• 1
Chantal Leonard

Evernote for Mac 6.13 Beta 1 Released

Idea

Hi all - 

Today we're announcing 6.13 Beta 1 - get it here or check for updates in your app. This release has a number of improvements to the app experience. Please try these out and let us know what you think. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac team 

Improved

  • Sharing: consolidated share options under the "Share" button in Evernote. Share a note, choose to create a public link or modify share permissions all from one place. 
  • Navigation and Commanding UI: we've made some adjustments to provide more space for your content using a narrower toolbar, and making some tweaks to the sidebar to improve legibility. We've also improved the Move Note dialog to make it even faster to move a note across accounts by listing all notebooks from both your business and personal accounts directly in the dialog. 

Fixed
We fixed many issues in this release, here are some of the notable issues addressed. 

  • Fixed an issue where notebooks are sometimes duplicated on upgrade
  • Fixed several crashes including intermittent issues around moving notes, app launch, and on PDF annotation
  • Fixed an issue where the Evernote app window sometimes appears black when in full screen mode

--------------

Screenshots

Simplified user interface with a more minimal toolbar 

image.thumb.png.14fb459dad0fd8298c4dc4f3263b4a4d.png 

Improved sharing 

image.thumb.png.6e44be5c0f6f0e33a20b1cc07b5b3937.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

32 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 1

Here are some of the bugs I have on my list:

Under certain circumstances attachments edited outside Evernote will disappear

Confirmed this still exists in this beta. Detailed here:

 

Highlighting text in a table cell with a background color causes breaks in background color

Detailed here:

 

Tables get an extra space above them when you leave and come back

To reproduce:
1. Write text in a note
2. Hit enter once
3. Insert table
4. Delete extra space between table and above text
5. Leave and come back
6. Extra space returns.

Screenshot:

59d03c604d3b2_ScreenShot2017-09-30at6_52_07PM.png.bffaa1a83fe41e48c1decc987002a33b.png

 

Trying to bold/italic all text in a table cell that has varying bold/italics doesn’t work correctly

To reproduce:

1. Create a table with at least 2 cells
2. Write text in cells
3. Bold and/or italicize text, but be sure formatting isn’t all the same across cells
4. Highlight all table cells.
5. Try to bold and/or italicize. Formatting of text will alternate as if it were individually highlighted

On the surface this seems to make sense, but it doesn’t match the old behaviour or the behaviour of any other app with tables. Highlighting all table cells and then hitting “Italic” should bring all highlighted text to the same state of italics.

Screenshot:

59d03cc1d259f_ScreenShot2017-09-30at6_54_13PM.png.2e056aff113892c0d5cccfdb7957cb41.png

 

Fn+Delete won't bring a line of unbulleted text to a bullet
To reproduce:
1. Create a bulleted list
2. Hit enter twice to get a new line without a bullet
3. Type some text
4. Return to the end of the last bulleted item, hit enter to get new bullet
5. Use Fn+Delete to bring line below up to the current bulleted line
6. Unpredictable, but never correct, results

 

Pasting without formatting still keeps links
To reproduce:
1. Copy some text from the browser that has links in it
2. Paste into Evernote note with Shift+Option+Cmd+v
3. Unformatted text, but links remain

This use to paste just text, without links, which I’d consider correct behaviour. In Apple notes Cmd+v will paste with formatting and links, Shift+Option+Cmd+v will paste without formatting and links.

