Evernote for Mac 6.12.3 GA

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi Folks - 

6.12.3 is a dot release which contains fixes to get sync reliability back to normal levels as well as some fixes for intermittent crashes on upgrade and annotation. You can download it here, or by checking for updates from the App Store.   

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac Team 

Version 6.12.3 

Fixed: Fixed crash and sync issues some users are encountering.

Version 6.12.2 

Fixed: A fix where text when copied from Evernote and pasted into another app sometimes has additional punctuation and other characters added to it.

Version 6.12.1

Fixed: A fix for a crash some users are encountering on quitting the app.

Version 6.12

Major improvements to tables!

Some highlights of what you can do with tables now:

• Add more rows and columns with a single click: Point to where you want a new column and click the plus button that appears.
  • Select the contents of a cell by clicking and dragging.
  • Choose the entire column or row just by clicking the header.
  • Drag and drop entire rows & columns.
  • Copy and paste multiple cells: Select the cells you want to move, copy them, move cursor to a new spot and paste all the cells with one click.
  • Adjust the width of one column without affecting the width of the column next to it.
  • Scroll horizontally to view a table with many columns without expanding your window.
  • Hover within a cell to activate advanced table options.
    • You can distribute columns evenly
    • Match the table width to the width of your window
    • Change the alignment of items within cells
    • Add and change background colors

Multi-tasking improvements

• Keep your Evernote content organized using tabs. Create a new tab by selecting the 'New Tab' option under the File menu.
  • Pick up from where you left off - if you exit the app and re-open it, you'll return to your previously opened windows / state.

Separation of Business and Personal

• No longer intermingle your business and personal content in your Evernote experience but still multi-task when you need to. Improving on 6.11 Beta 1 & 2, we've added support for having business and personal notes open side-by-side.

Bug fixes

We’ve fixed several bugs that users reported including:

• Evernote does not update business tags list after the sync
  • Pasting a large amount of text into a note fails with no error message
  • An intermittent crash on account switching

44 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Why is it also that every time EN releases a new version, the "Simplify Formatting" function seems to wildly change its behavior??

Now it seems to destroy "code block" styled text... Don't like that.

Also, it's making links EVERYWHERE....... in plaintext, in code blocks, in old notes that never had links before... really annoying. Paste some plaintext in .. LINKS... see a ".com" somewhere, anywhere... LINK THAT PUPPY .. No thank you. Please can we get a preference "Do not EVER make hyperlinks unless I expressly say so??"

→ also, my original reason for updating to 6.12 was to try to fix the disappearing note list bug, which it unfortunately did not.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, DTLow said:

Table changes apply to existing tables

Thanks for the feedback, but I could use more details, even a screen shot would be great.

I have a number of Notes with complex tables created in Word and pasted into Evernote.  Ver 6.11 pretty much destroyed these tables, but Ver 6.11.1 retain their format.

Can I expect tables pasted from Word to be modified in a significant, adverse way?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, JMichaelTX said:

Thanks for the feedback, but I could use more details, even a screen shot would be great.

I have a number of Notes with complex tables created in Word and pasted into Evernote.  Ver 6.11 pretty much destroyed these tables, but Ver 6.11.1 retain their format.

Can I expect tables pasted from Word to be modified in a significant, adverse way?

If you provide enex samples of your tables, I’ll produce screenshots of how they look in v6.12

I'm getting the continuous syncing problem after updating to 6.12.3. Interestingly I didn't having this problem on the last version. This makes the typing experience very unpleasant. Once I start typing the sync icon starts spinning and I get a half second typing delay every 2 seconds that can result in words being chopped in half. 

Is anyone else experiencing this? 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Here's a good example that has a table within a cell:
Test Word Table.enex

Minor changes on import                                       Original       ===>  v6.12 (I added xxxx)
and the paste from Word still works 

59ceb26fb1861_ScreenShot2017-09-29at13_46_05.png.e2d61ee6250e13abbf604dd16dff3aa5.png      59ceaf475b212_2017-09-29_15-38-22(1).png.6dd8da06458032cc0910ca0361aa95c9.png.e3496d3b0ba13ed74507eb8213d972ab.png

Table options gives an Upgrade Table option which really messed with formatting 59ceb3bee7014_ScreenShot2017-09-29at13_54_11.png.a30c333ddd283c8f61db9495d37b6028.png
59ceb403120e7_ScreenShot2017-09-29at13_47_11.png.6dec919a6206e8708d9c399c24aa5a1e.png

Upgrade from 6.11.x to 6.12.2 converted all old tables to the new format. It also changed the width of all columns.  Now the old tables are unreadable and need manual reformatting.

