Evernote for Mac 6.12.2 GA

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi Folks - 

6.12.2 is now generally available. This dot release included a fix to help ease some issues users are encountering around copy/pasting content from Evernote into some other apps. You can download it here, or by checking for updates from the App Store. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac Team 

Version 6.12.2 

Fixed: A fix where text when copied from Evernote and pasted into another app sometimes has additional punctuation and other characters added to it.

Version 6.12.1

Fixed: A fix for a crash some users are encountering on quitting the app.

Version 6.12

Major improvements to tables!

Some highlights of what you can do with tables now:

• Add more rows and columns with a single click: Point to where you want a new column and click the plus button that appears.
  • Select the contents of a cell by clicking and dragging.
  • Choose the entire column or row just by clicking the header.
  • Drag and drop entire rows & columns.
  • Copy and paste multiple cells: Select the cells you want to move, copy them, move cursor to a new spot and paste all the cells with one click.
  • Adjust the width of one column without affecting the width of the column next to it.
  • Scroll horizontally to view a table with many columns without expanding your window.
  • Hover within a cell to activate advanced table options.
    • You can distribute columns evenly
    • Match the table width to the width of your window
    • Change the alignment of items within cells
    • Add and change background colors

Multi-tasking improvements

• Keep your Evernote content organized using tabs. Create a new tab by selecting the 'New Tab' option under the File menu.
  • Pick up from where you left off - if you exit the app and re-open it, you'll return to your previously opened windows / state.

Separation of Business and Personal

• No longer intermingle your business and personal content in your Evernote experience but still multi-task when you need to. Improving on 6.11 Beta 1 & 2, we've added support for having business and personal notes open side-by-side.

Bug fixes

We’ve fixed several bugs that users reported including:

• Evernote does not update business tags list after the sync
  • Pasting a large amount of text into a note fails with no error message
  • An intermittent crash on account switching

40 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 2017-09-17 at 2:23 PM, dixonbruce said:

We should not have to check to see if an update has bugs before installing it. This is a ridiculous suggestion. 

Controlling software versions is my method of protecting my devices from known bugs and feature changes.

If you have a better suggestion, let’s hear it; and how is it working out for you?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dixonbruce said:

We should not have to check to see if an update has bugs before installing it. This is a ridiculous suggestion.

Unfortunately since the advent of wide-spread high bandwidth Internet access by most users, the developers, but primarily their testers and QA staff, have become very lax in properly testing a public production release before actually releasing it.  However, I do have to say that Evernote seems much worse in this behavior than any other company/developer that I know of.

I remember a time, about 5 years ago, when EN Mac and EN Win releases were so reliable, and had so few (if any) material bugs, that I automatically updated Evernote as soon as the release become available.  Those days are now long gone, and I NEVER automatically update any software.  I often wait weeks, even months, before I make an update, all the while doing my due diligence to ensure the update does not contain any bugs or changes that would break my critical workflow.  

On 9/15/2017 at 9:27 PM, upnix said:

An example from the original HTML source, same line breaks and all:

<p>While a-priori searching on encrypted data may sound impossible and
even contradictory, we know of many ways to do it. Some methods are
more practical than others, some are more secure than others and some are more
functional/flexible.</p>

How this renders in the web browser and Evernote Web:

How this renders in Evernote for the Mac:

Note that where the text (not HTML) line break happened in the source HTML, the trailing and leading words are rendered without a space between them in Evernote for the Mac. "andeven", "aremore", "morefunctional".

Although interestingly, the Android client behaves as the Mac client. No, actually, the Android client renders with the expected (correct) spacing. It looks like once the Mac client modifies/saves the clipped note, the bad spacing sticks and then shows up across all the other clients.

Anyway, I wouldn't consider this an erroneous expectation on my part. At the most basic level, if it has a space in the webpage clipped (as viewed from Safari or Firefox), why isn't that space rendered by Evernote?