 

When I copy from a PDF then paste without formatting, I get the PDF page number when I hover over the text
This again comes from my expectation that pasting without formatting (Shift+Option+Cmd+v) means I should only be getting text in my note.
To reproduce:
1. Copy text from a PDF (From Preview, may or may not work with other PDF viewers)
2. Paste into Evernote note with “Shift+Option+Cmd+v”
3. Hover over pasted text, see page number

 

And finally, memory use

I don't really know how to report this, but I've found it to be a little crazy lately. Starting Evernote first thing in the morning, then going about my business studying, Evernote will easily hit 1GB of memory used. Give it two days and entering text gets laggy. I haven't heard others mentioning this however, so, maybe it's unique to me. I not-very-seriously posted about this before:

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1
5 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

We are, after you leave the note, a process runs to clean up the HTML behind scenes, currently this process adds the extra line :-( 

I created a new bug to track this and remove the behavior 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

When in Snippet view the Sharing and Notebook information is in a larger font than the note title and content snippet. It's a bit jarring and pretty ugly.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
5 hours ago, Metrodon said:

When in Snippet view the Sharing and Notebook information is in a larger font than the note title and content snippet. It's a bit jarring and pretty ugly.

Our designers are aware of this and working to fix it. Thanks for pointing it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

great change. Looks good.

in the new sidebar it is a bit hard to distinguish the "shortcuts" and "recent notes" at a glance -- the headers do not pop out much, and everything kinda blends together.

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 16.02.25.png

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I've only just updated to this latest Beta version and the changes look good so far! I do have a couple suggestions for consideration, tho...one I've actually been meaning to suggest for a while, but it jumped out at me even more with the other changes in this Beta.

1.  Since there is still plenty of space available in the sidebar, do the icons have to be as small as they are...? Could they be a bit bigger...? Such as in the following mockups.

59cdb9095ae8e_ENSidebar-LargerIcons.png.461b0b548794ddd7ae7511398751509f.png

2.  This is something I've been meaning to suggest for a while. In the Snippet view (which is the view I always use with the column set fairly narrow), if the image height was a bit less, more of the title could be displayed. I think it would be helpful if the first row was always reserved for the note title, which would provide more information, as well as consistency when scanning the column looking for a particular note (whether the note contains an image or not).

59cdaea0dfeb2_VeryLittleTitleRoomNow.png.7d8be5eeb9ea28952c18d6a901794b8d.png     59cdbd00d1741_ReservedRowforNotesTitle.png.1bdeaf7d24e81210c0b3a14712977325.png

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

One negative is that it is harder to get to "email a copy"

Use to be able to do that right from "Note" on the menu bar.

Now it is a two-step process...Unless I am missing something???

Web interface has a drop-down menu on upper right-hand corner of "Share" button main note page...any way to incorporate that in Mac Version??  Would be helpfull...:)

screenshot.png

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Also:

INSTALLS BUT DOES NOT RUN ON 10.10.5

No mention of this at all in the release notes or here.

So, it breaks your installation.

Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 9.32.33 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 2017-09-27 at 7:22 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

 

  • Navigation and Commanding UI: we've made some adjustments to provide more space for your content using a narrower toolbar, and making some tweaks to the sidebar to improve legibility. We've also improved the Move Note dialog to make it even faster to move a note across accounts by listing all notebooks from both your business and personal accounts directly in the dialog. 

 

Screenshots

Simplified user interface with a more minimal toolbar 

image.thumb.png.14fb459dad0fd8298c4dc4f3263b4a4d.png 

Thank you for this update, Chantal. I like to think the consolidated toolbar was my idea, as I recently suggested it in another thread. Now patiently awaiting for the GA release.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
29 minutes ago, Old Timekeeper said:

Same headache here!

Is there agreement somewhere on what "Simplify Formatting" should do? Why wouldn't it remove highlighting and code blocks? Is that not formatting?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
14 hours ago, upnix said:

Is there agreement somewhere on what "Simplify Formatting" should do? Why wouldn't it remove highlighting and code blocks? Is that not formatting?

The function is called "SIMPLIFY formatting" -- not "REMOVE formatting". Critical difference there. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Looks good! The sidebar is nice and readable.

The back and forward buttons should use the joined set, as in Safari — otherwise it looks kinda weird.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 9/30/2017 at 8:00 PM, upnix said:

Here are some of the bugs I have on my list:

Under certain circumstances attachments edited outside Evernote will disappear

Confirmed this still exists in this beta. Detailed here:

 

Highlighting text in a table cell with a background color causes breaks in background color

Detailed here:

 

Tables get an extra space above them when you leave and come back

To reproduce:
1. Write text in a note
2. Hit enter once
3. Insert table
4. Delete extra space between table and above text
5. Leave and come back
6. Extra space returns.

