How I use Evernote, in three parts

Kvistgaard

This is my first entry in this forum. I have been using Evernote for 7 years now. I haven't read anything on that (book, article, or discussion) so far, but as many people asked me to share how I use Evernote, I decided to do it before I join the community. I have explained my practice in three blog posts:

How I use Evernote, Part 1 – Note Creation

How I use Evernote, Part 2 – Kanban Boards

How I use Evernote, Part 3 – Classification and Wishlist

I'd love to "hear" your reactions, ideas, recommendations.

Ivo

• Level 5*
On 2017-10-09 at 3:01 AM, Kvistgaard said:

You mentioned tag hierarchy, but this feature is only available on the Mac/Win platforms
I make use of it to organize my tags, but I also define a hierarchy by prefixing my tagnames
For example,
- my four major categories are ?Who !What @Where .When and I use the same prefix on all the tag names
- all my vendor tagnames are prefixed with ?Vndr_

I don't want to auto tag with parent tags
It is useful in some searches (a Windows feature) and I use this in scripting (Mac)

Your third classification method was ad-hoc and saved searches
I'd like to emphasize the importance of this, and the use of shortcuts
Using a saved search gives us freedom to structure the criteria in many dimensions; tag, notebook, date, text ...

As you noted, by design, a note can not be assigned to multiple notebooks; unlike tags
imho this indicates that Notebooks and Tags serve different purposes. I use tags for classification

Be aware of the limits for Notebooks (250) and Tags (100,000).  
Bad things happen when you have too many notebooks

• Level 5*
On 2017-10-09 at 3:01 AM, Kvistgaard said:

You mentioned your default notebook is called .Log, and you forward emails appending ! so tasks appear as a reminder

I'm not clear on the significance of the name Log, I use the name @Inbox, and it's strictly for collection, no processing (GTD 101)

When I process my Inbox(s), I also use reminders for tasks but I also the date
I consider the due date important for task management; I focus on current-date tasks (more GTD)

(I don't quite understand how this forum works;  how can I reply to a reply?)

Thank you @DTLow for your comments. Here are my reactions:

I also define a hierarchy by prefixing my tagnames

I haven't thought of that. Seems like very good idea. I see only two small disadvantages:

• some of my tags have multiple parents
  • this would lead to longer tag names, so when many less of them will be displayed in the note panel

Your third classification method was ad-hoc and saved searches
I'd like to emphasize the importance of this, and the use of shortcuts
Using a saved search gives us freedom to structure the criteria in many dimensions; tag, notebook, date, text ...

Yes, I'm still underutilising this. I need to work on that habit. Recently I realised that as I'm using Windows and the saved searches don't appear at the search bar but down on the left panel, it could be that this inconvenience has some influence on that.

On 09/10/2017 at 6:26 PM, DTLow said:

Be aware of the limits for Notebooks (250) and Tags (100,000).  

I wasn't aware of this limitation. Currently, I have about 40 notebooks. I expect them to grow 5 to 10 a year but also there are some which I can delete at some point, after applying specific tags to all notes in them. 

On 09/10/2017 at 6:47 PM, DTLow said:

When I process my Inbox(s), I also use reminders for tasks but I also the date

Can you please elaborate more. I've heard about the practice of using Inbox notebooks. I don't know much and I avoided it as I noticed that if I don't classify when creating, I create another pile of things to take care later on which is usually the first thing that gets killed by time pressure. But again, I'm willing to learn and try out new things and it might be that the benefits I can't imagine are bigger than the drawbacks I can.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Kvistgaard said:

I've heard about the practice of using Inbox notebooks.

My view of the default notebook is similar to the Inbox on a desk.  It’s generic, and not specific to any content classification (as in Log)

>>I don't quite understand how this forum works;  how can I reply to a reply?

These forums don’t allow “reply to reply”.  I find adding a reference quote helps

Archived