In a nutshell we use rendering engine that is behaving a bit different than what you are seeing with Firefox and Safari, they should behave the same, when they don't we try to fix ours. 

On 9/16/2017 at 9:01 AM, mwall4161 said:

Starting with 6.12.1 (possibly earlier & I missed a version upgrade) tables appear incorrectly in my notes (imported as emails sent directly to my Evernote email address).  They're fine in the web app, and before the 6.12 upgrade they appeared exactly the same as in the web app.

In the attached screenshot, Evernote for Mac (6.12.2) is on the left, Evernote web app is on the right.

I'm going to downgrade for now and won't be upgrading until this issue is resolved.

diff.jpeg

It looks like a table was being used for laying out the note and 6.12.2 really message it up - it is possible to get a copy of this note (ENEX file) to have Dev take at look at it?

On 9/16/2017 at 9:40 AM, jbushnell1 said:

I've noticed a change in the 6.12-era releases to the way that Simplify Formatting works. I've noticed it specifically with merged notes--Simplify Formatting no longer simplifies the formatting of the merged-note "headers" Evernote creates.  I've attached a screenshot to clarify the text I'm talking about--it's the large bold-faced text with the grey background (36-point, set in bold, whereas my font size set in Preferences is 18-point, without bold).  I'm trying to troubleshoot this problem by scrutinizing what exactly happens when "Merge Notes" activates--it seems like it puts the text in a table (see the second screenshot, where selecting the text reveals hairlines that look like table cell boundaries), but none of the Table functionality (itself newly modified in 6.12) seems to work on these notes, and cutting and pasting the material into a different app (Word) doesn't copy it as a table.  So anyone with pointers as to how I can get rid of that comically enlarged font and that grey table-cell-like background?  Or do I just wait for a bug fix?

Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 10.28.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 10.35.55 AM.png

Filed a new bug for merged notes breaking simplify formatting 

On 9/17/2017 at 10:40 PM, DTLow said:

Controlling software versions is my method of protecting my devices from known bugs and feature changes.

If you have a better suggestion, let’s hear it; and how is it working out for you?

I am here reading the forums because I know that Evernote has a problem with reliability. Being as I am tech savvy, I know to do such things, but that does not mean that people should have to. If my mother wants to use Evernote, should she come here too to check if some bug is being introduced? Of course not. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, dixonbruce said:

I am here reading the forums because I know that Evernote has a problem with reliability. Being as I am tech savvy, I know to do such things, but that does not mean that people should have to. If my mother wants to use Evernote, should she come here too to check if some bug is being introduced? Of course not. 

It would be a good idea for your Mother to disable automatic software upgrades

It’s great she has you for tech support

On 9/15/2017 at 6:11 AM, DTLow said:

Of course we all have the option of not implementing the upgrades.  Also, it’s a good idea to read the reviews before upgrading

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, famkee said:

It doesn't really help work flow to add an extra click to change notebooks.

You could post a feature request for notebooks in the sidebar. 

In the meantime, the sidebar shows shortcut entires.  You can add notebooks to this section

On 9/18/2017 at 5:35 PM, javalife said:

I don't know what's going on. I believe I lost all customized table format with this version. Is that  recoverable?

Can you right click in a problem table and go to the table option and choose upgrade table and get back what you are looking for/need? 

On 9/18/2017 at 10:35 AM, mdmgallagher@gmail.com said:

I upgraded to Version 6.12.2 (455489 Direct) today and now all of my notes have disappeared on my Mac. 

I also have OneNote as part of Office 365 and use both however after this I'm loosing confidence in Evernote and may stop using it in favour of One Note

So you have zero notes listed if you go to the all notes view?  are the notes on the web?  (if not did you open a support case for data lost?)

On 9/18/2017 at 10:35 AM, mdmgallagher@gmail.com said:

I upgraded to Version 6.12.2 (455489 Direct) today and now all of my notes have disappeared on my Mac. 

