Evernote for Mac 6.13 Beta 4

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi all - 

Today we're announcing 6.13 Beta 4 - get it here or check for updates in your app. This release fixes a few issues spotted by the Beta community including 

• An issue with reminder subscriptions - thanks @Vincent Noel and others for spotting that the subscribe to reminders dialog couldn't be dismissed.
  • An issue where the default notebook doesn't correctly fall back when none is specified for business users 
  • An issue where sync'ing never completes for a business user when she publishes a notebook immediately after registering

Please let us know if you spot anything else critical. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac team 

6.13 and app updates going forwards will be supported on OS X El Capitan (10.11) and above

Improved

• Sharing: consolidated share options under the "Share" button in Evernote. Share a note, choose to create a public link or modify share permissions all from one place. 
  • Navigation and Commanding UI: we've made some adjustments to provide more space for your content using a narrower toolbar, and making some tweaks to the sidebar to improve legibility. We've also improved the Move Note dialog to make it even faster to move a note across accounts by listing all notebooks from both your business and personal accounts directly in the dialog. 

Fixed
We fixed many issues in this release, here are some of the notable issues addressed. 

• Fixed an issue where notebooks are sometimes duplicated on upgrade
  • Fixed several crashes including intermittent issues around moving notes, app launch, and on PDF annotation
  • Fixed an issue where the Evernote app window sometimes appears black when in full screen mode

--------------

Screenshots

Simplified user interface with a more minimal toolbar 

image.thumb.png.14fb459dad0fd8298c4dc4f3263b4a4d.png 

Improved sharing dialog 

image.thumb.png.6e44be5c0f6f0e33a20b1cc07b5b3937.png

21 replies to this idea

• Level 5
12 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Are you sure you want to to participate in the beta testing process?

I sure don't! I'd love it if this worked like it should. We pay to use the software. Not to test & debug it. The software should generally work. When it breaks, we should be able to report issues and get them handled in an efficient manner. Before new features are released, they should be heavily tested internally and pushed to the public after they are deemed stable instead of an outsourced development team tossing stuff over a wall and breaking things badly. This costs people time, energy, or worse—data loss.

The whole process is extremely broken and has been for some time, probably since before Libin left. I realize most EN users are "free" users. I understand EN has to pander to the lowest common denominator and cut corners because there isn't enough revenue to support a proper dev & QA cycle. That is a business problem and one that I cannot solve nor have an answer for. What I do know is that if EN wants to continue to operate as a business, it must be addressed at some point or things are just going to get worse.

Right now the alternative (using the ancient 6.11 version which has even more problems on newer OS'es) is worse. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

On 24/10/2017 at 10:50 AM, nicolml said:

Thanks for pointing this out. We're aware of this sync issue and our devs are working on a fix. 

Thats what you said last time a month ago.  It may be worth while to freeze all beta work and focus on the sync issues. As a previous poster said, sync has to be bullet-proof as it is core to EN.  Get sync right then come back to all the little things.

17 hours ago, JLMP said:

Hi, I want to report uou a bug in evernote mac .13 beta 4. When you set the notes @ the visual as “small side menu” some notes on the list disappears buy anyway you can see the preview on the right. Usually if tou change the notebook and you come back you can see everything....

We're aware of this and will have a fix soon. Thanks. 

• Level 5*
On 10/20/2017 at 4:25 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

We're actively investigating a few specific bugs with sync - if you can let me know what you're encountering, I or the team can comment further. 

Here you go -- another sync bug report:

7 minutes ago, douglerner said:

Evernote on my Mac is constantly spinning and stopping the sync wheel and showing a red "!" mark when it stops. I assume this means a problem with syncing.

The activity log is showing messages like this:

Version: Evernote Mac 6.12.3 (455520)
Locale: en-JP-JP

• Level 5*
On 10/20/2017 at 4:25 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

We're actively investigating a few specific bugs with sync - if you can let me know what you're encountering, I or the team can comment further. 

Here's another sync issue report, just in case you are not aware of it:

On 10/21/2017 at 8:58 AM, mrstucci said:

I am running High Sierra on my Mac and Evernote is 6.12.3. I am running into an issue which is REALLY slowing down my productivity. That issue is that it is constantly syncing. I turned off all the options for syncing and selected manual but it doesn't make any difference. Not only is it syncing often but it's SOOO slow... It seems like it takes forever when I first open up Evernote. I am a Premium user. I do have a lot of notes (17000). But this constant syncing is very annoying. I can't do anything until it finishes which I mentioned TAKES FOREVER. Or so it seems. Anyone else run into this issue? Thank you for taking the time to read this. 

Hi, I want to report uou a bug in evernote mac .13 beta 4. When you set the notes @ the visual as “small side menu” some notes on the list disappears buy anyway you can see the preview on the right. Usually if tou change the notebook and you come back you can see everything....

• Level 5*

Those prices are for the service. You could do most of that on the web. They give free software to access the service on various clients, and open their service to 3rd party apps with their API, again free. Plus they have their own addins that are free, like the web clipper, or Scannable on iOS, Skitch, etc.

• Level 5*
On 2017-10-21 at 1:16 PM, luckman212 said:

I sure don't!

