white

notebook layout

Idea

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!

This issue has still not been fixed!?!?!!!!! 

Has anyone known of these forums actually promoting a positive response from Evernote, or any response for that matter? Or is this platform a way of Evernote fobbing off its paying customers off, due to its lack of actual support?

6 pages of outraged customers and no response......Evernote doesn't give a flying F*@K about us.

I wonder who is behind the new layout, this is so bad, I'm now looking for an alternate solution. I'm not sure the reason behind not having the grid view.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2017 at 10:37 PM, DTLow said:

How do design changes become "lack of respect"
Does this also mean the other many design changes also "show lack of respect"

Lack of notification?  We had to ask about the missing option to find out it was a design change

For example. Say you are driving a FORD Explorer and you take it in for a tuneup to Ford Service. When you get it back, FORD management decided to remove the gas peddle. They tell you that you now have to push your car and jump in and steer when it reached proper velocity. Oh " but I needed the gas peddle to make my car accelerate".  "Well too bad Mr. Consumer - you now have to push your car" says FORD management. We decided you no longer need your accelerator. I would say that is pretty damn disrespectful to you as a customer. I don't want to be notified - what I want is to leave my ***** alone. You can add but never, NEVER, take stuff away that you've given. A major rule in keeping a customer happy. Or anyone for that matter.

• Like 1

I consider Grid view as ABSOLUTELY essential to working with Evernote. Is that too much of a stretch for you?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, petraquilitz said:

Same here, long time, dedicated, paying Evernote user and super disappinted about the new notebook view for all the reason people have described here in detail. Very unfortunate if something like this is done without "manners" (user testing, giving choices to go back, informing about this change ahead of time etc) Seems like trouble is ahead with this company. Have started to check out Zoho Notebook to use it in parallel for a while, as an exit strategy. I' so loayal to Evernote, it will break my little digital heart if I have to leave, but what can you do if the dark side takes over. 

So far I've got 100+ notebooks in ZoHo. I'm crossing my fingers and toes that they will add functionality at a more rapid pace. There's a lot still missing with this software, like export, sorting (on the desktop version). I jump between the web, iOS and desktop versions depending on what I need to do.  I'm just so addicted to the aesthetics of the software, I've foolishly dove in and I'm not looking back.

On 1/4/2018 at 8:14 AM, Robbin_G said:

This was the response I received from support:

I responded with, OK so ADD that option, not take away options.  Whoever ASKED for a list view doesn't have over 100 notebooks spanning a decade as I do. 

I got the same lame response. It doesn't make any sense. WTF

I agree. The icon layout was MUCH easier to use. Why can't it be an option? We're paying good money for something I could probably just do in iCloud or Microsoft's cloud thing....so why give it LESS choices? That makes no sense.

• Like 1

Please Evernote....I am begging. At least allow the option for Notebook card view for the Mac on OS. I, and evidently many other users, prefer a more expansive desktop experience on our DESKTOP. I would fiercely plead this for both iPad & Mac----but if not for iPad (which has rendered my iPad Pro useless for creating notes, which is an unspeakable shame, since I'd love to have the option to create mobile, on-the-go notes----is this not what the makes of Evernote endeavored to achieve!?) but then at least for the desktop version of the app. Please. Do not remove this option from me entirely.  

I am begging. This has DRASTICALLY reduced my productivity. 

This is not merely a change for developers to argue, "it's a change, they'll get over it." In this case, "getting over it" would equate to having to resign oneself to a permanently lesser, sub-par, inferior user experience that is less effective, less productive & less easily-maneuvered for some. Have you not considered that assuming a "one-size-fits-all" approach, will exclude many!? There are many that have different manners of learning, understanding, & processing information visually--and to remove this feature is to be dismissive of that reality. 

Please. Allow the user-experience of Evernote to be pleasant for all, and not something to be fumbled over,  by those of us dismissed users, who unfortunately LOVE your app.

Please. The least you could do is allow us the "option."

I would be more than grateful to speak to someone at Evernote and offer a personal testimonial of my experience, as this issue is very important to me.

I offer my most sincere thanks for reading, and allowing me the opportunity to voice my complaints. 

Evernote price keeps going up but my satisfaction with it keeps going down. Maybe there are people out there that would like a user interface with nothing but a screen full of words-- no color, no icons, no lines, no boxes, just clean white space and words. I'm not one of them. I need icons, spatial organization, color, pictures. And, even though it might look hokey, I'll take ALL those good old skeuomorphic design elements back. The ones that have been swept away by, apparently, all the powers that be at Evernote, Apple, etc.

