String substitution (as in MS Word)

arfmach

Idea

It would be great if Evernote had automatic substitutions as in MS Word. Every time I want to type the characters “ or ” (Left Double Quotation Mark, U+201C; Right Double Quotation Mark, U+201D), I need to type Alt+0147 or Alt+0148 in the numeric keypad. If the keyboard doesn't have a numeric keypad, then I need to use Character Map tool.

There could be a list of “From-To” pairs of substitution for us to set up, with some default items (just as in MS Word).

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, arfmach said:

It would be great if Evernote had automatic substitutions as in MS Word.

Not sure of the MS Word features, but this keyboard substitution seems covered by the OS,
or third party prouducts like TextExpander59cacbd2aabfe_ScreenShot2017-09-26at14_47_55.png.25e7fea23c43f44399d7df8f6c883b6a.png

This is an example from my my Mac/iPad
There is the option to add any user defined strings

5 hours ago, DTLow said:

Not sure of the MS Word features, but this keyboard substitution seems covered by the OS,
or third party prouducts like TextExpander59cacbd2aabfe_ScreenShot2017-09-26at14_47_55.png.25e7fea23c43f44399d7df8f6c883b6a.png

This is an example from my my Mac/iPad
There is the option to add any user defined strings

I didn't look for any third-party products, but there's no native tool like that in Windows (which is the OS I use). Oh, I also use Android, but I doubt there are any tool (apart from an advanced keyboard) which could make such substitutions. But my suggestion was for Windows itself... I'll search for some third-party apps... Although I still agree that Evernote could have that feature natively.

9 hours ago, csihilling said:

PhraseExpress

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's a little like using a cannon to kill a mosquito, just for a few simple text substitutions. Besides that, it's not free for use in a domain-controlled environment.

Looking at the alternatives, I decided for now to stick with numeric keypad typing and/or charmap.

And based on the answers, I guess this feature won't have much attention from EN developing team...

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, arfmach said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's a little like using a cannon to kill a mosquito

For sure, though it does help with repetitive tasks in any app, if needed.  In any case, the mosquito won't be getting up....  ;)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, arfmach said:

And based on the answers, I guess this feature won't have much attention from EN developing team...

None of us users know what their priorities are. My usual take is that if you don't like how Evernote is operating now, and you have a feasible workaround available, then use the workaround.. Windows also has the 3rd-party AutoHotKey application, which is free.

Archived