Evernote for Mac 6.12.1 GA

Chantal Leonard

Idea

54 replies to this idea

On 9/10/2017 at 10:32 PM, pclafferty said:

what's happened to the notebooks layout that displayed them all in a button fashion in rows and columns? Now one long and unmanageable list?! Big step back, Evernote. Why do that?

The "new" scrolling list view for notebooks (and removing option to choose other display formats) is appalling and completely against all acceptable UX/UI standards.

Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 1.37.10 PM.png

4 hours ago, cameronreilly said:

I upgraded to the GA yesterday and I'm getting a ton of "conflicting changes" on notes I'm actively working on. This is appalling. 

This is one of my issues. It is quite dysfunctional. I'm working solely on the Mac desk-top version. Half-way through writing a simple note a conflicting note is created. Is this a problem in communication with the server? Or??? Over the course of a couple of hours of use I've had about 10 of them. The previous version had no such problems.

Please let us know this is an issue that is being addressed.  I cannot base my work-flow around  this sort of confusion.

Other issues include Evernote freezing and not responding to mouse clicks.  I can open the app but clicking on Stacks has no result.  

So.... I've only recently started using Evernote in a big way. Bought a premium account and taken the trouble to set up my folders in a well-organised fashion. A good tool is available and works when needed. This is not Evernote for me. Rather disappointed. I thought Evernote had risen above the issues of a few years back.

On 9/7/2017 at 5:27 AM, bambooparadox said:

How can i set those tables to 100% table-width again?

+1 for this question.  Does anyone know how we can assign 100% table-width so that it takes up the entire screen?

if this doesn't exist, it causes 2 problems for us:

1) tables to resize for different screens

2) every single table we create, we have to resize it to fit our needs and our content (it doesn't appear to size based on content either).

Hopefully, I'm just missing something.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, hazpoco said:

Does anyone know how we can assign 100% table-width so that it takes up the entire screen?

You might try editing the underlying html code
On Macs, we have access to the note's content.enml file; or you can export/import a .enex file
This is the current code for a 2x2 table; I'd have to look up the code for table style you want

<table style="border-collapse: collapse; min-width: 100%;"><colgroup><col style="width: 130px;"/><col style="width: 130px;"/></colgroup><tbody><tr><td style="border: 1px solid rgb(219, 219, 219); width: 130px; padding: 8px;"><div><br/></div></td><td style="border: 1px solid rgb(219, 219, 219); width: 130px; padding: 8px;"><div><br/></div></td></tr><tr><td style="border: 1px solid rgb(219, 219, 219); width: 130px; padding: 8px;"><div><br/></div></td><td style="border: 1px solid rgb(219, 219, 219); width: 130px; padding: 8px;"><div><br/></div></td></tr></tbody></table>

New version of Evernote with the 'new' tables don't print correctly. No matter how wide I make the table or if I print at <100%, it crops off the text in the box (see attached), the view on the Mac looks fine.

59b7a4e9bb8f9_ScreenShot2017-09-12at10_11_45am.jpg.b2631bf29197705a87a06a0d5705ae7e.jpg.7215c7e59ba331b820b2397a967e7d03.jpg

On 9/12/2017 at 3:53 AM, Dial said:

This is one of my issues. It is quite dysfunctional. I'm working solely on the Mac desk-top version. Half-way through writing a simple note a conflicting note is created. Is this a problem in communication with the server? Or??? Over the course of a couple of hours of use I've had about 10 of them. The previous version had no such problems.

I'm seeing this exact same problem.  Every few seconds/minutes of typing results in a conflict.  The "Sync" button is going nuts as I type.  It'll start and stop syncing multiple times as I'm typing.  My guess is that the timer that waits until you're done typing is off so it tries to sync multiple times as we're typing, thus causing the conflicts.  PLEASE fix this.  It makes the app work terribly.  

NOTE: I even changed the Preferences > Sync option to "Manually" to stop these bizarre conflicts and it still tries to synchronize messages automatically.  

On 9/10/2017 at 11:32 PM, pclafferty said:

what's happened to the notebooks layout that displayed them all in a button fashion in rows and columns? Now one long and unmanageable list?! Big step back, Evernote. Why do that?

Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 1.37.10 PM.png

I agree. I'm really bummed about the notebook view. Could we have the old style back as one potential view or "sort." The other was more helpful for seeing all notebooks at once.