Then don't install the beta versions; stick to the GA releases59ebacbfb0646_ScreenShot2017-10-21at13_22_24.png.b44b19be3c278ae7440ec389316fd809.png
Turn off the beta upgrades in your Evernote Preferences

>>We pay to use the software. 

Evernote does not charge for the software or updates

edited;  There are account levels ranging from Basic (free) to Business.  They all use the same free software

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, luckman212 said:

Have any of the bugs I've reported been worked on? In each release post you say some variant of "Let us know if you spot any issues" but then proceed to ignore the bugreports being sent by myself and others. It's like a trip to the insane asylum!  There are bugs that go all the way back to 6.12GA that have not been addressed. This is the 8th release in the bug-ridden 6.12/6.13 series.

6.12.3beta
6.13beta1
6.13beta2
6.13beta3

And now this. Why start a new thread for each one? The idea of using a forum for collecting beta feedback and bug reports is not wise. Either make a public bugtracking system so people can view the status of the fixes & not post duplicates of the same bug --OR-- just do away with the feedback forum altogether and stop pretending to care what the public thinks. The current system is maddening.

I think they do track them, but it is a colossal pain for the end user to track. I have to bookmark the bugs I really want to track and keep testing. Often the fixes aren't reported in the release notes if it was an obscure bug.

I would love it if they would:

• acknowledge every bug they track. They acknowledge some, but I know they track more than they acknowledge.
  • Give us a tracking number
  • Give us a way to track the status of it.
    • in queue
    • working on
    • delayed until at least release x.x
    • not going to fix/closed.
    • fixed in ver x.x/closed.
  • Level 5*
34 minutes ago, luckman212 said:

And now this. Why start a new thread for each one?

Yes, there’s a new discussion for each release starting with the post summarizing the key points and the download location.

Are you sure you want to to participate in the beta testing process?59eba6ae3408d_ScreenShot2017-10-21at12_56_14.png.4343b0c8358a682c1c2f9ca578293df6.png
On Macs, we get this warning in Preferences
You might want to stick with the GA releases

>>make a public bugtracking system so people can view the status of the fixes & not post duplicates of the same bug

A public bugtracking system is a good idea.  
I also appreciate when the summary includes a section for bugs being worked on
Personally, I try to not repeat my bug reports and stick with the specifics of the release.

• Level 5

Have any of the bugs I've reported been worked on? In each release post you say some variant of "Let us know if you spot any issues" but then proceed to ignore the bugreports being sent by myself and others. It's like a trip to the insane asylum!  There are bugs that go all the way back to 6.12GA that have not been addressed. This is the 8th release in the bug-ridden 6.12/6.13 series.

6.12.3beta
6.13beta1
6.13beta2
6.13beta3

And now this. Why start a new thread for each one? The idea of using a forum for collecting beta feedback and bug reports is not wise. Either make a public bugtracking system so people can view the status of the fixes & not post duplicates of the same bug --OR-- just do away with the feedback forum altogether and stop pretending to care what the public thinks. The current system is maddening.

20 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Screenshots

Simplified user interface with a more minimal toolbar 

image.thumb.png.14fb459dad0fd8298c4dc4f3263b4a4d.png  

This screenshot shows a toolbar icon—at the upper right and to the left of the sync icon—that I don't see. It appears to be an image of a bug. Perhaps a bug reporter?

3 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

@JMichaelTX  We're actively investigating a few specific bugs with sync - if you can let me know what you're encountering, I or the team can comment further. 

Ditto @JMichaelTX on the sync issues. Simply copy/pasting text or hitting return triggers a sync, even though my Preferences are set to "Manually" sync. The sync settings in preferences have no effect, no matter how they are set.

During a sync, the app is unusable. Syncing time is also extensive, with a single change sometimes taking >20 seconds to sync. Prior to the last dot-release, this constant syncing would generate numerous note conflicts; this has been reduced somewhat with the latest release, but still occurs more than it should.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

In addition to the above, my sync issue is a conflict notebook/note generated each morning at 7am
I'm not at computer but I have a note updated by an ifttt applet.  This gets sync'd to the Mac and the Mac is generating a conflict

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Here are the sync issues I am aware of:

1. Sync runs continuously, or near-continuously
  2. Sync runs immediately after an edit, even though the user has set Sync Preference for a longer interval, or even OFF.
  3. While sync is running, the app becomes unresponsive, clicking on different Notes in the Note List shows a blank Note Content, even though it has content (shown when not syncing)

There may be more.  If you search the release topics for the last several Betas, you should find them.  Of  course, it is best to search the forum in general for "sync".

Sync is a core feature of Evernote, and it must be bullet-proof for us to have confidence in using Evernote.

@JMichaelTX the larger release notes are the ones we end up including in the GA so we only augment those when we add functionality, or fix a bug that would be new to our previous GA users. I'll call out specifics in the first part of the announcement whenever I post. 

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Today we're announcing 6.13 Beta 4 - get it here or check for updates in your app. This release fixes a few issues spotted by the Beta community

Thanks for the bug fixes.

Could you please make it clear what exactly has changed with this release?  The release notes in the lower part of your post appear to be for this release, when in fact they refer to the previous release.  That is NOT obvious nor clear.

12 minutes ago, Chantal Leonard said:

An issue where sync'ing never completes for a business user when she publishes a notebook immediately after registering

What about the other sync issues?  Have they been confirmed and/or fixed?

See:

Archived