You have logged out of Evernote - logging back in - back to the same note?

dantek

Idea

Hi,

"You have been logged out of Evernote"....sigh.

Ok - I get the security reason for logging you out every so often - although 30 days seems a little quick to me - but I can deal with that - I'll log back in ok fair enough...my password's saved in Chrome anyway.

BUT - what really infuriates me is that once you've logged back in - do you go back to the note you were editing before? No...you go back to a default view of all of your notes. Why?

I use Chrome and generally have lots of tabs open - with lots of different Evernote notes open when I'm working on multiple things. It's my 'in progress' stuff - I keep all the tabs open on the things I'm working on. I tell Chrome to re-open with all the tabs that I had open when I closed it - so I close Chrome when I shut my laptop down, and re-open Chrome when I turn it back on again - and there's all my work and notes again as they were. Fine.... except when Evernote decides I need to log in again - and then I just have 10 'you have logged out of evernote' tabs. I log into each one - and they all just go back to the list of notes. Great.

Can Evernote be updated to maintain the current note when you've logged out and logged back in again please? The URL must have the note name/ID in it - as  you can re-open a tab in a browser and it normally ends up back to the same note - so why does the 'logout / login' process not keep that part of the URL and put you back where you were?

Anyone else find this infuriating?

I'm using Chrome (Version 61.0.3163.79 (Official Build) (32-bit)) on Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 on a Lenovo laptop - and mainly access Evernote through web - but also on the iPhone app.

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  A browser doesn't really offer much scope for a cloud app to save current use information like what note you're looking at.  The installed desktop can do that,  because it has access to a lot of processing power and storage space;  but a browser,  for 'security reasons' won't allow an app that much freedom,  because what it saves might not be in the best interests of the device user.  I'd guess not keeping your last use details is also for security - it means someone else can't log in using the same machine and use your last session information to see exactly what you were doing.  You could use a feedback page to see if other users think this is a good idea,  and maybe if they do,  Evernote will consider it if/ when they review the web client.  It's long overdue for some TLC! 

I'll try moving this post to a feedback forum - if you don't want that,  let us know and someone will move it back to the web help area.

Hi - thanks for the reply.

Not sure I agree though. The URL for each tab - with a different note open in each - is notably different for each. For example - they all start with https://www.evernote.com/Home.action#n= - but then have a different number/letter string after that - so I'd guess that is a note reference. Either that or it's in some sort of cookie. As I said - if I close Chrome with several Evernote tabs open - with my session saved - and then re-open it - they all come back up with the same notes as before. Or if I select a tab I've closed from Chrome's history - that comes back up again ok too. It's only when it's asking me to log in again that it doesn't go back to the same note as I was on before.

If that's some sort of accidental Chrome feature that's letting that work normally - then I think that's advantageous feature - to be able to have multiple tabs open - or be able to go back to a previous note from your history - or even bookmark specific notes in your browser.

Yep - don't mind where you move this to - wherever i the most appropriate for Evernote to see it - or other people to comment on too.

And yes - it is in need of some TLC. Am surprised that the web-client is so poor at some things and seems largely ignored by Evernote. It's my main method of access for Evernote - along with the iOS app - and sure lots of other people's too!

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, dantek said:

if I close Chrome with several Evernote tabs open - with my session saved - and then re-open it - they all come back up with the same notes as before

That's like Chrome remembering you were looking at CNN or IMDB.  Your notes all have their own individual web address,  so if Chrome loads that back up to reopen the page,  you'll go back to the same place.  (You could save your own shortcuts to work in progress with browser bookmarks).

Don't know whether that's a choice a page is allowed to impose on the browser though - that's a great way for someone to force unwanted advertising onto your screen...

On 25/09/2017 at 10:58 PM, gazumped said:

That's like Chrome remembering you were looking at CNN or IMDB.  Your notes all have their own individual web address,  so if Chrome loads that back up to reopen the page,  you'll go back to the same place. 

Yes - that's my point. That normally works - ie. if you close Chrome and re-open it - all of the tabs re-appear as they were before - so each note must have it's own URL/identifier. It's only when Evernote logs you out that it fails to go back to the right note after you log in again.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, dantek said:

each note must have it's own URL/identifier. It's only when Evernote logs you out that it fails to go back to the right note after you log in again.

Each individual note does have it's own ID - but when you log out of Evernote you're signing out of the whole app,  not just closing a public page which is 'always' on view at that address. 

I get that it could be possible to reopen at the same note,  but I've no idea how difficult it would be to keep that note flagged until your next session.  If someone at Evernote thinks it's a good idea,  and easy to do,  maybe we'll see it one of these days.

Archived