Also, the new format in tables imposes a fixed table width, so tables won't change size on Evernote window resizing. Horizontal scroll is now mandatory.

Any way to revert changes done to the tables?

• Level 5

I was having odd graphical glitches w. 6.11 under High Sierra and because this thread was rather quiet I decided to bite the bullet and update. Now, I'm having a problem where EN simply refuses to save my preferences.  I set up my prefs, keyboard shortcuts, fonts, turn off context, etc etc.  Get it all just the way I like it and EN promptly and randomly just forgets all of that and reverts back to the defaults.

No warning, error etc is shown anywhere.

I imagine something's corrupt somewhere but I've no idea where to look for that. Is there a "clean install" option I can invoke??

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, luckman212 said:

Now, I'm having a problem where EN simply refuses to save my preferences.  I set up my prefs, keyboard shortcuts, fonts, turn off context, etc etc.  Get it all just the way I like it and EN promptly and randomly just forgets all of that and reverts back to the defaults.

No warning, error etc is shown anywhere.

I imagine something's corrupt somewhere but I've no idea where to look for that.

I haven't seen any reports of a problem with saving preferences
One simple fix to try is rebooting your Mac

>>Is there a "clean install" option I can invoke??

I use a clean install to solve some issues
You can completely remove Evernote from your Mac; The app AppCleaner is recommended for this
Reinstall the Evernote app and the database will be rebuilt from the servers.  Warning, the rebuild does not include unsync'd notes or Local Notebooks

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Minor changes on import                                  
and the paste from Word still works 

@DTLow, thank you so much!  That takes a big load off me for considering to upgrade.  I really needed my existing tables to remain intact.  And for paste from Word to work.  So both look great!  My thanks also to @Evernote: (  @Chantal Leonard, @Johnathan Hebert, @Jason Miller ) 

So, I owe you a big one!  Thanks for risking your Evernote and your workflow to test the new Evernote releases. 

Looks like the big remaining issue for 6.12+ is the sync issue.  As soon as they publish a release that fixes that, and it is confirmed by users, then I'll probably update.
I'm already in a good mood for upgrades.  Just upgraded my iPhone 6+ to iPhone 8+, and switched wireless carriers from Verizon to T-Mobile.  T-Mobile gave me a great deal on both  phone and service, and their cellular download speed at my house is 3X that of Verizon.  I'm now getting 21.7 Mb/s !!!

I'd like to note that I have issues with all that is mentioned here. 

At times Evernote will try to sync every two or three key strokes. I am not a particularly fast typer but I am forced to wait for it to catch up with my key strokes. This wasn't an issue previously. And it isn't an issue with any other service or app I am using.

I prefer the older simple tables. For example, my attempts to create a single table for emphasis now result in text being cut off and having to scroll sideways. Clumsy and a waste of time.

And I, too, prefer the previous format for notebooks. Why not offer the option of both? 

On 9/22/2017 at 8:51 AM, luckman212 said:

Learned my lesson the hard way on new EN releases. We are in a new era. I'll wait at least a month before switching from 6.11.1 (455059).

Installed 6.12.3 two days ago on MacBook Mid 2010 6gb ram 500ssd. Syncing has been going on continually for nearly two days, even when set to manual. Syncing on Windows and iOS never took that long. Decided to revert back per luckman212 to 6.11.1 a few minutes ago. Will leave it running overnight and see what the morning brings.

On 9/22/2017 at 9:51 AM, luckman212 said:

Learned my lesson the hard way on new EN releases. We are in a new era. I'll wait at least a month before switching from 6.11.1 (455059).

A month may not be enough.  It's now October 13 and ver 6.12.3 is syncing incessantly - it simply never stops syncing as long as the app is running (Mac OS 10.12.6).

I should have waited to update.  I use tables so extensively that I was excited to see all the updates. Unfortunately, it's been a nightmare.  All my old tables lost their formatting.  I have to reformat them, note by note (and I have multiple tables in every note, including templates, which I re-did first).  I can only change one table at a time and then I cannot select the next table to fix it without leaving the note and coming back.  It's been so time-consuming.  However, I persevere knowing I should win the war eventually and that I won't worry about fixing all of them unless I need to.

BUT!!!!  Today, I checked a public link note and was horrified to see how BAD it looks!  I sell promo products and I set up a table on umbrellas for a client.  Before the update, the tables were fine.  Now?  They have to scroll across AT THE BOTTOM of the note and you can't see much width.  Look at this!  https://www.evernote.com/shard/s64/sh/2316eb56-a348-4acf-9b77-5245e2c3268c/52680e50b738cafd

Are you kidding me?  I only wish I had checked sooner.  I didn't realize how unprofessional my public notes looked.  Now I have to re-do those before anyone else looks at them.  Why is the public note so narrow?  Not even one column wide on my table??