Like other users I'm disappointed with the limitations on how I can view notebooks. Having to scroll to use them is just not efficient. Really seems like a step backwards to have list form instead of something more visual. 

• Level 5*
On 9/18/2017 at 8:31 AM, msullivan574 said:

Bring back the tile layout for notebooks! These lists are IMPOSSIBLE to manage!

It is funny how people have strong preferences. I quit using Evernote on the iPad a few years ago because they got rid of list view and replaced it with a pile of post it note squares all over my screen. They brought back lists quickly when we all got out our torches and pitchforks.

Love the list. Hate the tiles!

THE LIST VIEW IS TOTAL NONSENSE - why do i need a computer if im forced to work as if im in front of a piece of paper. 

users seems generally to enjoy having OVERVIEWS OF ALL THEIR NOTES (in a way they could not possibly do in paper notes) and the new version just destroyed this great quality.

i wonder if these developers use evernote how they cannot imagine this as valuable user experience.

CAN YOU PLEASE BRING BACK THE OPTIONS WITH TILES ASAP??????? i personally cannot work with evernote in this way.

Hi Evernote,

I was just told by your expert that the atlas feature has now been removed and the clunky note view is "how evernote now wants you to interact with your data". As much as I respect your point of view, I feel I know better how I want to interact with my data and it isn't a long list of bland notes with inefficient use of margin space.

But to get to the actual serious issue. I travel constantly and have YEARs of location specific notes for the purpose of accessing them BY LOCATION. That feature is removed. There are months of work in there and it will take me a few weeks (full-time) to reproduce the structure I've created in a different service. It may come as a surprise to you that some people use Evernote for work, but we do and when you remove a feature without a warning, you actually put our income and credibility in jeopardy, as I have experienced today with a client. 

I've already contacted you directly for legal compensation, but I'm logging this here as a request to please bring back the features I rely on in my daily work.

• Level 5*
On 10/16/2017 at 2:09 AM, XLII said:

I've already contacted you directly for legal compensation,

LOL! You should read the "Rights to modify service" section of the Evernote TOS that you agreed to when you signed up. 

Especially that paragraph that can be summed up "You agree not to hold us liable for anything. Ever."

• Level 5*
On 2017-09-05 at 11:51 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

Folks - we've releasing an update to Mac 6.12

Bug Report: I seem to have lost the Copy Classic Note Link
This used to be accessed  by pressing the option key when selecting Copy Note Link

Edited:   command-option works

Chantal,

I am very glad to hear that an update has been released.  Evernote became unusable for me on MAC since the initial 6.12 update (unable to open previous notes, crashes...)  With that said, it appears the default Notebook view has changed from a Grid of Notebook cards to a simple list.  I have been unsuccessful in either finding how to switch back to the former view or any discussions on this topic in the forums.  Can you provide any insight into this issue?   Thanks.

Note: I see that my profile has Windows 10, that is one of my platforms, but this note is related to MAC

/ Ed

Update:

I just found the thread on this issue and see that this view is be design and the Evernote team has removed the old view.  I will continue this feedback on the appropriate thread.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, janer said:

I upgraded to 6.12.1 this morning at 9:12am and now it's 11:42 am and it's still migrating notes. Should I force quite? The app is unusable while it's migrating. 

Upgraded from what version; 6.12  > 6.12.1 did not require any notes conversion

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Upgraded from what version; 6.12  > 6.12.1 did not require any notes conversion

Whatever the previous version was. Now I'm concerned if you're saying notes didn't convert from 6.12 to 6.12.1...

Hey there,

With the latest Beta Version 6.12.1 (455453 Direkt) I always get a short Popup when closing Evernote that is waiting until sync is finished. Even when it is already finished before. I didn't notice that in the previous versions.

4 hours ago, janer said:

I upgraded to 6.12.1 this morning at 9:12am and now it's 11:42 am and it's still migrating notes. Should I force quite? The app is unusable while it's migrating. 

Hi,
We're currently investigating this issue. Force quitting the app and reopening shouldn't cause any problems. 

Hi

I updated from 6.11.1 to 6.12.1 today.

New Tables look great, when i comes to rearranging columns and rows - this is a huge step forward ?

