others don't see the bug I'm experiencing with the Evernote application? I need help!

23 minutes ago, bodhica said:

It seems to me my post is unlikely to be seen here

No problem, I’ve moved your post back to General Discussions

>>Are you trying to file my post away, so others don't see the bug I'm experiencing with the Evernote application?

My purpose in moving your note was

• It will be viewed specifically as a Help Request and viewed by users more experienced with the Android platform
    Now you have to deal with us users who know nothing of the Android platform
  • It won’t waste the time of users with no Android connection

@bodhica, these are user-to-user help forums, and some senior users have quasi-administrative abilities, which is how @DTLow moved your post to the Android forum, and then back to General. The Android forum is fairly active, with new posts pretty much every day.

What's happening with your note is a little beyond my experience and knowledge, but I certainly understand your alarm. The fact that it doesn't show up at all in the Web interface would probably be the reason that note history is not available, as you indicate. In the Android app, when you open the note and tap the i-circle icon for information, what does it show as created and updated dates? That's all the "note history" that's available through the app, unfortunately, but it might be of some use.

@DTLow's suggestion to check the Activity Log might be worth a shot. You should be able to access it in the Android app, through the main menu, then Settings > Support > Send Activity Log. You can e-mail the log to yourself. This creates an e-mail with text in the body and an attached .zip file with a lot of technical stuff; and this might be useful in communicating with Evernote support regarding your support ticket.

Thank you very much for moving the post back :)

I have good news.. I checked Evernote for Windows again and noticed that the corrupted note had somehow been saved in a different notebook than my other notes. I don't know how this happened. Once I located it I was able to use the note history feature and recover the note.

However this still poses a problem for future usage: I use Evernote for its security and reliability. Now that this issue with note corruption has appeared, will I have to subscribe to a month of Premium membership ($8) every time this occurs in order to recover my lost notes? This is a flaw that fundamentally undercuts the value that Evernote provides. At the least, I don't think I should be charged for this feature under these circumstances.

9 minutes ago, bodhica said:

Now that this issue with note corruption has appeared, will I have to subscribe to a month of Premium membership ($8) every time this occurs in order to recover my lost notes?

I have personal backups running on my Mac; Time Machine, daily incremental and weekly full.  In addition to avoiding premimium membership, this allows access to previous versions even if the current version is missing

I am traveling and usually only have access to my Android device. Isn't Evernote supposed to be the backup? The whole premise of the service is that it is a reliable and secure place to save your data which is backed up on the cloud and among various devices. If I have to exert so much effort to back up Evernote, why am I using it?

1 hour ago, bodhica said:

Isn't Evernote supposed to be the backup?

I consider Evernote one level of my backups; if my devices fail, data syncing means I can access my data on other devices or the cloud

Unfortunately, this also means corrupted data gets sync’d.  This is why I have other backup levels

The corruption gremlins may be in my fingers, my computer, the software, the servers; regardless, I will not lose data

20 hours ago, bodhica said:

I have good news.. I checked Evernote for Windows again and noticed that the corrupted note had somehow been saved in a different notebook than my other notes. I don't know how this happened. Once I located it I was able to use the note history feature and recover the note.

However this still poses a problem for future usage: I use Evernote for its security and reliability. Now that this issue with note corruption has appeared, will I have to subscribe to a month of Premium membership ($8) every time this occurs in order to recover my lost notes? This is a flaw that fundamentally undercuts the value that Evernote provides. At the least, I don't think I should be charged for this feature under these circumstances.

I'm glad you were able to retrieve the note! It is very, very puzzling how it got moved to another notebook entirely (still on the same account, I presume). I hope you're able to pursue this vigorously with Evernote support and get some kind of answer. I agree (considering your other post as well) that if you want Evernote to be a more secure repository for your work than the Android mobile device which is all you have to work with, this is a serious issue. There really needs to be some kind of explanation, whether it lies in some server glitch, an error during the sync process, or some user inadvertence that one would want to avoid once one knew what it was.