Please add me to the list of people requesting just the OPTION of displaying notebooks in a grid like we used to be able to.

1 minute ago, GoProBeta said:

I would not have upgraded.  As it stands, I will reconsider other options for me and my team.

One option would be to downgrade to a previous version.

• Like 4

On 9/25/2017 at 8:27 AM, DTLow said:

I’m sure Evernote has taken note of it and included it it prioritization for future development

Nope :(

Screen-Shot-2017-10-06-at-5_26.10-PM.jpg.266484835cfaabcf980385f8b595bd81.jpg

• Like 1

Perfect timing, the suggestion of ZOHO. My Evernote paid subscription ends in a few days and I'll be moving on. Any major layout change without notification/warning/option to change COMBINED WITH zero response to customer queries about future options to return to the old layout = not worth getting my $$.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, micheleley said:

Perfect timing, the suggestion of ZOHO. My Evernote paid subscription ends in a few days and I'll be moving on. Any major layout change without notification/warning/option to change COMBINED WITH zero response to customer queries about future options to return to the old layout = not worth getting my $$.

Agreed. Honestly the lack of response from customer support over this change is appalling. What's the point of a "feedback" forum if no one from the development team responds? 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2017 at 5:37 PM, SMX-CT said:

I have a big problem with this whole idea...

If I have to beg a software company to reinstate a feature that is critical to the user interface. And if the management of the software company is so utterly clueless that they remove critical aspects to the user interface. Then, folks, it is time to move on. That's exactly what I did and I'm not looking back. I switched to ZoHo Notebook after reviewing a few different software packages. I do not reward stupidity with loyalty. And over the years there have been several stupid changes to Evernote and quite frankly a clear and shameless disrespect to the user base. So to quote another dummy,  "Fool me once shame on you - fool me twice, can't get fooled again".  But that's another story. Good luck everyone!

Thanks for suggesting ZoHo - sounds like a great product. Maybe we need EverNote's arrogance to motivate us to move to another (better) product. And we save $50 yearly fee. AND we can import from Evernote! Bye Evernote Hello ZoHo!

• Like 1

On 2017-10-16 at 4:33 PM, janstet said:

Honestly the lack of response from customer support over this change is appalling

I am complete agree it is really a bad move from Evernote staff to remove gridview, it make no sense.
Where can I see the reaction from the staff, maybe they can explain why they have moved this feature away, maybe it is just a fault.

Please give us the freedom back, so we can make our own choice.

This first time in my life writing to this kind of forums, but it is such a shame to spoil a good APP  just like that.

Best regards from 

Michael Schilling

• Like 1

I'm gonna throw my vote in again - Please bring it back or make it a view option. 

• Like 1

Someone should really create a Change.org petition about this, i'll RT and share.

It would  improve life for many Evernote users, and impact global happiness in the world.

1 hour ago, Fab4real said:

Someone should really create a Change.org petition about this, i'll RT and share.

It would  improve life for many Evernote users, and impact global happiness in the world.

You could tweet to the CEO instead and ask him to wake up. He's obviously clueless or careless.

On 10/6/2017 at 9:13 PM, sublime said:

Nope :(

Screen-Shot-2017-10-06-at-5_26.10-PM.jpg.266484835cfaabcf980385f8b595bd81.jpg

TRUE! or you could just move on - like I did. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and luckily no green elephant.

This new view has serious ruined Evernote for me, and I am not being hyperbolic. I have started using Apple Notes... and I am a premium user on Evernote 

Hello, I am wondering what happened to the page where I can view my notebooks in a HORIZONTAL view? That was the BEST feature of Evernote and why I chose it over OneNote. I am an ADHD Coach and work with ADHD college clients and young adults. My clients and I rely on VISUAL organization (NOT TAGS)...which includes a Left-to-Right view AND/OR color differences. I do wish you had color capabilities with Notebooks BUT at a minimum PLEASE BRING BACK THE LEFT TO RIGHT FORMAT. In addition, it seems harder to move notebooks around to different stacks. Can you please bring that back as well? I really do NOT want to change back to One Note.

Anyone here used Milanote? I just heard about it, "Evernote for Creatives," it says, and it does look pretty cool. 

16 hours ago, LindaElle said:

Anyone here used Milanote? I just heard about it, "Evernote for Creatives," it says, and it does look pretty cool. 