Screenshot:

59d03c604d3b2_ScreenShot2017-09-30at6_52_07PM.png.bffaa1a83fe41e48c1decc987002a33b.png

 

Trying to bold/italic all text in a table cell that has varying bold/italics doesn’t work correctly

To reproduce:

1. Create a table with at least 2 cells
2. Write text in cells
3. Bold and/or italicize text, but be sure formatting isn’t all the same across cells
4. Highlight all table cells.
5. Try to bold and/or italicize. Formatting of text will alternate as if it were individually highlighted

On the surface this seems to make sense, but it doesn’t match the old behaviour or the behaviour of any other app with tables. Highlighting all table cells and then hitting “Italic” should bring all highlighted text to the same state of italics.

Screenshot:

59d03cc1d259f_ScreenShot2017-09-30at6_54_13PM.png.2e056aff113892c0d5cccfdb7957cb41.png

 

Fn+Delete won't bring a line of unbulleted text to a bullet
To reproduce:
1. Create a bulleted list
2. Hit enter twice to get a new line without a bullet
3. Type some text
4. Return to the end of the last bulleted item, hit enter to get new bullet
5. Use Fn+Delete to bring line below up to the current bulleted line
6. Unpredictable, but never correct, results

 

Pasting without formatting still keeps links
To reproduce:
1. Copy some text from the browser that has links in it
2. Paste into Evernote note with Shift+Option+Cmd+v
3. Unformatted text, but links remain

This use to paste just text, without links, which I’d consider correct behaviour. In Apple notes Cmd+v will paste with formatting and links, Shift+Option+Cmd+v will paste without formatting and links.

 

When I copy from a PDF then paste without formatting, I get the PDF page number when I hover over the text
This again comes from my expectation that pasting without formatting (Shift+Option+Cmd+v) means I should only be getting text in my note.
To reproduce:
1. Copy text from a PDF (From Preview, may or may not work with other PDF viewers)
2. Paste into Evernote note with “Shift+Option+Cmd+v”
3. Hover over pasted text, see page number

 

And finally, memory use

I don't really know how to report this, but I've found it to be a little crazy lately. Starting Evernote first thing in the morning, then going about my business studying, Evernote will easily hit 1GB of memory used. Give it two days and entering text gets laggy. I haven't heard others mentioning this however, so, maybe it's unique to me. I not-very-seriously posted about this before:

 

Highlighting text in a table cell with a background color causes breaks in background color - known issue fix is pending

Tables get an extra space above them when you leave and come back - by design

Trying to bold/italic all text in a table cell that has varying bold/italics doesn’t work correctly- known issue fix is pending 

Pasting without formatting still keeps links - by design

Fn+Delete won't bring a line of unbulleted text to a bullet -  looks to be fixed in a later editor update  - not sure of release target (date) 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
4 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

Tables get an extra space above them when you leave and come back - by design

Hi @Jason Miller, thanks for the reply.

I just want to be sure we're talking about the same thing with table spacing:

D581DD1B-E756-4330-AD31-D7B416BBA319.png.9ba8068a29bc2a43c8e33f94c20c0110.png

 

If this is by design, then, fair enough I guess. Just want to be sure.

Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

Tables get an extra space above them when you leave and come back - by design

It does this on the Windows client as well (so it's done on the server,  maybe?? or in the common editor?, and it's bloody annoying. If it's by design, then what's the rationale behind the design? If deleting blank lines is so terrible that you (Evernote) need to undo what the user has performed (seemingly successfully), why let them do it at all?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
4 hours ago, upnix said:

Hi @Jason Miller, thanks for the reply.

