Constant syncing....

I am running High Sierra on my Mac and Evernote is 6.12.3. I am running into an issue which is REALLY slowing down my productivity. That issue is that it is constantly syncing. I turned off all the options for syncing and selected manual but it doesn't make any difference. Not only is it syncing often but it's SOOO slow... It seems like it takes forever when I first open up Evernote. I am a Premium user. I do have a lot of notes (17000). But this constant syncing is very annoying. I can't do anything until it finishes which I mentioned TAKES FOREVER. Or so it seems. Anyone else run into this issue? Thank you for taking the time to read this. 

• 11 months later...

I still see this issue occasionally. It seems to be better but at times the CPU is really working hard-too hard in my opinion for what is actually happening. 

What do you mean by "logging in and out of Google may stop it"? I am not signed into Google when I use Evernote. I am using Chrome these days. 

I log out of Evernote Desktop for Mac app and then log back in using the option log in via a Google account, although I am not sure that really helps.

I was told by support that disk usage is high due to indexing.

I also see Evernote syncing (the rotating arrows move) when there are no notes to sync.

On Activity Monitor, what is your Disk usage?  If you log out of the app it resets the Byes Written for Evernote. I tried doing that, and it wrote 25GB in about 10-15minutes. The total goes way higher if I leave the app open. This is really messed up.

I am trying to figure out a way of using the app completely offline, while remaining connected to the internet for my other apps.

1 hour ago, evernoteforumQ said:

I am trying to figure out a way of using the app completely offline, while remaining connected to the internet for my other apps.

Keep us updated on how offline use works for you.  I am interested as I do not typically use EN without an internet connection.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, evernoteforumQ said:

You can use Local Notebooks; your data is not sync'd to the Evernote servers.
Make sure you maintain proper backups.

A small point.  The login to your account requires an internet call to the Evernote servers.

Hi DTLow,

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I want to disconnect the app from the Internet.

It keeps syncing when there is nothing to sync and I cannot stop it, other than by disconnecting my entire computer.

I don't want to do that, so I just want to disconnect the app. Unfortunately, logging out doesn't help as that shuts the app down.

BTW, in the past few hours, Evernote has written 213GB to my disk despite me doing nothing!!!   (I reset the count on Activity Monitor by quitting Evernote)

BTW2, I want to export my ENEX files but all I get is downloading content box and nothing happens.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, evernoteforumQ said:

It keeps syncing when there is nothing to sync and I cannot stop it, other than by disconnecting my entire computer.
BTW, in the past few hours, Evernote has written 213GB to my disk despite me doing nothing!!!   (I reset the count on Activity Monitor by quitting Evernote)

You might want to contact support at https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

My self help solution is to delete the app, database, ...  then reinstall
The app AppCleaner is recommended for this
Reinstall the app, login and the database will be rebuilt from the servers.  Warning, the rebuild does not  include Local Notebooks or unsync'd notes.

Thanks I was thinking of that. Two issues:

1) I need to back up my local notes but cannot export ENEX files (or HTML files). I get a box saying downloading files (should say exporting as they are local notes!) and nothing happens.

2) I have 3000 online notes and am worried about my ISP throttling my bandwidth again (they did before). How many GB would that be to download?

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, evernoteforumQ said:

I need to back up my local notes 

local notes or Local Notebooks?

Why do you have to backup local notes?
Perhaps backup the database folder.

I have two local notebook containing a total of 4000 local notes, and three synced notebooks containing a total of 3,000 notes.

If I back up the database folder would that include stuff that might be faulty? (ideally I would like to back up just the local notes/local notebooks)

How do I back up the database folder and could you give me a rough estimate of how many GB 3000 online notes would be to re-sync?

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, evernoteforumQ said:

2) I have 3000 online notes and am worried about my ISP throttling my bandwidth again (they did before). How many GB would that be to download?

How long is a  piece of string?
Actual notes don't use much space. It's the attachments that add up.

You can get an idea by checking the size of your database folder.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, evernoteforumQ said:

ideally I would like to back up just the local notes/local notebooks)

Is your export problem occurring with the Local Notebook?

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, evernoteforumQ said:

Yes, it works fine for the synced notebooks for some reason! Only the local notebooks cannot export in either html or ENEX.

Where are they located in the database folder?

The notes are stored alongside sync'd notes.

Im thinking you need to contact Evernote support.

Every user with Local Notebooks must maintain ongoing backups.  Ongoing!!!  Not just today.
At any moment, issues like you're having can result in the database being rebuilt.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, evernoteforumQ said:

If I  delete and reinstall the app only

Reinstalling the app does not affect the database.

Your TM backups will include a backup of the database folder.  That's a useable ongoing backup.

Archived