Johndoe7

Is there a way to format text notes more conveniently ?

I was recently wondering whether there is a way to do something about Evernote's poor formatting capabilities. I’ ve tried using Marxico but I was sorely disappointed with its inability to edit notes created in Evernote app. The main reason why I prefer Evernote over the other note-taking apps is the Web Clipper extension which IMO constitutes the best tool for collecting information from the Web.However, lack of styles that can be applied with a keyboard shortcut like in MS Word, makes writing anything of considerable length or more sophisticated structure a nightmare. Therefore I’m looking for a way to edit text notes more conveniently.I’d like to mention that I’ve tried solutions involving ahk scripts to automate formatting, unfortunately, none of them worked properly. Perhaps there are some 3rd party apps (Other than the aforementioned Marxico) with decent formatting capabilities that can access Evernote account? No need to say Evernote should have introduced styles long ago, sadly it didn’t happen and I have no hope to see that functionality in the nearest future.

• Like 1

On 2017-10-20 at 11:43 AM, Johndoe7 said:

I’m looking for a way to edit text notes more conveniently

I find the Evernote editor adequate for basic notes
For extended features, I use alternate editors.  There are many choices available depending on your requirements.
For example, on my Ipad I use Notability.  I store the document as a note attachment in both native and pdf format

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

There are many choices available depending on your requirements.

I know about Alternote but to my knowledge, it's only available on Mac. Are there any decent alternative editors that run on Windows or Web? My primary requirement is convenient formatting(with keyboard shortcuts). 

16 hours ago, Johndoe7 said:

Are there any decent alternative editors that run on Windows or Web?

I'd suggest a web search,  and some testing - only you know exactly what you're looking for.  I use Word and MS Publisher when I want 'joined up' styling,  otherwise I too find the standard Evernote tools adequate for ad-hoc notes.

I've done some more in-depth research and I found this: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/alternote-editor/hljkfahiahjhhpmpihngnommookkneji

Someone Implemented Alternote as  Chrome extension.   It allows formatting with keyboard shortcuts and you can choose between different styles of headings. Selecting notes to edit is a bit cumbersome though. You have to be logged in to Evernote web, then pick a note and run the extension. Nevertheless, for Windows users, this is probably the best currently available alternative.

• Like 2

I've been agonising over this too.

There are many options, but all have negatives: restricted platforms, relatively expensive subscriptions, no hidden markdown, or just plain ugly.

My favourite would be Typora if there was an iOS app; but it's just Windows or MacOS. For me that's a big but.

Next is the beautiful Bear Notes, but it's Apple ecosystem only, and displays distracting heading markdown.

Dropbox Paper is great, but although it has excellent mobile apps, it has no off-line access on the Desktop. It's handling of images and other attachments in notes is outstanding.  It also has good tables. No tags but I make my own using #hashtags

Dropbox's target audience seems to be business teams, so they're not motivated to fix the offline app problem. 

Not the end of the world, I can use it on my iPad Pro if off the grid.

OneNote I find nice looking with good formatting options, but unwieldy and clunky with poor tagging options.

The long-form writing app Scrivener is really powerful, cross platform, and very reasonably priced, but overly complex, and downright ugly.

Ulysses is outstanding for long-form writing, but for note-taking their new subscription model is expensive relative to other options, and the markdown is intrusive, although that's fixable with some theme "tweaking".

Dropbox Paper wins for me so far for everyday notes, with Evernote for web pages, scanned stuff, photos, and everything but the kitchen sink that I need to be taggable and searchable.

1 hour ago, Mistywindow said:

I've been agonising over this too.

Have you tried MS Word or Apple Pages.  These were specifically designed for formatting documents.  I add the documents as attachments to a note; evernote works well with office/iwork documents.

On 10/25/2017 at 9:29 PM, Johndoe7 said:

I've done some more in-depth research and I found this: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/alternote-editor/hljkfahiahjhhpmpihngnommookkneji

Someone Implemented Alternote as  Chrome extension.   It allows formatting with keyboard shortcuts and you can choose between different styles of headings. Selecting notes to edit is a bit cumbersome though. You have to be logged in to Evernote web, then pick a note and run the extension. Nevertheless, for Windows users, this is probably the best currently available alternative.

You are the man! This solves so many issues that I have had!

So, the only solution is to use something other than Evernote? Well, then, goodbye Evernote. ?

• Like 1

I have so much data in Evernote that I cannot change without taking a major hit to productivity (which Evernote purports to solve). In any case, all I want to be able to do are the following:

1. Indent text

2. Format text after importing (text frequently gets pasted in at 1.5+ line spacing which takes up an enormous amount of space in my notes). I just want to reset the line spacing to 1.0

3. Strike-through

4. Apply current font. Almost all my text comes from Outlook-Mac as Calibri, but I am unable to select this font when importing text from other sources. The end result is my notes look disheveled with various fonts appearing in a single note.

On 9/18/2018 at 11:06 PM, michaeldom said:

I have so much data in Evernote that I cannot change without taking a major hit to productivity

I have nearly 44,000 notes - a lot of which are scrappy random bits of drawing or text associated with a project,  plus related web clips,  images and emails and occasional scanned documents.  Where I need to put things together in a 'tidy' manner I use Word,  or -less frequently- Publisher for posters or leaflets.  The source documentation stays in my notes,  and the public version is in a document file attached to a note so it can be opened anywhere I have software to edit it.  Those notes get shared,  or the attachments emailed,  as necessary.