I just want to be sure we're talking about the same thing with table spacing:

D581DD1B-E756-4330-AD31-D7B416BBA319.png.9ba8068a29bc2a43c8e33f94c20c0110.png

 

If this is by design, then, fair enough I guess. Just want to be sure.

Thanks again!

We are, after you leave the note, a process runs to clean up the HTML behind scenes, currently this process adds the extra line :-( 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
10 minutes ago, jefito said:

It does this on the Windows client as well (so it's done on the server,  maybe?? or in the common editor?, and it's bloody annoying. If it's by design, then what's the rationale behind the design? If deleting blank lines is so terrible that you (Evernote) need to undo what the user has performed (seemingly successfully), why let them do it at all?

Common Editor, the server won't mess with stuff this way (fortunately) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
14 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

Common Editor, the server won't mess with stuff this way (fortunately) 

OK, that's a good thing to know. 

9 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

I created a new bug to track this and remove the behavior 

Appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 10/1/2017 at 3:00 AM, upnix said:

Here are some of the bugs I have on my list:

Under certain circumstances attachments edited outside Evernote will disappear

Confirmed this still exists in this beta. Detailed here:

 

Highlighting text in a table cell with a background color causes breaks in background color

Detailed here:

 

Tables get an extra space above them when you leave and come back

To reproduce:
1. Write text in a note
2. Hit enter once
3. Insert table
4. Delete extra space between table and above text
5. Leave and come back
6. Extra space returns.

Screenshot:

59d03c604d3b2_ScreenShot2017-09-30at6_52_07PM.png.bffaa1a83fe41e48c1decc987002a33b.png

 

Trying to bold/italic all text in a table cell that has varying bold/italics doesn’t work correctly

To reproduce:

1. Create a table with at least 2 cells
2. Write text in cells
3. Bold and/or italicize text, but be sure formatting isn’t all the same across cells
4. Highlight all table cells.
5. Try to bold and/or italicize. Formatting of text will alternate as if it were individually highlighted

On the surface this seems to make sense, but it doesn’t match the old behaviour or the behaviour of any other app with tables. Highlighting all table cells and then hitting “Italic” should bring all highlighted text to the same state of italics.

Screenshot:

59d03cc1d259f_ScreenShot2017-09-30at6_54_13PM.png.2e056aff113892c0d5cccfdb7957cb41.png

 

Fn+Delete won't bring a line of unbulleted text to a bullet
To reproduce:
1. Create a bulleted list
2. Hit enter twice to get a new line without a bullet
3. Type some text
4. Return to the end of the last bulleted item, hit enter to get new bullet
5. Use Fn+Delete to bring line below up to the current bulleted line
6. Unpredictable, but never correct, results

 

Pasting without formatting still keeps links
To reproduce:
1. Copy some text from the browser that has links in it
2. Paste into Evernote note with Shift+Option+Cmd+v
3. Unformatted text, but links remain

This use to paste just text, without links, which I’d consider correct behaviour. In Apple notes Cmd+v will paste with formatting and links, Shift+Option+Cmd+v will paste without formatting and links.

 

When I copy from a PDF then paste without formatting, I get the PDF page number when I hover over the text
This again comes from my expectation that pasting without formatting (Shift+Option+Cmd+v) means I should only be getting text in my note.
To reproduce:
1. Copy text from a PDF (From Preview, may or may not work with other PDF viewers)
2. Paste into Evernote note with “Shift+Option+Cmd+v”
3. Hover over pasted text, see page number

 

And finally, memory use

I don't really know how to report this, but I've found it to be a little crazy lately. Starting Evernote first thing in the morning, then going about my business studying, Evernote will easily hit 1GB of memory used. Give it two days and entering text gets laggy. I haven't heard others mentioning this however, so, maybe it's unique to me. I not-very-seriously posted about this before:

 

Second that - I have these memory issues since upgrading to 6.12, it has been there in every single release. A little better (= less memory, slower increase) in 6.12.3. I've made it a habit to restart the MacBook every couple of days - just like a PC 15 years ago ...

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now