Personally, my purpose in using Evernote is as a filing cabinet, and not so much for "Creative"

There's a review at https://www.pcmag.com/review/351632/milanote

930CC6A8-410B-4DF5-BA30-D9A1A5C4BF53.thumb.jpeg.9792a8e344789b6ee99c41c3818064c1.jpeg

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

There's a review at https://www.pcmag.com/review/351632/milanote

Personally, my purpose in using Evernote is as a filing cabinet, and not so much for "Creative"

Thanks for the link. The lack of a web clipper is a deal breaker for me. Zoho is still looking like my best alternative. 

I know I'm in the minority here but I just wanted to say that I like the list view, personally. I could see where an option might be helpful (old vs new).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, cmartin44 said:

I know I'm in the minority here but I just wanted to say that I like the list view, personally. I could see where an option might be helpful (old vs new).

That's not the point. List view was always available.

• Like 1

I can't believe this is even a thing - that the best notebook view isn't available anymore.  I absolutely can't stand scrolling through my notes.

All I want is the grid view of my notebooks again.  Just add the capability back as an option, that's all.

Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, westontsmith said:

I can't believe this is even a thing - that the best notebook view isn't available anymore.  I absolutely can't stand scrolling through my notes.

All I want is the grid view of my notebooks again.  Just add the capability back as an option, that's all.

Thanks!

Yeah - I mean it's surreal. WTF were they thinking? Well, I've moved on, I can't be around stupidity and the decision makers at Evernote are making really stupid choices and they don't seem to have any respect for the user. I had a fit a few years back when they took away the 3d notebook covers but gritted my teeth and dealt with it - but this is beyond that. I switched to ZoHo notebook but I just heard about another app called Milanote that I also want to check out. There are many options at this point and Evernote has jumped the shark. Sadly.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2017 at 9:17 AM, Fab4real said:

UGH, Why bother? There are many alternatives. Just move on - it ain't getting better. and they obviously don't care about you the user.

On 10/7/2017 at 9:50 AM, LindaElle said:

Thanks for that-- your comment inspired me to look into OneNote. This article is pretty convincing, even though the author chose to stay with Evernote for the time being. OneNote appears to offer all the key functionality of EN with the added very cool feature of converting handwriting to text. And yes, customizable grid notebooks. 

https://michaelhyatt.com/evernote-alternatives.html

The only real drawback I see is a problem with importing from EN, but It might be worth some extra work to get away from a platform that just pissing me off at this point. 

I just imported everything into ZoHo Notebook and it worked well enough. Plus I get to design my own notebook covers in photoshop and apply them to each notebook. It's still a young app and lacks several things but they are just starting out. I'm going to give them a shot. Good luck!

8 hours ago, SMX-CT said:

I just imported everything into ZoHo Notebook and it worked well enough. Plus I get to design my own notebook covers in photoshop and apply them to each notebook. It's still a young app and lacks several things but they are just starting out. I'm going to give them a shot. Good luck!

Were you able to do a multi-note import? I couldn't find a way to import more than one note at a time (though I didn't spend a lot of time investigating). Thanks again!

12 minutes ago, DTLow said:

It's very easy to export your notes from Evernote on the Win/Mac platforms.  I don't see an export option in Zoho Notebook which may be a problem in the future if you want to switch products

On a Mac, select the notes, then file > export; use the html format

On the Zoho Notebook side, use File > Import

Great! Thanks. :)

2 hours ago, LindaElle said:

Great! Thanks. :)

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

It's very easy to export your notes from Evernote on the Win/Mac platforms.  I don't see an export option in Zoho Notebook which may be a problem in the future if you want to switch products

On a Mac, select the notes in Evernote, then file > export; use the html format

In Zoho Notebook, use File > Import

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

On a Mac, select the notes in Evernote, then file > export; use the html format

In Zoho Notebook, use File > Import

That is a valid point. But like I said they are just starting out and I've been using them for about a month and so far so good for my needs. They do have an automated import that they sent me and the entire Evernote content was imported in one shot. I am concerned about the export - I'll need to find out about that.

5 hours ago, LindaElle said:

Were you able to do a multi-note import? I couldn't find a way to import more than one note at a time (though I didn't spend a lot of time investigating). Thanks again!

Yes - they sent me a link that did it automatically. My entire contents of Evernote in one shot. It did wipe out the dates and times of when each evernote was saved. So you lose that - not sure if it matters. It didn't for me.

6 hours ago, SMX-CT said:

Yes - they sent me a link that did it automatically. My entire contents of Evernote in one shot. It did wipe out the dates and times of when each evernote was saved. So you lose that - not sure if it matters. It didn't for me.

That's fantastic! Like you, I don't care about the date I saved the note. I just want to be able to work within a framework that doesn't make me angry every time I try to use it. 

