Reminder icon numbers

motorwayne

Idea

I just migrated from iphone to Android. Evernote is my go to for everything including reminders. Am I doing it wrong? because I can't seem to get the reminders icon to show the number of due reminders like it did on the iphone?

My Twitter, Facebook, message, Whats app application icons all show waiting message so I know numbered icons is available.

Help

iphone evernote.PNG

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Good point!

I'm afraid Android hasn't ever shown reminders in that way.  Maybe the iOS experience was a trial for a future update,  or the Android team just didn't include that option because of [compatbility with Android 2.0-7.0?] reasons.  I never missed it because I never had it,  but you're right - it would be a useful addition (and make me clear up some of the outstanding reminders I still have!). 

I moved this to a feature request thread and voted it up.  Anyone who'd like the same feature can vote at the top left of this page.  (Your idea,  so you don't get a vote :()

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, motorwayne said:

Hey there,

I don't understand? Android does offer badge numbering Facebook, Twitter, Whats App, Messenger etc etc all have this feature.

I'd imagine it's a resource that requires the app to feed a count to the OS so it can show the number.  If Evernote didn't add that count code to their app,  there's no number.

12 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I'd imagine it's a resource that requires the app to feed a count to the OS so it can show the number.  If Evernote didn't add that count code to their app,  there's no number.

Oh, so you're saying it is Evernote that didn't add the count code, that makes sense, I thought you meant Android hasn't shown reminders.

I would have thought it was relatively simple as the language is there already isn't it?, certainly internally the labeling to trigger an event is i.e. "reminderOrder", "reminderTime", and "reminderDoneTime":  and if you just used reminderOrder:* for instance as a query and get Evernote to post that total as a number on the badge..then Whamo! problem solved.

Clear as mud

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, motorwayne said:

I would have thought it was relatively simple

Yep,  but it's one of thousands of 'simple' requests that folks have made,  like colored text,  better bullets,  nested tags,  tabs...  It's not possible to drop everything to add just one bit of code - and there's a bit of planning and testing to go through before updates get released into the wild.

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Yep,  but it's one of thousands of 'simple' requests that folks have made,  like colored text,  better bullets,  nested tags,  tabs...  It's not possible to drop everything to add just one bit of code - and there's a bit of planning and testing to go through before updates get released into the wild.

Yeah, I can see that indeed.

But, with one small flick of the pen and adding a number to the Evernote home screen icon, the immediate gain is Evernote becomes an instant EFFECTIVE task/project reminder manager and tactically places itself as a viable alternative to something like Todoist which is kinda good strategically.

Whatever though I guess, am sure coloured text is make or break compared to this.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, motorwayne said:

a viable alternative to something like Todoist

Adding reminder numbers won't do that.  You need repeating reminders, a calendar view, due dates and a bunch of other details that to-do apps have,  but Evernote doesn't.  They've shown no sign that they WANT to become 'just another' task/project reminder manager... it's a crowded and competitive market in which lots of other players have a long lead.

(And don't offend the rainbow text crowd.  They can be nasty when they're thwarted...  ;))

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, motorwayne said:

adding a number to the Evernote home screen icon, the immediate gain is Evernote becomes an instant EFFECTIVE task/project reminder manager

I'm an IOS user and use Evernote for task/project management
I turned off the reminder badge number display
I have over 30 outstanding tasks, current ongoing and future dated.  The number display serves no purpose for me

Archived