I'm lucky (I guess) in that I don't care what my source stuff looks like.  (Though there's one notebook that I share a lot and that has tables and some layout but is otherwise pretty basic too.)

IMHO the joy of Evernote is that I can find all my source material (plus the bits I forgot I already had) and refer to that in building a report or a presentation.  Evernote is not a word processor,  and the menus would be hopelessly complicated if text style a layout commands were added.  I use a dedicated word processor in the same way I use a spreadsheet if I'm crunching numbers,  or a mind-manager app to draw relationships.

I'd suggest you could change your workflow for all new projects and operate on something like my basis - if you've been living with Evernote for a while,  you must have an existing method for working around its limitations - keep on doing that for existing work and just change your approach of the new.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2017 at 2:43 PM, Johndoe7 said:

I was recently wondering whether there is a way to do something about Evernote's poor formatting capabilities. I’ ve tried using Marxico but I was sorely disappointed with its inability to edit notes created in Evernote app. The main reason why I prefer Evernote over the other note-taking apps is the Web Clipper extension which IMO constitutes the best tool for collecting information from the Web.However, lack of styles that can be applied with a keyboard shortcut like in MS Word, makes writing anything of considerable length or more sophisticated structure a nightmare. Therefore I’m looking for a way to edit text notes more conveniently.I’d like to mention that I’ve tried solutions involving ahk scripts to automate formatting, unfortunately, none of them worked properly. Perhaps there are some 3rd party apps (Other than the aforementioned Marxico) with decent formatting capabilities that can access Evernote account? No need to say Evernote should have introduced styles long ago, sadly it didn’t happen and I have no hope to see that functionality in the nearest future.

Yes, you have listed something i’ve been saying for 2-33 years. The IOS editor is sore on the eyes and miserable to edit. Yeah you should have to learn how to do scripts and work arounds. The application should be a simple and straightforward editor that allows flexibility and good formatting. Good to see I’m not the only one. May I suggest, posting another thread outlining what you’d like in the “feature request” section of the forums? 

• Thanks 1

While @gazumped is right, that Evernote is no word processor, I still find it bewildering the everyone left and right is implementing smart formatting and Markdown pretty easily, while making a Heading in EN is a major task. Why? This is the only thing keeping me from completely doing stuff in there except journaling...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mat_rhein said:

while making a Heading in EN is a major task. Why?

This isn't a votable thread,  but there are request discussions out there somewhere,  requesting both markup and line spacing and text styles.  Despite the frustration that you and others clearly feel,  Evernote apparently doesn't have the incentive to invest in the additional work to implement this.  With 225M+ active users,  they're developing new features slowly and (presumably) in line with the most popular (and practical) requests they receive.  The editor might be a slow one to implement,  because they're unlikely to recode it for Markdown,  and then do it all over to add more fonts,  and then again to improve tables...  This seems like a project where you'd want to be very sure of the exact scope before you start working on anything.

I'm with @mat_rhein.  Adding Markdown would be a huge plus. Over the past few months, I've started moving more of my content into Evernote primarily so I know where everything is and only have to search in one place.  And while I agree with @gazumped that the power of EN is the search and findability, I really lament the drawbacks of the editor.  The one thing I won't do in EN is journaling because I use DayOne and the interface is so easy to use that it makes me WANT to journal, where often I find the EN editor makes me want to go use Word then save it in EN. 

7 hours ago, Brendan Murphy said:

I find the EN editor makes me want to go use Word then save it in EN. 

Ooh, just saw this thread on a tool someone built to help with 

The external editors/formats will always provide extended features.  I have no problem saving the documents as attachments in Evernote.

I agree, the Evertool utility is very useful when working with the Evernote editor; it provides formatting and markdown

On 10/20/2017 at 2:43 PM, Johndoe7 said:

This is very true and has been a lacking feature / update. I’ve been saying for years how the formatting capabilities have been limited, hard to use and overall not efficient. 

Personally, I only ever want to create pretty barebones notes, so I don't have many needs that are unfulfilled in the desktop (Mac) version. The one major one, though, is the line spacing. As others mentioned, when I cut and paste, half the time everything seems to be imported at 1.5 or other strange spacing intervals. Why 1.0 is not the default, I will never know. This happens even when I use "Paste as Plain Text" ... which seems insane. 

Can Evernote pleeeeease just add this to the formatting toolbar? It seems like it would take five minutes of coding in a subsequent update.

My bigger issue is on the mobile app (Android), where almost no text formatting exists. Can I really not even change the font of selected text? Or the font size? I have the option to add SUBSCRIPT and EXPONENTS/FOOTNOTES .... but I can't just make the entire note have the same font/font size? That is BONKERS. Or am I missing something obvious? 

Please add font selection and font size options to the mobile Android app. This seems like the most basic thing ever. 

Welcome to the forums, @wadejared! Yes to bonkers, no to missing anything obvious. :) If you go to the Android Product Feedback / Feature Requests forum, you can search for "font" or just browse through the headers for font-related topics. When you find one you want to support, go to it and click on the upward-pointing arrow at the top of the page to vote for it.