I also have OneNote as part of Office 365 and use both however after this I'm loosing confidence in Evernote and may stop using it in favour of One Note

So you have zero notes listed if you go to the all notes view?  are the notes on the web?  (if not did you open a support case for data lost?)

• Level 5*

Just so everyone is aware, a new update has been released:

On 9/19/2017 at 12:47 AM, Chantal Leonard said:

Version 6.12.3 Beta

Fixed: Fixed crash and sync issues some users are encountering.

Version 6.12.2 

Fixed: A fix where text when copied from Evernote and pasted into another app sometimes has additional punctuation and other characters added to it.

38 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

Can you right click in a problem table and go to the table option and choose upgrade table and get back what you are looking for/need? 

I cannot see 'upgrade table' option in 'Tables', it only has Insert..., Delete... options.

anyway i already dragged them to the correct format.

thanks for answering my question

8 minutes ago, mdmgallagher@gmail.com said:

Sorry I've been posting a support question in this stream by accident, I also subscribed to alerts somehow how do I switch this off please as I'm getting loads ;-)

There is a follow option at the top of this post that allows the controlling of notifications 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, JMichaelTX said:

There are a number of different ways to produce a line break in addition to the <br> tag, including use of the <div> tag:
<div>some text here</div>

Those tags also work for a line break.  The op is not using html tags and expecting a space to be substituted for line-feeds

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, Chantal Leonard said:

6.12.2 is now generally available. This dot release included a fix to help ease some issues users are encountering around copy/pasting content from Evernote into some other apps. You can download it here, or by checking for updates from the App Store. 

@Chantal Leonard, thanks for the update.

Does this fix the conflicting changes bug in 6.12.1 reported by many?

@JMichaelTX good question. We have what we think is a fix for the issue, but waiting to see some data from 6.12.2 to make sure it's addressed at scale. We're tracking down a couple of additional issues around sync'ing we may include in a 6.12.3 dot release. 

Would be interested to hear if you see sync issues go away with 6.12.2.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Would be interested to hear if you see sync issues go away with 6.12.2.

Sorry, but ALL EN Mac 6.12 releases have been far to buggy for me.  I'm still on 6.11.1.

Please quit releasing new releases (GA) until you have fixed ALL of the material bugs. I was so hopeful with 6.11.1, but you guys have really dropped the ball since then.  Do you realize that?  Do you understand the impact you have on millions of your customers when you release very buggy releases like 6.12 and 6.12.1????

Please slow down your release cycle.  We don't need new features nearly as much as we need you to fix all material bugs!!!

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Do you understand the impact you have on millions of your customers when you release very buggy releases like ...

The impact to me is I downgrade to a previous version if I can’t work around the bugs

>>Please quit releasing new releases (GA) until you have fixed ALL of the material bugs ... I'm still on 6.11.1.

Personally, I appreciate the speedy release of these hotfix patches.  I need the patch asap for the sync issue  

Of course we all have the option of not implementing the upgrades.  Also, it’s a good idea to read the reviews before upgrading

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Personally, I appreciate the speedy release of these hotfix patches.  I need the patch asap for the sync issue  

Well, I suppose if you have upgraded to a broken release, then an update is welcome.

But that is not my point.  The release that caused the initial issue should NOT have been made.  Releases 6.12 and 6.12.1 were clearly premature, and each release introduced new, serious bugs.  My point is that we could certainly wait a while longer after 6.11.1 before a new release is made to ensure that it does NOT contain serious bugs, or even material bugs.

There are many, many apps that have only 1 or two releases a year.  This seems much preferable to me, as it gives the developer the proper time to design and fully debug a new release.  I suspect many bugs come from premature design.

With only, let's say two, releases a year, Evernote would have plenty of time for design, and to engage in extended beta cycles to identify and fix all bugs before a production (GA) release.

I have to concur with JMichaelTX. Too many bugs lately with each new release. It's not that we don't appreciate the work you are putting in but a little more quality control is needed.