Running 6.12.3 on a newer MacBook Pro.
Sandee Rodriguez, Evernote ECC

7 minutes ago, Sandeelynne3 said:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s64/sh/2316eb56-a348-4acf-9b77-5245e2c3268c/52680e50b738cafd

I didn't realize how unprofessional my public notes looked.  Now I have to re-do those before anyone else looks at them.  Why is the public note so narrow?  Not even one column wide on my table??

Running 6.12.3 on a newer MacBook Pro.
Sandee Rodriguez, Evernote ECC

So I reformatted the note so it shows better now in the public link.  However, the pictures have all vanished.  That's the first time that happened.  I'm going to try to put them back now.

• Level 5*
On 9/22/2017 at 8:56 AM, DTLow said:

Wait on upgrades; also read the reviews and know what you're stepping into

That's my SOP.  I'm still running Ver 6.11.1, which works great.  No, it does not have the new table features, but I can wait until Evernote removes all of the material bugs, and I don't see any adverse reports in this forum.  If anyone wants to downgrade to Ver 6.11.1, I have it available on my DropBox site:

EN Mac 6.11.1 Installer
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9jcqlomdoczlv8r/Evernote_RELEASE_6.11.1_455059.dmg?

If you want to downgrade, then it is probably best to do a clean reinstall of the lower version.
See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

• Level 5*

ATTN: @Evernote: (  @Chantal Leonard, @Johnathan Hebert, @Jason Miller ) 

Is Evernote ever going to provide EN Mac with the same feature as EN Win to include child tags in a search of the parent tag?
EN Win received this feature more than one year ago, in Apr 2016.

See New Evernote for Windows, v6.0 (6.0.6) GA 

From the EN Win 6.0 Release Notes:

What's Improved:

• App stability and performance during launch and sync. Many ‘Not responding’ state are addressed.
  • Search speed significantly improved. Note that this will require a one-time upgrade of your database when updating to v6.
  • New settings options to default focus to note title when creating a new note, and to include all nested tags when selecting the parent tag.
On 9/26/2017 at 10:52 AM, melissac said:

How do I revert to the previous version? This new layout where all my notebooks are in a single list is atrocious and is making me waste so much time it is ridiculous. 

SAME. The list view is the absolute worst. Will have to revert to the old version or change programs - it's TERRIBLE. 

I just updated to 6.12.3 from 6.10 on os x 10.13 yesterday and Evernote is basically borked now.

It runs, but it is so incredibly slow that it is borderline unusable. Loading notes when selecting one from the side used to happen instantly. Now I get the stupid loading graphic and it takes up to 5 seconds to load a note.

I deleted an empty note and it remained visible in the list until I restarted the app.

Several times I have started the app and had to force quit because it will not get past the loading spinner.

Just seems like Evernote keeps getting worse with age, and combined with the problems I've had since day one (and people have been posting in forums about bugs since 2009 which have yet to be fixed) — it makes me wonder how much longer this app will be around.

Dear Evernote developers,

When will the constant syncing be fixed ?  I have not heard anything for weeks. As you know the user specified sync interval (e.g. every 15 mins) is broken and now it behaves like Onenote, i.e. syncs after every single edit. Very inefficient on network bandwidth, especially for very large notes.  If sync must be so aggressive, can you at least tone it down a bit to something like every 5  minutes ? I would have thought that this bug was a top priority over cosmetic UI changes and beta work.  Don't you rank your bugs and assign them a severity / customer impact  ?

• Level 5*
On 2017-09-22 at 6:51 AM, luckman212 said:

I'll wait at least a month before switching from 6.11.1 (455059).

Good lesson.  Wait on upgrades; also read the reviews and know what you're stepping into

Another lesson;   If the  version doesn’t work for you, revert to a previous version
You're not stuck if you encounter onworkable issues  

• Level 5*
On 2017-09-21 at 10:34 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

6.12.3 is a dot release which contains fixes to get sync reliability back to normal levels

I'm still experiencing sync issues
Sync interval is set to Manual, but there is still syncing activity

Since upgrading to 6.12.X, upon quitting EN I always get the message:

Waiting for Sync

Evernote will quit once the current sync is complete.

This message appears even if I synced right before quitting, and typically appears for approximately 5 seconds, at most, at then closes.

