Best Approach for Starting Fresh with Evernote?

JS0497

Hello - I'm an avid Evernote User (Approx 12K notes and 250 notebooks), but will be switching jobs and would like to start fresh.  Ideally I could somehow archive all of my prior notes for posterity but would ideally have a "clean slate" for my job.  I assume this will help me not only from an organizational perspective but also a performance perspective.  Can anyone recommend the best approach towards doing this?  I could just create a new account entirely but would prefer not to do that if i don't have to. 

Thanks!

Jeremy

• Level 5*

Personal accounts are limited to 250 notebooks so you definitely need some "starting fresh" action

I'd recommend you look at switching to tags for organization; limit 100,000
At a minimum, you can convert Notebook:aaaaa to Tag:aaaaa on a 1:1 basis

Which platform/device?  I'd be using scripting on my Mac to make changes
Otherwise, it's a manual process

For archiving, you can export to html.  The notes will still be available for access

A year and a half ago I started a new job and I created a new notebook (I did not have that many notebooks like you do however). I moved all the "work" related notes I kept for those projects and actionable items into that new notebook. 

Renamed my previous notebooks with the new company initials and it was a fresh start for me. Especially, when I moved all the notes that were sitting in the actionable notebook for my previous company into the archive notebook, I definitely felt like a fresh, clean start!

I also renamed my Project Reference Tag to the <Previous Company Name> Project Reference so there was another differentiation.

Thanks all!

DT Low - I like your idea of tags, but given that evernote already uses a lot of memory and I won't need to frequently access those old notes I'd rather just archive 99% of them.  I suppose I coudl archive and delete but worried that may not be as "clean" as just starting fresh (EG will it still run slow or use excess memory due to fragmented storage, messy indexes or other residual data behind the scenes. 

Do you know if there's any way to just create an entirely new "instance" of evernote and wipe the slate clean (after archive of course).  I suppose I could just sign up for an entirely new account worst case. 

Or am I being overly concerned about this? 

I am using a Mac..    Scripting does sound ideal for at least the archiving part. 

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, JS0497 said:

Do you know if there's any way to just create an entirely new "instance" of evernote and wipe the slate clean (after archive of course).  I suppose I could just sign up for an entirely new account worst case. 

The only way I can see for a "new instance of Evernote" is to create a separate account

Archived