3 hours ago, LindaElle said:

That's fantastic! Like you, I don't care about the date I saved the note. I just want to be able to work within a framework that doesn't make me angry every time I try to use it. 

Yeah - I love it. Still, needs a lot of work. Milanote looks good but it's $120/year. I do want to query NoHo about an important point that DTLow made. How do you export your materials. I don't want to invest a year into this thing and find I'm stuck on the platform without an exit strategy. In case they start charging high rate or decide to take Grid view away like our friends did here.

Guys,

believe it or not but because of this I have now finally moved to Onenote. Was about to become a paying Evernote user. Onenote is not perfect either but I can always tell myself that I am at least not paying for something that I am not really happy with.

Agree with the rest here. I couldn't believe that this actually was the only option after the upgrade and searched around to figure out how to change the setting. Evernote now is HARD to use, not efficient. 

I'm still in Evernote but I cancelled my subscription just because of this - trialing some other options.

I want to add a hearty "SECOND" to this motion! I came to this forum specifically to post this request and saw this post already addressed it. The new layout sucks and is driving me crazy. I already have a list view in my sidebar. Why in God's name would you force me to have the same exact layout in the main screen too? Bring back the boxes or tiles or whatever you call them! At the very least, give me the option of having it that way. In our modern world of advanced technology, there is no excuse for not at least giving me the option to see my notebooks the old way if I want to. That should be my choice. This new layout is a poor, poor idea by Evernote. Bring back the old view or give me the option to see it that way! 

Well done Evernote. People who need the grid view the most are people who have a lot of notebooks.

The grid view was the best way to quickly find a book without having to scroll a lot. 

Which means. most likely, the unhappy users are long term users, accumulating a lot of notes over time.

But also, it will be hard for these long time users like me to leave if they're not happy, as their data is stuck in here. 

It feels like a calculated risk on Evernote's part, to not care about these users needs, although it's hard to a see a worthwhile advantage of taking that risk. 

But if the focus is not on keeping loyal long term customers happy what is Evernote trying to do?

Is it all about acquiring new customers, who will never know or care about the grid view?

If so, what should the old timers do? 

1. Waste time posting on forums

2. Lookup this lifehacker post: How to Jump Ship From Evernote and Take Your Data With You 

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-jump-ship-from-evernote-and-take-your-data-with-1782841075

As soon as I can find some time now...

On 11/9/2017 at 7:54 PM, micheleley said:

I'm still in Evernote but I cancelled my subscription just because of this - trialing some other options.

I understand people have wishes for the software (we all do), but is really a subscription-cancelling level issue for you? I'm just curious because to me, while yes Evernote is imperfect, it is valuable service for me and I would not subscribe/cancel based on something like this. Are (were) you a paying customer? Legit curious why this is a dealbreaker.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cmartin44 said:

I understand people have wishes for the software (we all do), but is really a subscription-cancelling level issue for you? I'm just curious because to me, while yes Evernote is imperfect, it is valuable service for me and I would not subscribe/cancel based on something like this. Are (were) you a paying customer? Legit curious why this is a dealbreaker.  

If you're asking about the loss of grid view then definitely YES! It shows a lack of respect toward the user

28 minutes ago, SMX-CT said:

It shows a lack of respect toward the user

How do design changes become "lack of respect"
Does this also mean the other many design changes also "show lack of respect"

Lack of notification?  We had to ask about the missing option to find out it was a design change

21 hours ago, cmartin44 said:

I've previously had the experience with a software provider who refused to respond to user queries about whether or not they were planning to fix a product broken by an iOS update. This lack of communication shows me disrespect for users. I ended up feeling like a circus chump. This experience of what clearly is a major design change (based on the strength of response by the number of users taking time to write about this, which reflects my sense as well) with no communication to users about it before they downloaded the update, no communication about it since, makes me feel the company has the same customer service sensibility. This I don't respect. I didn't particularly need the paid benefits of Evernote, but will pay when a product is providing good service. I feel they betrayed that good service and thus I choose to quit paying for the subscription (which I did this month when it came due, and which I wouldn't have otherwise.)

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Personally, I would just delay implementing the software upgrade; or downgrade to a previous version
I'm not being forced to use this version

I would have had they clearly communicated what the upgrade included. I'm unwilling to pay to have to downgrade.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dinamande said:

Is it possible to downgrade to get the grid layout?

