Evernote became VERY slow after a note with multiple PDF attachments

Hi,

As a new Evernote user with a recently purchased premium account I have been enjoing the evernote experience and icnreasing my grasp on the software across all platforms. 

All of a sudden, after a note with multiple pdf attachments (15 or so) with the size approx. 75 mb in total, evernote DESKTOP started to operate sloggishly especially in attempts to work on that particular note. I cannot delete or change this note for a while as I shared its link with collegues. I see there are similar posts with regards to Evernote slowing down and this is incredibly alarming for me. 

I have gone thorough nearly all similar posts and performed CTRL + Help optimizations and some other setting sync changes as suggested by other users. Nothing helped. Am wrong thinking this is what you get from EN eventually? 

As I am recent EN user with just 300 or so notes, is there a recent fix for this kind of issues I might not have seen? Is it best to migrate from Evernote before I have more notes than I can handle transferring other medium. 

Thank you 

• Level 5*

Hi.  I currently have 40,000 notes and a 19GB database so your 75MB is a tiny drop in the ocean.  It is a bad idea to work with very large notes - but not necessarily from Evernote's point of view.  The speed of your processor and installed memory,  and of your internet connection may also be relevant.

I now prefer to use the integration with Google Drive so I can keep large attached files elsewhere - my own comments and notes are generally rather short.  It's still possible to share a note containing links to the Drive-based files with others.

Also having all 15 files in one note and sharing that note with others may cause you,  and them, some issues - if two people want to look at different files in that list,  one of them may be blocked because the note is in use by another person,  even when the file in which they are interested is not.  It would be more efficient to have a separate note for each attached file.  If you wished to circulate a list of all the files,  you could create a table of contents note linking to all the notes with attached files.

4 hours ago, gazumped said:

I now prefer to use the integration with Google Drive so I can keep large attached files elsewhere - my own comments and notes are generally rather short.  It's still possible to share a note containing links to the Drive-based files with others.

Excellent idea. I just have to wait MS OneDrive to become similarly available. Though it is another subject, I cannot make any sense using google drive in EN. When I press google drive icon, all I get bunch of files that are not even in my google drive and a filtering system. 

4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Also having all 15 files in one note and sharing that note with others may cause you,  and them, some issues - if two people want to look at different files in that list,  one of them may be blocked because the note is in use by another person,  even when the file in which they are interested is not.  It would be more efficient to have a separate note for each attached file.  If you wished to circulate a list of all the files,  you could create a table of contents note linking to all the notes with attached files.

I think the issue stemming from using this many files in one note and I understand that instead of troubleshooting that I make my note more efficient by decreasing the amount of files. However, I still think just because we have a large note requiring above average process requirements, I should not have issues using rest of the EN.  I understand using this many file in one note is not a good idea after all. And table of content is the ideal way to handle multiple files in one note. 

I deleted that note after all and problem went away. Next time I will keep your advice in mind and I expect no issues. 

• 1 month later...

May I ask how everything held up?

I myself have large notes of a whole book in one note to make it easy and fast to search for specific points since they overlap each other (chemistry in this case). My note also contains a lot of images. My previous note on over +40 MB was so slow and the typing was "delayed", like stuttering. It would take a few seconds before input from my keyboard were registered in the note.

I have Evernote Premium.

Archived