What is microphone icon on Apple Watch app supposed to do?

On the Apple Watch app, the "+" icon starts the creation of a note, but the microphone icon takes me to what appears to be an audio-recording screen -- but once on that screen, it does not record audio.  What is that icon for?

6 minutes ago, uesjd said:

On the Apple Watch app, the "+" icon starts the creation of a note, but the microphone icon takes me to what appears to be an audio-recording screen -- but once on that screen, it does not record audio.  What is that icon for?

Perhaps screenshots will make it clearer.  Here's the home screen:

59cf0b91f0427_2017-09-2923_09_32.png.f5433d43cef9651a0e869f2a8b11f1c8.png

If I click the microphone icon, I get this:

59cf0b925e843_2017-09-2923_09_36.png.626b3543a91e8546dbbff5c3d62ca796.png

The timeline scrolls, and the timer in the top right counts up.  If I dictate into the watch, there is no waveform that would indicate that something is being recorded.  When I tap the red button at the bottom, the timeline stops scrolling, and the timer switches to "Save":

59cf0b92bd7b5_2017-09-2923_09_41.png.029b0d7f6647f1c84cce48035541193d.png

If I click "Save," I am taken back to the home screen, but with the message "Recording created on Apple Watch" -- but as far as I can tell, no recording has been created on the Apple Watch at all.

59cf0b93355d1_2017-09-2923_09_45.png.65741f0dd58e86ed51d10ed4d69ba65a.png

I should point out that I can create text notes by dictating into the watch -- but that employs the plus-sign icon, not the microphone icon.  The Search function works also.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I just tested mine, having not used the microphone icon before, and it asked for permission for the microphone and once granted it started recording (obvious waveform and playback capability). Seems to work for me. I think you might want to verify your microphone permissions. If you still have issues I'm happy to see if I can help you troubleshoot.

• Level 5

Hi all,

Thanks for reaching out!

I can confirm what @macneilpi outlined. The microphone button on the watch should enable you to create a quick audio note within Evernote.

The flow should be that you tap the microphone button to record via the watch, then hit the red button to stop, then ‘Save’ to save the note.

• 3 months later...

I can record to a note on my Apple Watch Series 2. However, I am unable to play it back on any of my: Apple Watch, iPhone nor Mac OS 10.11.6 El Capitan, Evernote desktop app version 7.2.3. I can, however, save the .m4a recording to my downloads folder and play it back via iTunes?! Something seems broken in that the recording worked, but I am unable to play it back on any Evernote application on any device? When I go to listen to it from Evernote's web online client, it simply downloads the .m4a file where I listen to it through iTunes again. Thanks for any assistance on why I am unable to listen to the recording from within any of my Evernote applications.

Just tried saving an earlier recording to my downloads folder and no application was able to play that one. It was from only 6 weeks ago. (Feb 27, 2019) It still says it is an .m4a file, but iTunes (or any other application I have) is able to play it. 

• Level 5*

Hi.  M4a files are an audio file format.  Evernote won't natively play any audio or video files - the app relies on whatever default software is installed on the device that you're using to play content.  Hence it works on some devices,  but not on others without the necessary apps being installed first.

• 1 year later...

Archived