Chantal Leonard

Evernote for Mac 6.12.3 GA

Idea

Hi Folks - 

6.12.3 is a dot release which contains fixes to get sync reliability back to normal levels as well as some fixes for intermittent crashes on upgrade and annotation. You can download it here, or by checking for updates from the App Store.   

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac Team 

Version 6.12.3 

Fixed: Fixed crash and sync issues some users are encountering.

Version 6.12.2 

Fixed: A fix where text when copied from Evernote and pasted into another app sometimes has additional punctuation and other characters added to it.

Version 6.12.1

Fixed: A fix for a crash some users are encountering on quitting the app.

Version 6.12

Major improvements to tables!

Some highlights of what you can do with tables now:

• Add more rows and columns with a single click: Point to where you want a new column and click the plus button that appears.
  • Select the contents of a cell by clicking and dragging.
  • Choose the entire column or row just by clicking the header.
  • Drag and drop entire rows & columns.
  • Copy and paste multiple cells: Select the cells you want to move, copy them, move cursor to a new spot and paste all the cells with one click.
  • Adjust the width of one column without affecting the width of the column next to it.
  • Scroll horizontally to view a table with many columns without expanding your window.
  • Hover within a cell to activate advanced table options.
    • You can distribute columns evenly
    • Match the table width to the width of your window
    • Change the alignment of items within cells
    • Add and change background colors

Multi-tasking improvements

• Keep your Evernote content organized using tabs. Create a new tab by selecting the 'New Tab' option under the File menu.
  • Pick up from where you left off - if you exit the app and re-open it, you'll return to your previously opened windows / state.

Separation of Business and Personal

• No longer intermingle your business and personal content in your Evernote experience but still multi-task when you need to. Improving on 6.11 Beta 1 & 2, we've added support for having business and personal notes open side-by-side.

Bug fixes

We’ve fixed several bugs that users reported including:

• Evernote does not update business tags list after the sync
  • Pasting a large amount of text into a note fails with no error message
  • An intermittent crash on account switching

41 replies to this idea

On 2017-09-21 at 10:34 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

6.12.3 is a dot release which contains fixes to get sync reliability back to normal levels

I'm still experiencing sync issues
Sync interval is set to Manual, but there is still syncing activity

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm still expeiencing sync issues
Sync interval is set to Manual, but there is still syncing activity

This is a known issue and we're working on it. Thanks for reporting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since upgrading to 6.12.X, upon quitting EN I always get the message:

Waiting for Sync

Evernote will quit once the current sync is complete.

This message appears even if I synced right before quitting, and typically appears for approximately 5 seconds, at most, at then closes.

The option to "Warn me if I quit while syncing" is not selected, if  at all relevant to this issue. I did not see this message in previous releases of EN. It is irritating, and myself, like many I'm sure, would rather not see the message, and sync if need be—just don't warn us.

21 hours ago, jonteamere said:

@adorno's gray I have experienced this too. I'm hoping that @nicolml is aware of this as well.

Hey y'all,

Sure enough we're aware of the pop up message upon quitting and we're working on addressing it soon as well. =) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How do I revert to the previous version? This new layout where all my notebooks are in a single list is atrocious and is making me waste so much time it is ridiculous. 

On 9/22/2017 at 8:56 AM, DTLow said:

Another lesson is;   If the  version doesn’t work for you, revert to a previous version  

Yes, but this should not be taken to mean it is a good practice to just try an upgrade, thinking you can easily revert:

• The upgrade may cause serious problems, even loss of data, or permanently changing the format of your notes.
  • Evernote does NOT maintain a download of prior versions, so you have to hunt and hope some third party has saved the prior version.
  • It takes a lot of effort and time to revert, especially if you have a lot of Notes and/or Local Notebooks.

Best practice, IMO, is wait and see.  Wait for those users who like, and are willing to risk, living on the cutting/bleeding edge.  There will always be some early adopters.  Wait to learn from their mistakes experience.  Just my 2¢.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know I have offered a bit of constructive criticism to Evernote, but I do try be fair and balanced.  I just read the latest Evernote blog on Tables, and watched their Facebook video demo, and I am very impressed with the design.  See New Evernote Tables and More. 

ATTN: @Evernote: (  @Chantal Leonard, @Johnathan Hebert, @Jason Miller ) 

Thank you for the outstanding design of the new table and image features.  👍

The new design is very compelling, and I'd love to upgrade as soon as I am convinced that no new material bugs have been introduced, and that my existing tables will remain as is.

When EN Mac 6.11 was released, it caused many existing tables to change for the worse.  Can anyone confirm that this release, 6.12.3 GA, will NOT adversely affect my existing tables?

• Like 2

I'm getting the continuous syncing problem after updating to 6.12.3. Interestingly I didn't having this problem on the last version. This makes the typing experience very unpleasant. Once I start typing the sync icon starts spinning and I get a half second typing delay every 2 seconds that can result in words being chopped in half. 

Is anyone else experiencing this? 

