Importing Instapaper Highlights with URL Links

I have my Evernote and Instapaper accounts linked. So whenever I highlight something in Instapaper the highlight gets automatically imported to Evernote. The one feature I've been missing with this, though, is absence of a URL link to the source were the highlighted text comes from. Is there some way to make sure that the highlight get's imported to Evernote together with the link to the original article?

• Level 5*

Do you get an icon in the note with a PDF symbol or just the question marks.  If just the question marks I don't this think the PDF is making it to the note.  What is the extension on he original file?

ScreenClip.png.4148fc6658d09ca4b0dfad37f6c9b19b.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 10/18/2017 at 10:35 PM, Dereks said:

In case anyone is interested, I found the solution myself. Instead of sending highlights via email through a native option offered by instapaper, I opted to https://ifttt.com, which has the same applet but with the necessary functionality. Works like a charm for me. 

thanks I was guessing this could be a solution. will go for that as the lack of links is annoying

• 2 years later...

I've just started using Instapaper with Evernote - and have noticed this issue.  

I've setup an IFTTT to copy highlight comments to Evernote.  Shame about losing the link though..

Edited by HSS
Update
  • Evernote Expert

This is a five year old thread which is related, inevitably, to the old version of Evernote.

Given that things are different in v10 can you describe in more detail what you are attempting and the issues you face?

@agsteele- good point.  I'll highlight the issue.

This is a screenshot of my phone, running Instapaper, viewing a saved article.

image.thumb.png.7ad767ecf823724d83ea16b998834c66.png

I have now added a highlight and comment on a text block - which contains a URL.

image.png.bcb36557b53085cb99683aed31041b90.png

When the highlighted text block is sent to Evernote, the URL link has been stripped from the text.

image.png.f8500336aad14b4e56e675adf6b4f0f1.png

I've tried 2 methods of syncing highlighted text from Instapaper to Evernote - both do not retain the URL in the text:

1. Built-in Instapaper to Evernote Integration (this is configured on Instapaper)

2. Using IFTTT to copy any new Instapaper highlights to Evernote.

It could well be that this is an Instapaper issue - I've emailed them.

• Level 5

@HSS Personally I doubt external highlights from another app will import at all. All posts in this thread prior to the one you posted yourself are outdated, since the code platform was completely renewed.

To be sure, ask support.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

Yes, I'd suspect an Instapaper challenge. What happens if you send something from Instapaper to Evernote using IFTTT without any highlighting or commenting?

In truth you have a three stage challenge... Instapaper does something, the result is sent through IFTTT which attempts to translate from one API to another and then Evernote receives that result and imports it as a new note.  Lots of scope for something to go wrong.

In fact my guess will be that Instapaper creates the comment for which IFTTT has no matching import value in the Evernote API. Which makes sense. There is no commenting function in Evernote.

Given that these APIs are in the mix I think you'll need to ask the various support teams for help.

Maybe I should have said - sending highlighted text from Instapaper to Evernote works perfectly as it is.  The process just loses any links in the text along the way.

The built-in Instapaper-side integration works pretty well but you have no control how the Evernote note is formatted.

Using IFTTT you have full control of the Evernote note format, title, and tags - see below.  

image.thumb.png.0b339da5151ba1034e4a7a14665eba29.png

• Evernote Expert

Can you get this working for some other service than Evernote? I think I'd want to narrow down where the problem arises. It could still be inside IFTTT as it exports to Evernote rather than in Evernote.  Basically I'd want to know that IFTTT is pushing the correct content out. Perhaps push the content to a service such as a Google Doc or similar if you don't like Google...

I've just tried this using IFTTT to send an email, and I get the same results (links being stripped from the text).  See below image.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Instapaper support

image.png.9814fc9b1e4f4308a40e74a3dc0b45be.png

On 7/22/2022 at 1:17 PM, agsteele said:

Have you tried IFTTT support?

Not yet - I'll see what Instapaper come back with first.  I raised a case with them last week