The option to "Warn me if I quit while syncing" is not selected, if  at all relevant to this issue. I did not see this message in previous releases of EN. It is irritating, and myself, like many I'm sure, would rather not see the message, and sync if need be—just don't warn us.

Yes I have experienced sync issues too. Since upgrading from 6.11 to  6.12.2 (455489 Direct) my client will sync after every single edit regardless of whether sync is set to manual, 15 mins or 30 mins.

Also the constant syncing is affecting network usage. Editing a 100KB text only note over one hour will generate several megabytes of traffic vs only 400-500KB if sync was working every 15 mins in accordance with my sync interval setting.

Updated to Version 6.12.3 (455520 Direct) and the Sync is still after ever spacebar or edit action.

Please fix with priority.

• Level 5*

Bug Report; Copy Classic Note Link fails if offline

Error message is    Your computer appears to be offline Try again when a connection is available

The note has been sync’d to the servers and has an ID.  A working link can be obtained with applescript

I suspect this bug was introduced with v6.12

I upgraded to 6.12.3 this morning, and my Business notebooks disappeared from my desktop app (but not my web version).  Only Personal notebooks now appear.  Work chat is still there, and I tested clicking through to a business notebook linked to in work chat, but Evernote crashed.  I have tried manually syncing multiple times and rebooting the program to no avail.

1 hour ago, gbeans said:

I upgraded to 6.12.3 this morning, and my Business notebooks disappeared from my desktop app (but not my web version).  Only Personal notebooks now appear.  Work chat is still there, and I tested clicking through to a business notebook linked to in work chat, but Evernote crashed.  I have tried manually syncing multiple times and rebooting the program to no avail.

Can you try signing out and signing into Evernote again to see if it resolves the issue? 

The old tables were so easy to use, looked nice and were great. This new implementation has made using evernote like using Microsoft Word. Taken an easy to use product and made it difficult.

I used to be able to make a single column, single row box that would do auto-width and made formatting documents into sections as a breeze. As of this update all of my templates and tables are wrecked. Just about all our notes not are difficult to read and as we open them up we have to reformat every note.

Bring back the old tables and make evernote easy to use again. Please don't turn it into formatting bloatware like Microsoft Word. Sorry I am very unhappy with this update. To the point where I now find it takes so much time to edit notes compared to before that I am looking elsewhere for a product since the usability has now gone. And I have been happily using evernote for 7 years.

I am happy to talk with someone from product support and describe and show in detail what I mean, but needless to say I am very unhappy with this update as most of my notes which were formatted in tables are now unreadable. I have to individually format the width of all the notes I use regularly.

Please go back to the KISS principal, this is why evernote was so good. Easy to put data in and easy to get it out. Not with this new version.

• Level 5

How's everyone doing w/ this version? I upgraded to 10.13 High Sierra and now my "old" 6.11 isn't refreshing the note list on the side (goes completely white/blank until the main EN window is closed and re-opened). So I am now somewhat itching to upgrade but I am extremely cautious of new EN releases given their disastrous track record. This thread seems pretty quiet though (with the exception of the Sync bug).  Has that been fixed yet?

• Level 5*
On 9/22/2017 at 8:56 AM, DTLow said:

Another lesson is;   If the  version doesn’t work for you, revert to a previous version  

Yes, but this should not be taken to mean it is a good practice to just try an upgrade, thinking you can easily revert:

• The upgrade may cause serious problems, even loss of data, or permanently changing the format of your notes.
  • Evernote does NOT maintain a download of prior versions, so you have to hunt and hope some third party has saved the prior version.
  • It takes a lot of effort and time to revert, especially if you have a lot of Notes and/or Local Notebooks.

Best practice, IMO, is wait and see.  Wait for those users who like, and are willing to risk, living on the cutting/bleeding edge.  There will always be some early adopters.  Wait to learn from their mistakes experience.  Just my 2¢.

• Level 5*

I know I have offered a bit of constructive criticism to Evernote, but I do try be fair and balanced.  I just read the latest Evernote blog on Tables, and watched their Facebook video demo, and I am very impressed with the design.  See New Evernote Tables and More. 

ATTN: @Evernote: (  @Chantal Leonard, @Johnathan Hebert, @Jason Miller ) 

Thank you for the outstanding design of the new table and image features.  ?

The new design is very compelling, and I'd love to upgrade as soon as I am convinced that no new material bugs have been introduced, and that my existing tables will remain as is.

When EN Mac 6.11 was released, it caused many existing tables to change for the worse.  Can anyone confirm that this release, 6.12.3 GA, will NOT adversely affect my existing tables?

Archived