Some important PDF Functionality Lost with the new release

Phil A

Idea

The PDFs are now scrollable which is fine if you have a short PDF but previously when you scrolled over the PDF a menu popped up that allowed you to go directly to the beginning or end or simply click through the pages. Also in that same scroll over menu there was an icon to open the PDF in your PDF program and to annotate, now that functionality is in the right click menu. But the thing that we used all the time in the scroll over menu and that worked great was the far right icon on the scroll over menu that allowed you to click and drag the entire PDF into say an e-mail for instance. It made attaching and handling PDFs a breeze. So basically I am extremely disappointed with the new functionality of the PDFs. The new version has lost functions that made it a breeze to use. To recap--

• No way to get to the beginning or end of the PDF quickly.
  • No way to click through the PDF pages (you now have to scroll)
  • To annotate or open a PDF in a separate program you now have to right click and look for the option in the list of options where before you could just click the icon.
  • No way to drag the PDF into another program. Where previously you just right clicked and dragged over the icon to for instance attached a PDF to an e-mail, now you have to save it to your hard drive and then go to you e-mail program, click attached and find the file.

I would very much like the lost functionality back. Include it in the header. Include a scroll over menu similar to the previous one. Please, please, please re-instate the lost functionality. Thanks for listening. - Phil

Also found out since I first wrote this that the new release also apparently does not allow you to type text in to the note that contains the PDF. I was always was able to hit ENTER after inputting the title which took you directly to the first line of the note pushing the PDF down one line and then you could type the text that you wanted. This was always a good way to for instance explain what the PDF contained or why you kept it, etc. Really upset not to have that function go away.

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5

I don't have answers for all of your issues, but:

• You can navigate between individual PDF pages by clicking on the PDF and using the left/right arrow keys
  • You can go to a specific page by clicking on the page number in the header and entering the desired page
  • Level 5*
On 10/18/2017 at 11:49 AM, Phil A said:

The PDFs are now scrollable which is fine if you have a short PDF but previously when you scrolled over the PDF a menu popped up that allowed you to go directly to the beginning or end or simply click through the pages. Also in that same scroll over menu there was an icon to open the PDF in your PDF program and to annotate, now that functionality is in the right click menu. But the thing that we used all the time in the scroll over menu and that worked great was the far right icon on the scroll over menu that allowed you to click and drag the entire PDF into say an e-mail for instance. It made attaching and handling PDFs a breeze. So basically I am extremely disappointed with the new functionality of the PDFs. The new version has lost functions that made it a breeze to use. To recap--

• No way to get to the beginning or end of the PDF quickly.
  • No way to click through the PDF pages (you now have to scroll)
  • To annotate or open a PDF in a separate program you now have to right click and look for the option in the list of options where before you could just click the icon.
  • No way to drag the PDF into another program. Where previously you just right clicked and dragged over the icon to for instance attached a PDF to an e-mail, now you have to save it to your hard drive and then go to you e-mail program, click attached and find the file.

I would very much like the lost functionality back. Include it in the header. Include a scroll over menu similar to the previous one. Please, please, please re-instate the lost functionality. Thanks for listening. - Phil

Also found out since I first wrote this that the new release also apparently does not allow you to type text in to the note that contains the PDF. I was always was able to hit ENTER after inputting the title which took you directly to the first line of the note pushing the PDF down one line and then you could type the text that you wanted. This was always a good way to for instance explain what the PDF contained or why you kept it, etc. Really upset not to have that function go away.

Amen, particularly the drag/drop and open in another app icons.

Thanks for the additional info on navigation. I did try what you suggested. The navigation via the arrow keys requires that you highlight the last page number and then you can use the arrow keys and Home and End work, too! But it is oh so clunky compared to the former rollover menu where everything was right there. Why not put the icons and everything that was in the rollover menu in the header that drops down on the PDF. That way you have the best of both worlds, i.e the same functionality as before plus the scrollable PDF. Win Win!!

And I'm not sure what the number is in the left of the header. I tried clicking and dragging on it and it does in fact transfer that number into an e-mail or document. Not sure why though. - Phil

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Phil A said:

Thanks for the additional info on navigation. I did try what you suggested. The navigation via the arrow keys requires that you highlight the last page number and then you can use the arrow keys and Home and End work, too! But it is oh so clunky compared to the former rollover menu where everything was right there. Why not put the icons and everything that was in the rollover menu in the header that drops down on the PDF. That way you have the best of both worlds, i.e the same functionality as before plus the scrollable PDF. Win Win!!

And I'm not sure what the number is in the left of the header. I tried clicking and dragging on it and it does in fact transfer that number into an e-mail or document. Not sure why though. - Phil

They now seem to be using the Google Chrome PDF viewer and I guess the functionality is locked to whatever Google supplies. The number on the left is probably the name of the PDF file in the Google cloud service.

I use Nitro Pro for PDF viewing and manipulation and after you mentioned the Google Chrome PDF Viewer I looked again and see it listed on the drop down. You are absolutely right it's identical. Not sure how copying Google improves our experience in Evernote when the new functionality is so diminished.

Archived