Creating more than one notebook at a time.

Amr Eid

Hi,

I need help, please. I want to create a list of notebooks in Evernote. I want to create a notebook for every customer. however, I don't want to add it one by one as I have 200 customers. My question is there a way to patch create notebooks from a customer name list?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Your account has a limit of 250 notebooks.  It would be very unwise to use up 200 of those for one purpose.  It's easy to add tags and titles to notes - could you consider using standardised tags?  They can be 'nested' to create a folder-style hierarchy as in

Bloggs_J
  Bloggs_J_quote
  Bloggs_J_order
  Bloggs_J_invoice

Brown_A
  Brown_A_quote

etc.

You'd have to work out the system - an alternative is to have client names as tags plus the appropriate status - "quote" "order" "invoice"

There is no way however to create notebooks in bulk.

• Level 5*
On 2017-09-10 at 7:43 PM, Amr Eid said:

I need help, please. I want to create a list of notebooks in Evernote. I want to create a notebook for every customer. however, I don't want to add it one by one as I have 200 customers. My question is there a way to patch create notebooks from a customer name list?

It’s do-able, but I agree with @gazumped that notebooks are not the answer.  I’d prefix note titles with the  customer name

For creating notebooks 

- Windows ENScript       createNotebook /n aaaaaaaaaa

- Mac Applescript          tell application “Evernote” to create notebook aaaaaaaaaa

• Level 5*

For Windows, you'll need to open a command prompt. One way to do this is holding down the Windows key, then pressing 'R', then letting go. This should bring up the Run dialog. Type 'cmd' (without quotes) in the edit box, and click OK. A command prompt should pop up. Now you need to run the ENScript program. You may be able to type 'enscript' at the command-line (without quotes) and press Enter, and it will work. If not, try "c:\program files (x86)\evernote\evernote\enscript.exe" (this time with the quotes), and press Enter. Once you do that, then the command

"c:\program files (x86)\evernote\evernote\enscript.exe" createNotebook /n MyNotebook

should create a new notebook named 'MyNotebook" in your account. Repeat as often as you like with other notebook names. To save typing, you should be able to use the up arrow on your keyboard to retrieve the previous command and edit it with the new notebook name.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, Amr Eid said:

Is there a place where I can find a step by step instructions, please. 

6 hours ago, jefito said:

For Windows, you'll need to open a command prompt.

I’ve been out off Windows for a long time but there used to be a concept of a batch file.

You use notepad to create the file; 200 enscript lines if you like

I found this reference that’s more step by step

https://fossbytes.com/what-is-a-batch-file-in-windows-how-to-create-a-batch-file/

Archived