On at least two of the previous updates, I found EN freezing as the update announcement pane came up and I had to force quit. Not encouraging.

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but the last couple of Mac Evernote versions seems to eat text spacing for some content. I've noticed in it very old notes, but I just realized now that it happens to with content from the Evernote WebClipper.

I've attached a screenshot of a note with the issue. On the left I have the `content.enml` open, which shows that the text across line breaks isn't being displayed with a space in the text.

Looking at the same note on the Web client, the spacing is correct.

The original clipped page is http://outsourcedbits.org/2013/10/06/how-to-search-on-encrypted-data-introduction-part-1/

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 8.33.32 AM.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, upnix said:

On the left I have the `content.enml` open, which shows that the text across line breaks isn't being displayed with a space in the text.

The “line breaks” seem odd for html coding.  I would expect to see a <br> tag

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, DTLow said:

The “line breaks” seem odd for html coding.  I would expect to see a <br> tag

Which HTML code do you find odd?

There are a number of different ways to produce a line break in addition to the <br> tag, including use of the <div> tag:
<div>some text here</div>

This put the text on a new line.  Evernote often uses this in the Note EMML.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, upnix said:

Looking at the note history, the very previous version has the PDF.

That seems proof the pdf was in the note, even though it’s now gone

I haven’t noticed attachments disappearing by themselves, but found myself accidentally deleting them.   It’s much too easy and I’d like a confirmation step

5 hours ago, DTLow said:

Those tags also work for a line break.  The op is not using html tags and expecting a space to be substituted for line-feeds

An example from the original HTML source, same line breaks and all:

<p>While a-priori searching on encrypted data may sound impossible and
even contradictory, we know of many ways to do it. Some methods are
more practical than others, some are more secure than others and some are more
functional/flexible.</p>

How this renders in the web browser and Evernote Web:

While a-priori searching on encrypted data may sound impossible and even contradictory, we know of many ways to do it. Some methods are more practical than others, some are more secure than others and some are more functional/flexible.

How this renders in Evernote for the Mac:

While a-priori searching on encrypted data may sound impossible andeven contradictory, we know of many ways to do it. Some methods aremore practical than others, some are more secure than others and some are morefunctional/flexible.

Note that where the text (not HTML) line break happened in the source HTML, the trailing and leading words are rendered without a space between them in Evernote for the Mac. "andeven", "aremore", "morefunctional".

Although interestingly, the Android client behaves as the Mac client. No, actually, the Android client renders with the expected (correct) spacing. It looks like once the Mac client modifies/saves the clipped note, the bad spacing sticks and then shows up across all the other clients.

Anyway, I wouldn't consider this an erroneous expectation on my part. At the most basic level, if it has a space in the webpage clipped (as viewed from Safari or Firefox), why isn't that space rendered by Evernote?

I've been getting a problem since I upgraded to Evernote Version 6.12.1 (455453 Direct) last week. The problem is persistent. I'm a premium user.

While I'm writing a note in a notebook, there is a sync conflict issue. It keeps creating new notebooks with names like "conflict..." something. I've disabled sync by changing the setting to "manual", but the problem keeps recurring. It continues to sync even when set to manual. Its very annoying and making the software unusable. While I'm typing something in a note, there will be a conflict issue, and the app will automatically switch me to a conflicted version of the note, which will only contain some of the data that I typed, and the rest will be in the original note. Should I downgrade?

Starting with 6.12.1 (possibly earlier & I missed a version upgrade) tables appear incorrectly in my notes (imported as emails sent directly to my Evernote email address).  They're fine in the web app, and before the 6.12 upgrade they appeared exactly the same as in the web app.

In the attached screenshot, Evernote for Mac (6.12.2) is on the left, Evernote web app is on the right.

