Note List often goes blank - EN 7.01

luckman212

Idea

• Level 5

Been having an issue on both of my Macs since upgrading to High Sierra 10.13. It was happening on EN 6.11.1 so I thought updating to 6.12.3 might help (it did not). Neither did updating to 6.13, 6.14 beta or 7.0 or 7.0.1. Here's a screenshot of what happens:

z1.thumb.png.6d1683c5d5dd8f5225fb3067fe25d02a.png

The note list middle section just goes blank / disappears. The content is still "there" -- you can click around in the empty space and the preview area on the right will change accordingly to whatever note you clicked. Fumbling around with resizing columns or closing & reopening the main EN window will get the list to redraw but it's annoying.

Can this be fixed?

29 replies to this idea

On 2/5/2018 at 4:52 PM, Metrodon said:

It still exists in the latest beta - i've reported it in that thread (for what it's worth...)

Hi @Metrodon,

Can you provide the steps to reproduce that are getting your note list into this state as well as DM me your logs? We have a similar issue occurring but it is separate from the issue reported above. I'd like to confirm that this isn't a regression. Thanks!

Just tested the most recent update for Mac (7.1.1) and nothing has changed. See screenshot (there are 7 notes in this saved search). Still the same issue, which I reported for the first time in October (!!). It is so hard to believe that no one at Evernote is capable of fixing this - and so hard to trust this service anymore.

Screenshot 2018-05-28 22.15.24.png

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

There are reports of data loss in this beta so that doesn't really help. 

It's frustrating to be a premium customer and not even have the note list work properly. Instead new "features" are being worked on over fixing existing bugs. This application is slowly going downhill.

As a work around I had to create dummy notes so I wouldn't go to an empty notebook and the next would show an empty list. My guess is that is no notebook is empty, the list will always refresh, but haven't tested it out enough. 

I agree with the rest of the users who have also encountered the issue, it's annoying, inconvenient and being so easy to reproduce I would expect it to be easier to fix in a future release. I'm on Evernot for Mac, v.7.0.3 (456341 Direct), Editor: 1.38.3824 (68bd1c0)

54 minutes ago, Rydazzle said:

This is 100% reproducible, it's crazy to me that someone can't figure out a fix, and I hit this every day. When I hit inbox zero, the next folder I jump to is blank...

Product folks: I know there is a workaround on our side (users) but the fact this has gone on so long is concerning. Please bump the priority.

Agreed. It's incredibly annoying that this issue keeps getting ignored. 

+1 @luckman212

This is 100% reproducible, it's crazy to me that someone can't figure out a fix, and I hit this every day. When I hit inbox zero, the next folder I jump to is blank...

Product folks: I know there is a workaround on our side (users) but the fact this has gone on so long is concerning. Please bump the priority.

Same - blank note list (black) - tried update (6.9.6.6729 [306729] Public [CE Build ce-1.39.4193] on Win10-pro, v1709, build 16299.192, Surface Book) - rebooted - same. My evernote db is on a permanently installed sd card as space on the SSD is limited. I have to say USB3 on the Surface sometime glitches and errors have been reported at times on the sd drive (but none found by chkdsk). It is possible this interferes with Evernotes housekeeping.

Notelist images for some notes displayed normally -  for the others with black images I tried simplifying formatting. This reset notelist image to normal for some notes, flipped images to all white for others. One note had nothing but the date inserted - ie no other content - but displayed first all black in note list, then ok after simplifying formating (which I would have thought could not be simpler to start with).  

CTrl-Help -> "fix selected notes" fixes the notelist black images for those notes, but some notes still display blank-white images for a while - then later fix themselves.  A few blank whites persist among in the notelist. All this is confusing and undermines confidence in Evernote (even if it is Microsoft's fault). Bob

I have been having this exact problem--is there a fix or update yet? It completely destroys my workflow!

Another way of reproducing this issue is to use saved queries:

• Click on a saved query with zero notes
  • Next, click on any list or notebook: while the result counter displays the amount of notes found, the list itself is empty. Actually, it is not empty because when you click on the empty space, you can still select a note!
  • if you then click any list with notes, the list appears
  • if you go back to the previous list, the list appears also

Another way of reproducing this issue is to use saved queries:

• Click on a saved query with zero notes
  • Next, click on any list or notebook: while the result counter displays the amount of notes found, the list itself is empty. Actually, it is not empty because when you click on the empty space, you can still select a note!
  • if you then click any list with notes, the list appears
  • if you go back to the previous list, the list appears also
  • Level 5*

I have ticket #2223326 opened on this (Note List often goes blank)
I'll update this post with any response

Response from support:   We're currently aware of this problem and although I don't have an ETA of when this issue will be resolved, I can assure you we're working diligently to fix it.

Just now, luckman212 said:

@adorno's gray Nice work on finding a reliable way to reproduce this! Now hopefully they will fix it ASAP. Have you tried 6.13 beta? (I'm too scared to try EN betas - the "stable" releases are buggy enough as it is).

No, I too generally avoid beta versions, although a previous beta did relieve the dreaded "crash on exit" problem I was having.

With this issue I am curious if it is an EN or High Sierra issue. Perhaps related, and perhaps of interest to the EN developers, I did have a related issue since upgrading to High Sierra where after viewing a YouTube video in full screen, subsequently exiting from the video to return to Safari also draws a blank window, albeit in Safari. Although that bug is inconsistent, unlike this one in EN that can be readily replicated. Who knows. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have this same issue.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Click "Trash" notebook, which is itself empty. Thus, no notes display.
  2. Then click any other notebook that contains notes.
  3. No list of notes shows (I'm in the "side list view"), yet a note will display in the far right pane.
  4. Afterwards, clicking a different notebook will remedy the problem, and notes will subsequently show in the list.

I have not experienced this issue in previous iterations of EN.

Version 6.12.3 (455520 Direct); macOS High Sierra 10.13 (17A365)

Archived