But there is a big step back for me, when i look at the table-width!
As i see it, 6.12.1 has removed all my previous 100% table-width by a fixed table-width ☹️
When i take my Macbook Pro on the road and my 27" external Screen is no longer available, i have to horizontally scroll all those many tables.

How can i set those tables to 100% table-width again?

• Level 5*
On 9/8/2017 at 6:22 AM, bc91404 said:

Where can I find the release notes for 6.12.1?

Release notes are at the top of this discussion.  This release was just a quick patch to fix a quiting-abort bug in v6.12

On 9/6/2017 at 7:51 AM, Chantal Leonard said:

Folks - we've releasing an update to Mac 6.12 with a fix for a persistent crash some users are seeing on quit. It's now available on the App Store or download it here. The link on the evernote.com website should be updated in the next day or so. 

Thanks, 

Chantal and the rest of the Mac team 

Hi,

I updated to 6.12.1 today and now the text encoding goes weird when I copy from Evernote to Microsoft Word for Mac. 

For example, smart quotes look like this when copied: â€œQuoteâ€

But if I write new text in Evernote and then copy it, it copies fine. It is only for text written before the upgrade. 

Can you advise me how to proceed?

Many thanks! 

I do NOT like the functionality or the appearance of the new 6.12.1. The notebooks used to stack in columns and I could see them all at a glance.  Now I have to scroll to see them.  

And all of the wasted space running horizontally across the page for each notebook... What was the thinking behind that? 

And whoever chose the new color scheme doesn't understand color value. Pale gray against pale taupe? The notebooks are hardly visible against the pale background. At least you left the notes white so they stand out. 

I rue the fact that I upgraded EN. 

I really like this app, less today than earlier this morning, but I still like it. But why do you mess with what's already working? If this had been an improvement, Kudos! But no kudos for this upgrade. 

The new view of notebooks sucks. It's clunky and all the stacks barf out their subnotebooks as a long scrollable list. I thought it was a bug and reported it and some dude you call "expert" said it's a feature, not a bug. So what gives? Why limit the way I interact with my data? Why can't I go back to the tile view? Why only one option, it's not like I'm asking to alter the underlying notes or notebook stacks, I just want a tile view to quickly glance over my stacks. 

Now that YouTube has finished rolling out their new layout and updated logo, will Evernote be able to save videos again soon? The "YouTube Video" option doesn't appear in the Clipper's list and none of the options presented seems to recognize that there's a video to include.

• Level 5*
On 9/8/2017 at 1:14 PM, DTLow said:

Bug Report: I seem to have lost the Copy Classic Note Link
This used to be accessed  by pressing the option key when selecting Copy Note Link

Edited:   command-option works

I just get the standard www.evernote.com/shard.... link, not the classic internal link.I don't know why they like this web url link. All it does is make us more dependent on the service. Last time EN was under a DDOS attack, not only could we not get to our data, we couldn't click on links in our notes to other notes because their server was overloaded.

The only reason I can think of for this type of link is they can track note usage.

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

How do you get these?

In 6.11.1, I see only two choices in the context menu.

I'm able to get three types of links

Public Browserhttps://www.evernote.com/l/AAqzCIsJfsRJ2JHXwtZ36lUg5B3_4L-uGdo59b4c8a2836b9_ScreenShot2017-09-09at22_03_59.png.95aa3b1e864d4014b596b03cc02ec6ee.png

Right clicking on a note for the context menu
          More Sharing > Copy Public Link

Private Browser https://www.evernote.com/shard/s10/nl/1156250/b3088b09-7ec4-49d8-91d7-c2d677ea5520/ 59b4c99c45a97_ScreenShot2017-09-09at22_04_21.png.5d6fdd2d3b4c813e3eb1b826fba80aca.png

Copy Note Link

This link is dual purpose;

• Classic In-App link when pasted within Evernote
  • Private Browser with pasted outside Evernote

Classic In-apt     evernote:///view/1156250/s10/b3088b09-7ec4-49d8-91d7-c2d677ea5520/b3088b09-7ec4-49d8-91d7-c2d677ea5520/59b4ca5b31ac4_ScreenShot2017-09-09at22_06_21.png.17d7bf2a35d7ff12ed02d30a63b1e850.png

Copy Note Link while pressing Option or Command-Option

Archived