I'm going to downgrade for now and won't be upgrading until this issue is resolved.

diff.jpeg

I've noticed a change in the 6.12-era releases to the way that Simplify Formatting works. I've noticed it specifically with merged notes--Simplify Formatting no longer simplifies the formatting of the merged-note "headers" Evernote creates.  I've attached a screenshot to clarify the text I'm talking about--it's the large bold-faced text with the grey background (36-point, set in bold, whereas my font size set in Preferences is 18-point, without bold).  I'm trying to troubleshoot this problem by scrutinizing what exactly happens when "Merge Notes" activates--it seems like it puts the text in a table (see the second screenshot, where selecting the text reveals hairlines that look like table cell boundaries), but none of the Table functionality (itself newly modified in 6.12) seems to work on these notes, and cutting and pasting the material into a different app (Word) doesn't copy it as a table.  So anyone with pointers as to how I can get rid of that comically enlarged font and that grey table-cell-like background?  Or do I just wait for a bug fix?

Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 10.28.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 10.35.55 AM.png

(Interestingly, "Simplify Formatting" works fine on these notes in the iOS app, so I've taken to merging notes in the desktop app and then picking up a mobile device to annihilate the formatting, but hopefully this clumsy workaround is not going to need to be my permanent fix.)

1 hour ago, jbushnell1 said:

You're right that those grey-box headers are in a table (by looking at the ENML file). I don't know what you can do with that information, however. A user created table can be selected and Simplify Formatting will work as well as it does on normal text.

I think waiting for bug fixes is what we're all doing.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jbushnell1 said:

I'm trying to troubleshoot this problem by scrutinizing what exactly happens when "Merge Notes" activates--it seems like it puts the text in a table

You might look at the underlying html code.  In my test, I see  
<table bgcolor="#D4DDE5" border="0" width="100%"><colgroup><col/></colgroup><tbody><tr><td><div>    </div><h1>test merge heading</h1><div>  </div></td></tr></tbody></table>

It's a table, but Evernote doesn't recognize it as a table; I can't use the table features, like Delete Table

The text is defined by html style <h1> ...</h1>

Has anyone noticed recently added attachments disappearing? I thought I noticed it a few times, but second guessed myself enough to not look into it. However, this morning I'm certain the last time I had a particular note open I had attached a PDF, and now it's gone.

Looking at the note history, the very previous version has the PDF. Looking on the file system I see three identical (but differently named files) that end in "en-pdf-text." There are no longer any PDFs in this note, and there aren't any PDF files in the note directory.

My Activity Log doesn't go back far enough to when I initially attached the PDF. So, I guess I'm just putting this out there. Maybe someone else has noticed this.

Edit - Turns out I do still have the activity log, and I can see where/when my PDF was deleted. It looks something like this:

2017/09/12 10:00:11:423 I|*   main  -[ENCommonEditorWebView commitEditingWithCompletion:] | Saving note [7a630cca-e503-4862-84fb-a3903e475230]/p2303 length of 2650 bytes:
2017/09/12 10:00:11:424 I|*   14558 -[ENMacNoteMO updateNoteResourcesByHash:] | Note resources hashes found in content: {(
    58cf8d6e28ee2a1704eef47a7365b552
)} for note 7a630cca-e503-4862-84fb-a3903e475230/p2303 'Unit 2: Ethics and Moral Reasoning' 517182 <9f1cd3e7 1e060a35 5fe8183c 86d5afdd>
2017/09/12 10:00:11:424 I|*   14558 -[ENMacNoteMO updateNoteResourcesByHash:] | Note resources hashes found in model:   {(
    1b6d1728cf37d2ff466c2e4ddc8f2b0f
)} for note 7a630cca-e503-4862-84fb-a3903e475230/p2303 'Unit 2: Ethics and Moral Reasoning' 517182 <9f1cd3e7 1e060a35 5fe8183c 86d5afdd>
2017/09/12 10:00:11:444 I|*   14558 -[ENMacNoteMO updateNoteResourcesByHash:] | Deleting resource with hash 1b6d1728cf37d2ff466c2e4ddc8f2b0f in note 7a630cca-e503-4862-84fb-a3903e475230/p2303 'Unit 2: Ethics and Moral Reasoning' 517182 <9f1cd3e7 1e060a35 5fe8183c 86d5afdd>
2017/09/12 10:00:11:444 I|*   14558 -[ENCoreDataLocalStore expungeObjects:] | Deleting local object <ENMacResourceMO 0x7f907710f950> MOID:0x99a80016b <x-coredata://82E72F89-3690-42D2-9BDF-D6A8375F4D4D/ENResource/p9834> GUID:(null)
2017/09/12 10:00:11:449 W|**  14558 -[ENMLIntegrityWriter parser:didStartElement:attributes:] | Can't emit en-media tag for hash 58cf8d6e28ee2a1704eef47a7365b552 because it's not in self.resourceHashes

