Rebuilt database size

Hi, 

For several years now, whenever I have rebuilt my database from the servers I have noticed rather large file size discrepancies between the larger old (now backup) database and the new database. I haven't really noticed any data loss, but with databases of such size, going back so many years, it would be difficult to tell.

I have raised tickets, asked questions etc before without ever really receiving a clear answer beyond vague talk of 'streamlining'. Now, once again I have rebuilt my database, and the old database stands at 11.5GB, with the new one at 3.1GB. Same laptop, I haven't used on-demand sync. Is it really plausible that these two databases essentially contain the same content? 

Many thanks

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

Because of this inherent issue, 'intelligent' applications have the rebuild option included.

And Evernote already does, but as a hidden (but not secret) support option, so I guess they count as 'intelligent', whatever that was meant to imply.

Anyways, Ctrl+click on the Help menu item, and you'll see additional Help menu items, one of which is 'Optimize database'. The extra Help menu items are generally intended for use when the user is being guided by Evernote support people, but are not generally needed. I may have optimized my database once, years ago; can't say that I've needed it since.

So now you know.

21 hours ago, jefito said:

And Evernote already does, but as a hidden (but not secret) support option, so I guess they count as 'intelligent', whatever that was meant to imply.

Anyways, Ctrl+click on the Help menu item, and you'll see additional Help menu items, one of which is 'Optimize database'. The extra Help menu items are generally intended for use when the user is being guided by Evernote support people, but are not generally needed. I may have optimized my database once, years ago; can't say that I've needed it since.

So now you know.

Tried this function  numberous times but never experienced any benefit. Seems to rebuild the entire database but that was not what I meant.

Never mind, not your fault. Same word (optimise), different meaning.

Archived