• 5 months later...

I have the same issue. Evernote will not sync if I'm on a VPN. I am not switching countries, just going to California from Alabama for work. 

12:55:11 [ERROR  ] [23364] [20524] 0% Can't send HTTP request, error: INTERNET_CANNOT_CONNECT
12:55:11 [INFO   ] [23364] [15232] GA-TEA: Failed to send event (error(800c0005): The system cannot locate the resource specified.)
12:55:11 [INFO   ] [23364] [19880] Client synchronization finished, status: failed

As soon as I go off the VPN it will sync. No other applications are having any issues.

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, YzRacer said:

I have the same issue. Evernote will not sync if I'm on a VPN. I am not switching countries, just going to California from Alabama for work. 

12:55:11 [ERROR  ] [23364] [20524] 0% Can't send HTTP request, error: INTERNET_CANNOT_CONNECT
12:55:11 [INFO   ] [23364] [15232] GA-TEA: Failed to send event (error(800c0005): The system cannot locate the resource specified.)
12:55:11 [INFO   ] [23364] [19880] Client synchronization finished, status: failed

As soon as I go off the VPN it will sync. No other applications are having any issues.

Any firewalls in the mix?

6 hours ago, CalS said:

Any firewalls in the mix?

I don't believe so. The guys in the office where I VPN also have Evernote and have reported no issues. Next time I'm away I'll try to VPN to my house and see if the problem exists on my own VPN.

• Level 5*

I use EN with 

5 hours ago, YzRacer said:

I don't believe so. The guys in the office where I VPN also have Evernote and have reported no issues. Next time I'm away I'll try to VPN to my house and see if the problem exists on my own VPN.

I use VPN when at home or traveling without any issues.  Haven’t tried it in an office behind a firewall though.  

On 2/27/2018 at 10:58 AM, YzRacer said:

Can you access Evernote (web app) using Internet Explorer? That's what we use as the connection layer. (I have to connect to VPN at work and have no issues with syncing)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, dconnet said:

Can you access Evernote (web app) using Internet Explorer? That's what we use as the connection layer. (I have to connect to VPN at work and have no issues with syncing)

Good catch! Internet Explorer won't go anywhere when I am on VPN. Other browsers work fine. No proxy is configured. I'll submit a ticket with my IT team. Thanks for the tip!

I contacted my help desk and they informed me that nothing on the VPN should cause this issue. Here's what they said:

1. Start Menu -> Settings
  2. Network & Internet
  3. Scroll down to "Network and Sharing Center"
  4. In the bottom left under "See also", select "Internet Options"
  5. Under the "Connections" tab, check the VPN settings for any proxy.  Uncheck any boxes.
  6. Also under the "Connections" tab, check "LAN settings" for any proxy.  Uncheck any boxes.

Unchecking the box that says "Automatically detect settings" is what solved the issue. Evernote is now syncing again over the VPN.

Thanks

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

I can understand what you are saying, that's why I never a trusted a VPN without reading their review. I have checked the best VPN lists before and mostly I found that Nord VPN is better the Express VPN. I have also read very extensive review of Nord VPN on ReviewsDir, you can also check it there.

• Level 5*

I’ve been using Private Internet Access for a few years and it works well for me.  Seemed to do the best job of preserving bandwidth in the places I use it.  It is fun digging through the hype of the contenders.  

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I guess that you need to connect VPN first then to login to evernote. Maybe it works like data clearance on the browser, when you need to login again when everything changes to a "blank page". Or there is something wrong with your vpn provider and you need to search for a good alternative that will support the system. If you don't know where to find a good VPN provider, I can suggest you to search it here https://www.vpntesting.com/reviews/protonvpn. Usually their products are very good, moreover they have ratings and reviews of each.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, ypspidsi said:

I guess that you need to connect VPN first then to login to evernote.

One of my laptops has an annoying habit of dropping out of the network, forcing NordVPN to reconnect to the server.  Evernote Windows 6.25 doesn't seem to mind overmuch - my Evernote session stays active and open...

• Level 5

@ypspidsiWell, you need to understand how VPN works, and what you want to achieve.

If you want to use a VPN service, you first need to connect to it, build a stable connection, and then start using whatever internet services you want.

If the VPN fails, you fall back to the normal internet provided by your ISP. Some providers offer an "autokill"-option that will stop you from using the internet if the VPN connection gets lost. You can then decide to continue without the VPN, or reestablish the link.

Since EN v10 is practically a browser with a nice GUI, it depends on a stable internet connection. If you don't have it, log in while online, keep the app open and cut your internet connection. It is better to work offline and only go back online when you're done, and want to go back to sync. It is the same when using a VPN, but can't stay connected all the time.

• 2 years later...

Private company's vpn.  Constantly trying to save after every keystroke, but either no or slow connectivity makes EN simply hang while connected to that vpn.

Is there a way to FORCE OFFLINE mode?  Because the vpn still appears like you're connected, EN doesn't go into offline mode, but it's for all intents & purposes USELESS at that point.

---------

Also, is there confirmation, then, that EN data is encrypted in transit from local to cloud?  Otherwise, does using EN WHILE connected a private company's VPN pass along all your private note-taking through their servers, unencrypted?

• Level 5
If you use a VPN (which works) you still have the traffic between the VPN exit server and the EN cloud server. Using a VPN doesn’t change the general situation.

A VPN can be useful, but it is no security silver bullet.

No problem here, since the traffic between your device and the EN server is TLS/SSL encrypted.