autocomplete deletes tags while typing in tag fields

Entering tags, old and new tags, has been quite a battle for a long time. Here's what I've observed:

1. Fairly frequently, but not always, when I type part of a tag into one of the tag input fields and stop part way through, what I've typed disappears. The little dropdown of matched/recommended tags usually remains.
  2. Sometimes my typed tag text disappears within a fraction of a second, leaving behind the dropdown, sometimes after a couple of seconds, and sometimes not at all.
  3. Sometimes Evernote's disappearing of typed tag text is so aggressive that I have to reenter the letters 5-6 times. I might start, for example, by typing "f", which shows all the tags starting with "f" in the dropdown. My "f" then disappears, so when I hit the next letter "o", I don't get the desired "fo", I only get "o" with a new dropdown of tags starting with "o". So I start again and maybe get to "foo" before my typed tag text disappears again, leaving a dropdown with all the tags starting with "foo", so when I hit "b" I don't end up with "foob", but only with with "b" and all the tags in the dropdown that start with "b".  Eventually I'll manage to work my way up to "foobar", but it can take a few tries.

Reinstalling Evernote doesn't help, and this seems to happen on both of my devices (2009 iMac and 2015 MacBook, both running El Capitan). It's also been the case for a long time – months, if not a couple of years. I've always assumed it was due to some glitchy feature of Evernote's, some kind of automatic resetting of input fields gone awry, and done my best to ignore it. However, it would be quite helpful if I didn't have to retype tags 2+ times.

Archived