Clip content into an existing note

stephen_bradley

Idea

I don't see this anywhere, and maybe that means I'm the only one who wants it.

One of the only features of OneNote that I like is the ability to clip new content into an existing note, not just a notebook. Example: I'm working on a task, I have a note for it. An email comes in about that task that I want to save, I clip it and put it directly into the existing note. With EN, I have to create a new note, go find that note, find the original note, and either automatically merge them or manually cut/paste.

Apple Notes does this as well, and as I've been using that more frequently, the lack of it in Evernote stands out even more.

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, stephen_bradley said:

clip new content into an existing note

I upvoted, but it’s not a high priority for  me

My web clippings go into my Inbox notebook.  In a later process I deal with tagging etc, and as you pointed out merging with other notes  (GTD 101  Collection > Processing)

20 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I upvoted, but it’s not a high priority for  me

My web clippings go into my Inbox notebook.  In a later process I deal with tagging etc, and as you pointed out merging with other notes  (GTD 101  Collection > Processing)

It might have to do with how I use Evernote/OneNote. I do a lot of task management in them, because my tasks often involve a lot of notes, drawings, files and such - there aren't a lot of task managers that do those things well, at least, no better than EN does them.

So probably 60% of the time that I'm clipping something from the web, and 90% of the time from email, it's intended to go into an existing task/note.

Having to manually merge things 30-40 times per day (I always have multiple tasks) is time consuming. Letting it all pile up until the end is often worse.

This isn't my #1 request, but it sure would save me a boatload of time. I've started using OneNote specifically because of this, but man, do I dislike it in almost every other way, except for the automatic Styles. That's a great time saver too. 

Archived