jaswinder-s

Tabbed view should show the name of the note open, rather than the notebook name

Idea

When you enable the tabbed view inside Evernote, it would be more useful for the tabs to display the name of the specific 'note' you're working on, rather than the name of the Notebook. This is especially useful where you're working on multiple notes within the same notebook (that you've split across various tabs). As in the example below, you can see that both tabs display "All Notes" and "Diary" however its the same case if I was working on two different notes in say the same notebook "Diary"

This can get a bit confusing, because if they both display the same name, you have to then click on each of the tabs to find out which one it was that you were working on. 

My recommendation is to essentially display the name of the Note, or you can show the path of the note i.e. Diary > 12102017 just to make this feature that bit more useful (just like how we currently have it when you open a note in a new window). The tabbed view becomes less useful if you have a number of notebooks and notes inside them that you might be working on at the same time and therefore harder to manage. 

I've also attached a screenshot of what the "open in a new window" looks like. 

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 1.13.03 pm.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 2.49.51 pm.png

• Like 2

8 replies to this idea

On 2017-10-12 at 6:53 AM, jaswinder-s said:

When you enable the tabbed view inside Evernote, it would be more useful for the tabs to display the name of the specific 'note' you're working on, rather than the name of the Notebook.

On Macs, the tabs do not hold "the specific note you're working on".  
If you need this, open the note in its own window

If you open a tab, you will see a list of notes.  
The tab title reflects the list criteria; All Notes, Notebook Name, Tag Name

@DTLow describes the current behavior, but this does not fix our issue...  and btw On Macs, the tabs do not hold "the specific note you're working on".   is not true. The tabs do hold the information about which note is opened in that tab, because when I go back to an old tab, it still displays the correct note, and did not reset to the first note of the list for instance.

We want to be able to work on different notes in parallel. Two possible solutions:

1) give us the possibility to "open note in a new tab"  (instead of just "in a new window" like currently)

2) give us the option to make tab names reflect the note currently opened in the list of the tab, instead of the list criteria

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, hjma29 said:

same here. still not fixed?

Still no change.

There's two types of tabs

1. Note Lists      > title shows note list information 
  2. Single Notes  > title shows note title

I find the current behavior so bad as to make tabs unusable. 

What jaswinder-s asked for is exactly what we need.

• Like 1

i second WillyB &  jaswinder-s

"open note in new tab" (via contextmenu or menu->note) should do what it says: open a new tab and show only the note within this tab (without any nonse on the left like "all notes", "notebooks", "shared with me", "tags", "work chat"; via menu->view) — otherwise tabs get completely useless as the tabs title does not reflect the node it currently shows

you can think of this as "open note in new window" (which actually opens a new window and only shows the note within, without any nonsense on the left) and then moving thios window into another as a tab --> a behaviour any and every web browser i know of offers

plz evernote get your sh*t together, thanx

2 hours ago, tomizza said:

you can think of this as "open note in new window" 

Paraphrasing Yoda   Do. Or do not. There is no think.

I second this idea. Please change tabs so they display the note name or at least give us an option to choose.