What is the character limit for note titles, notebook titles, and tag titles?

arose10

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, arose10 said:

What is the character limit for note titles? ...notebook titles? ...tag titles?

Why don’t you start typing and find out?  I stopped typing after 200 characters

There is the question of what’s a comfortable length in the display.  You don’t really want lengthy tagnames; only the first n characters are displayed

Okay.  I tried this out in the Mac client, and I'm bumping into limits of approximately 250 characters for note titles, approximately 100 characters for notebook titles, and approximately 100 characters for tag titles.  Is this consistent with other people's experience across Evernote?

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, arose10 said:

Okay.  I tried this out in the Mac client, and I'm bumping into limits of approximately 250 characters for note titles, approximately 100 characters for notebook titles, and approximately 100 characters for tag titles.  Is this consistent with other people's experience across Evernote?

Never bothered to try it out,  because as @DTLow suggested,  all three titles are quite frequently displayed in situations where only the first N characters are visible.  Good indexing practice suggests the meaning of those titles should be clear from that visible portion.  Plus longer titles take more typing to generate an automatic match or to create in the first place.

My current setup shows 30 characters for unindented Notebook and Tag titles (slightly less for indented ones,  obviously...) and about 75 for note titles.  That's for a fullscreen display.  Smaller windows leave me with less space and/ or require scrolling.  I aim for brevity at all times!

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

Never bothered to try it out,  because as @DTLow suggested,  all three titles are quite frequently displayed in situations where only the first N characters are visible.  Good indexing practice suggests the meaning of those titles should be clear from that visible portion.  Plus longer titles take more typing to generate an automatic match or to create in the first place.

My current setup shows 30 characters for unindented Notebook and Tag titles (slightly less for indented ones,  obviously...) and about 75 for note titles.  That's for a fullscreen display.  Smaller windows leave me with less space and/ or require scrolling.  I aim for brevity at all times!

It's sort of ridiculous Evernote doesn't allow for the display of more characters.  For example, I'm looking at the tags interface in the Mac client, and there's no reason more characters can't be displayed on the tags labels here.  If Evernote is going to allow for up to 100 characters (which, in my opinion, is too small a limitation to begin with), then they should at least allow for the display of those characters when at all possible.

I understand how having as much of a title displayed as possible is helpful from a visual standpoint, but if you're more reliant on search than visual scanning, does it really make a difference?  For example, let's say I have two tags, "Fox Enterprises > Conferences > 2017 > November > IACP" and "Fox Enterprises > Conferences > 2017 > November > CCAN".  Visually, these two tags might look the same since it's unlikely that the differentiating characters will be visible.  However, from a search standpoint, differentiating between one and the other should be as simple as searching for "IACP" versus "CCAN", no?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, arose10 said:

For example, let's say I have two tags, "Fox Enterprises > Conferences > 2017 > November > IACP" and "Fox Enterprises > Conferences > 2017 > November > CCAN". 

I gather you have duplicate IACP tags, so you're trying to make them unique
In my view these should all be separate tags, although some could be combined
Fox Enterprises
Conferences 2017
November
IACP

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, arose10 said:

For example, let's say I have two tags, "Fox Enterprises > Conferences > 2017 > November > IACP" and "Fox Enterprises > Conferences > 2017 > November > CCAN".

Wow. This is exactly what tags are *not* useful for. DTLow is correct; these should be broken down into separate pieces, each of which is a separate tag. Yes, some people do create artificial, very long tags to denote some form of hierarchy, or for search purposes (BTW, '>' is not useful for search), but I never quite bought into its general utility. To me, tags are short and simply descriptive, and you apply them in combinations as needed. Well, unless your native language (say German) conventionally allows you to create MonsterDescriptiveWords by tacking several pieces together, in which case, swing for the fences.

28 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Evernote's search indexing removes special characters (except _).  It's an efficiency thing

Got it.  So it sounds like using other special characters doesn't derail searches or anything like that, it just doesn't contribute anything to them?

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, arose10 said:

Got it.  So it sounds like using other special characters doesn't derail searches or anything like that, it just doesn't contribute anything to them?

Don't know if they contribute or not, they are treated as spaces, which can help sometimes.  For example "at&t" searches for all occurrences of "at t",  which means you will find all notes with at&t in them.  FWIW.

Archived