Ordering items when merging notes

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, BCB said:

I can't seem to select the order of which note is first, when combining notes.  Is there a way to select which one shows up as the top/primary note?  Thanks.

On Macs, the merge order is the order you see the notes in the list; top to bottom

My notes are listed in modification date sequence, so I adjust the order by making a dummy change to notes (add a space)

• Level 5*
53 minutes ago, gazumped said:

For completeness,  the same is true in the (current) Windows client too...  confusingly the notes show onscreen in reverse order - what you see on top of the pile is actually the bottom.

The Windows merge order follows Windows ordering (similar to Windows Explorer):

• If you pick a number of items via Click followed by Shift+Click, then in the merge, they are ordered in the same order as the selection appears in the note list, from top to bottom. Doesn't matter which item you clicked on first, or which item you shift-clicked on second. It's always the ordering in the note list that governs the result in the resulting merged note.
  • If you Ctrl+click to select a number of individual notes, then the result in the merged list matches the order that you clicked: the first note that you clicked on appears first, the second note appears second, and so on. I believe that this is not the same on the Mac, though that may have changed. This is really useful: you can order your merged note exactly as you like.
  • If you want to get somewhat crazy, you can click then shift+click to select a range of notes, then ctrl+click to get more individual notes; the order that they appear in in the merged note is: notes in the range, ordered the same as they appear in the note list, followed by the individual notes, in the order that they were selected. This is consistent with the above.
  • If you want to get really crazy with this, you can select a range of notes, then perform a series of Ctrl+click select/unselect operations on notes from the range, previously unselected notes, or notes selected by Ctrl+Click. Knock yourself out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/10/2017 at 2:06 PM, jefito said:

The Windows merge order follows Windows ordering (similar to Windows Explorer):

• If you pick a number of items via Click followed by Shift+Click, then in the merge, they are ordered in the same order as the selection appears in the note list, from top to bottom. Doesn't matter which item you clicked on first, or which item you shift-clicked on second. It's always the ordering in the note list that governs the result in the resulting merged note.
  • If you Ctrl+click to select a number of individual notes, then the result in the merged list matches the order that you clicked: the first note that you clicked on appears first, the second note appears second, and so on. I believe that this is not the same on the Mac, though that may have changed. This is really useful: you can order your merged note exactly as you like.
  • If you want to get somewhat crazy, you can click then shift+click to select a range of notes, then ctrl+click to get more individual notes; the order that they appear in in the merged note is: notes in the range, ordered the same as they appear in the note list, followed by the individual notes, in the order that they were selected. This is consistent with the above.
  • If you want to get really crazy with this, you can select a range of notes, then perform a series of Ctrl+click select/unselect operations on notes from the range, previously unselected notes, or notes selected by Ctrl+Click. Knock yourself out.

Do evernote plan on changing this any time soon? This is incredibly annoying for organising my University work. 

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, Dewi Madden said:

Do evernote plan on changing this any time soon? This is incredibly annoying for organising my University work. 

No word from Evernote on this (Merge Order).  There  is a Common Editor project which may resolve platform differences

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

No word from Evernote on this (Merge Order).  There  is a Common Editor project which may resolve platform differences

I don't believe that this is a function of the editor; it's a function of choosing items from a list. As best I can tell, on the Windows side, Evernote orders things as received from the OS. I don't know what happens on the Mac side.

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5*

As @jefito said - I find that worst case I retitle my notes 001 <original title>,  002 <ot> etc,  and then sort my notes in title order.  If I then select the notes and merge,  they're in the right order.  And if you set the dividers to include individual notes titles,  you have handy numbered subsection/ bookmarks to the different elements.  I usually take the 001 off the main note header though.

Archived