So.. If someone wants this log and more details, let me know. I'm not really willing to go through the normal Evernote support process to get someone to look at this, however.

Edit 2 - Ok, last edit. I can semi-reliably reproduce this. I think it's related to modifying the PDF with an outside application and syncing. If I attach a 3 megabyte PDF (unsure the importance of the size), write text to the note, open and modify the PDF outside of Evernote, write more text into the note, then leave the note and come back, 25% of the time the PDF will be gone. If I do this long enough my activity log will be going berserk with:

2017/09/17 11:57:11:863 I|*   19658 -[ENSyncEngine(Resources) processLocalResourceChanges] | Processing local resource changes...
2017/09/17 11:57:11:863 E|*** 19665 -[ENCoreDataLocalStore objectWithID:] | Unable to fetch object!
2017/09/17 11:57:11:864 I|*   19665 -[ENCoreDataLocalStore objectWithID:] | objectID=0x9bac0014b <x-coredata://82E72F89-3690-42D2-9BDF-D6A8375F4D4D/ENResource/p9963>, request=<NSFetchRequest: 0x7fba2ac58110> (entity: ENResource; predicate: (SELF == <ENMacResourceMO: 0x7fba2ac56610> (entity: ENResource; id: 0x9bac0014b <x-coredata://82E72F89-3690-42D2-9BDF-D6A8375F4D4D/ENResource/p9963> ; data: <fault>)); sortDescriptors: ((null)); type: NSManagedObjectResultType; ), object=<ENMacResourceMO: 0x7fba2ac56610> (entity: ENResource; id: 0x9bac0014b <x-coredata://82E72F89-3690-42D2-9BDF-D6A8375F4D4D/ENResource/p9963> ; data: <fault>)
2017/09/17 11:57:11:864 E|*** 19665 -[ENCoreDataLocalStore objectWithID:] | Unable to fetch object!
2017/09/17 11:57:11:864 I|*   19665 -[ENCoreDataLocalStore objectWithID:] | objectID=0x9bb80014b <x-coredata://82E72F89-3690-42D2-9BDF-D6A8375F4D4D/ENResource/p9966>, request=<NSFetchRequest: 0x7fba2a530ee0> (entity: ENResource; predicate: (SELF == <ENMacResourceMO: 0x7fba29dbf530> (entity: ENResource; id: 0x9bb80014b <x-coredata://82E72F89-3690-42D2-9BDF-D6A8375F4D4D/ENResource/p9966> ; data: <fault>)); sortDescriptors: ((null)); type: NSManagedObjectResultType; ), object=<ENMacResourceMO: 0x7fba29dbf530> (entity: ENResource; id: 0x9bb80014b <x-coredata://82E72F89-3690-42D2-9BDF-D6A8375F4D4D/ENResource/p9966> ; data: <fault>)
2017/09/17 11:57:11:868 I|*   19658 -[ENSyncEngine(Notebooks) processLocalNotebookExpungements] | Processing local notebook expungements...
2017/09/17 11:57:11:869 E|*** 19665 -[ENCoreDataLocalStore objectWithID:] | Unable to fetch object!

Not wanting to spend any more time on this, I wasn't able to pin it down any more.

Archived