2 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Here's a good example that has a table within a cell:
Test Word Table.enex

Minor changes on import                                       Original       ===>  v6.12 (I added xxxx)
and the paste from Word still works 

59ceb26fb1861_ScreenShot2017-09-29at13_46_05.png.e2d61ee6250e13abbf604dd16dff3aa5.png      59ceaf475b212_2017-09-29_15-38-22(1).png.6dd8da06458032cc0910ca0361aa95c9.png.e3496d3b0ba13ed74507eb8213d972ab.png

Table options gives an Upgrade Table option which really messed with formatting 59ceb3bee7014_ScreenShot2017-09-29at13_54_11.png.a30c333ddd283c8f61db9495d37b6028.png
59ceb403120e7_ScreenShot2017-09-29at13_47_11.png.6dec919a6206e8708d9c399c24aa5a1e.png

• Thanks 1

Yes I have experienced sync issues too. Since upgrading from 6.11 to  6.12.2 (455489 Direct) my client will sync after every single edit regardless of whether sync is set to manual, 15 mins or 30 mins.

Also the constant syncing is affecting network usage. Editing a 100KB text only note over one hour will generate several megabytes of traffic vs only 400-500KB if sync was working every 15 mins in accordance with my sync interval setting.

Updated to Version 6.12.3 (455520 Direct) and the Sync is still after ever spacebar or edit action.

Please fix with priority.

Edited by redeye

Just noticed that Simplify Format now also clears all the highlights. Anyone knows how to retain them instead? Was wondering if it was an intentional change by the developer team...

Bug Report; Copy Classic Note Link fails if offline

Error message is    Your computer appears to be offline Try again when a connection is available

The note has been sync’d to the servers and has an ID.  A working link can be obtained with applescript

I suspect this bug was introduced with v6.12

I upgraded to 6.12.3 this morning, and my Business notebooks disappeared from my desktop app (but not my web version).  Only Personal notebooks now appear.  Work chat is still there, and I tested clicking through to a business notebook linked to in work chat, but Evernote crashed.  I have tried manually syncing multiple times and rebooting the program to no avail.

1 hour ago, gbeans said:

I upgraded to 6.12.3 this morning, and my Business notebooks disappeared from my desktop app (but not my web version).  Only Personal notebooks now appear.  Work chat is still there, and I tested clicking through to a business notebook linked to in work chat, but Evernote crashed.  I have tried manually syncing multiple times and rebooting the program to no avail.

Can you try signing out and signing into Evernote again to see if it resolves the issue? 

21 hours ago, nicolml said:

Can you try signing out and signing into Evernote again to see if it resolves the issue? 

YAY! I'll have to remember that simple trouble shooting step.  It worked, thank you.

• Like 1

The old tables were so easy to use, looked nice and were great. This new implementation has made using evernote like using Microsoft Word. Taken an easy to use product and made it difficult.

I used to be able to make a single column, single row box that would do auto-width and made formatting documents into sections as a breeze. As of this update all of my templates and tables are wrecked. Just about all our notes not are difficult to read and as we open them up we have to reformat every note.

Bring back the old tables and make evernote easy to use again. Please don't turn it into formatting bloatware like Microsoft Word. Sorry I am very unhappy with this update. To the point where I now find it takes so much time to edit notes compared to before that I am looking elsewhere for a product since the usability has now gone. And I have been happily using evernote for 7 years.

I am happy to talk with someone from product support and describe and show in detail what I mean, but needless to say I am very unhappy with this update as most of my notes which were formatted in tables are now unreadable. I have to individually format the width of all the notes I use regularly.

Please go back to the KISS principal, this is why evernote was so good. Easy to put data in and easy to get it out. Not with this new version.

• Like 1

How's everyone doing w/ this version? I upgraded to 10.13 High Sierra and now my "old" 6.11 isn't refreshing the note list on the side (goes completely white/blank until the main EN window is closed and re-opened). So I am now somewhat itching to upgrade but I am extremely cautious of new EN releases given their disastrous track record. This thread seems pretty quiet though (with the exception of the Sync bug).  Has that been fixed yet?

I think there is an issue with this update. Post this update I am unable to paste text copied from powerpoint slides. I have been using Evernote for more than a year but this is the first time I am facing this issue. 

I'd like to note that I have issues with all that is mentioned here. 

At times Evernote will try to sync every two or three key strokes. I am not a particularly fast typer but I am forced to wait for it to catch up with my key strokes. This wasn't an issue previously. And it isn't an issue with any other service or app I am using.

I prefer the older simple tables. For example, my attempts to create a single table for emphasis now result in text being cut off and having to scroll sideways. Clumsy and a waste of time.

And I, too, prefer the previous format for notebooks. Why not offer the option of both? 

20 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

and that my existing tables will remain as is.

Table changes apply to existing tables

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

Table changes apply to existing tables

Thanks for the feedback, but I could use more details, even a screen shot would be great.

I have a number of Notes with complex tables created in Word and pasted into Evernote.  Ver 6.11 pretty much destroyed these tables, but Ver 6.11.1 retain their format.

Can I expect tables pasted from Word to be modified in a significant, adverse way?