Yes, it's easy to switch to a different version

I can obtain the app version I need from my backups.  The application can also be obtained from Evernote.  Each release has a post with a link to the application; for example the v6.13 release post is linked below

My installation process is

• Completely remove Evernote; app, database, ...  The app AppCleaner is recommended for this
  • Install the Evernote app and the database will be rebuilt from the servers.  Warning: The rebuild does not include Local Notebooks or unsync'd notes

19 hours ago, llcamilo said:

I wonder who is behind the new layout, this is so bad, I'm now looking for an alternate solution. I'm not sure the reason behind not having the grid view.

I don't need any of the bells and whistles of Evernote. I'm a visual thinker so I've switched to ZoHo Notebook. Which is new and has yet to develop a lot of important and fundamental features that are painfully missing. But the visual aspect of it sold me so I've exported over to them. Crossing my fingers they will continue to refine it and add features. IE: Like export as an example. but I am done with Evernote for sure. Good luck.

I've been living with this new layout thinking I was doing something wrong. Today I decided to dive in and correct this pain in the patootie view, and alas, found this thread. Count me in. The notebook list is terrible. Why would this have been changed? I use Evernote for school and the notebook list means I can't see everything I need to, and organizing is difficult. I am not at the point where I'm considering moving but that may change once the new semester starts. I'll then look into some of the other tools others have mentioned. But please, Evernote, bring back the tiled view. 

I am due to renew my 9th year of Evernote premium. This single column view is going to make me use everything I can in my Google Suite instead of paying for this horrid layout. 

On 2018-01-03 at 12:26 PM, Robbin_G said:

use everything I can in my Google Suite instead of paying for this horrid layout. 

Please give us more details on how notebooks are displayed in the Google Suite

edit: Answering my own question, I did some research.  Google Docs doesn't use notebooks, but organizes by folders. There is a grid option5a4e46264fb54_ScreenShot2018-01-04at07_16_37.png.05525d741a22a637a379641636969f17.png

51 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Please give us more details on how notebooks are displayed in the Google Suite

If I'm going to fight with a list view, I'm going to do it for free, not $69 a year. 

57 minutes ago, Robbin_G said:

I am due to renew my 9th year of Evernote premium. This single column view is going to make me use everything I can in my Google Suite instead of paying for this horrid layout. 

I've just downgraded to 6.11. Lets see how long it takes before something breaks from age!

10 minutes ago, SMX-CT said:

FORD management decided to remove the gas peddle

So you equate the notebook grid with a gas pedal on your car

3 hours ago, Evernote User 88 said:

Please Evernote....I am begging. At least allow the option for Notebook card view for the Mac on OS. I, and evidently many other users, prefer a more expansive desktop experience on our DESKTOP. I would fiercely plead this for both iPad & Mac----but if not for iPad (which has rendered my iPad Pro useless for creating notes, which is an unspeakable shame, since I'd love to have the option to create mobile, on-the-go notes----is this not what the makes of Evernote endeavored to achieve!?) but then at least for the desktop version of the app. Please. Do not remove this option from me entirely.  

I am begging. This has DRASTICALLY reduced my productivity. 

This is not merely a change for developers to argue, "it's a change, they'll get over it." In this case, "getting over it" would equate to having to resign oneself to a permanently lesser, sub-par, inferior user experience that is less effective, less productive & less easily-maneuvered for some. Have you not considered that assuming a "one-size-fits-all" approach, will exclude many!? There are many that have different manners of learning, understanding, & processing information visually--and to remove this feature is to be dismissive of that reality. 

Please. Allow the user-experience of Evernote to be pleasant for all, and not something to be fumbled over,  by those of us dismissed users, who unfortunately LOVE your app.

Please. The least you could do is allow us the "option."

I would be more than grateful to speak to someone at Evernote and offer a personal testimonial of my experience, as this issue is very important to me.

I offer my most sincere thanks for reading, and allowing me the opportunity to voice my complaints. 

Stop begging. They won't listen. Do yourself a favor and switch over to ZoHo Notebook or some other platform. You'll be glad you did. Look how beautiful ZoHo is (see screen capture attached)

Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 11.10.31 AM.png

On 9/21/2017 at 2:12 PM, Seawolf said:

Yeah. I opened my Evernote today at the start of an important meeting and l looked like a chump. I was totally sideswiped. I'm not normally someone who hates on change for change sake but one of the reasons I was happy to take the plunge for a premium account is that the grid (mini notebook) layout is better for me as a spatial reasoning person. 

The thing that I enjoyed most about this product was that whoever the original designers were seemed to really think like me. It was hyper-intuitive. This is really clunky and off putting. I LOVE the product. You are a major part of my personal life and my business. I guess this is why it feels like such a huge deal to me. Betrayal is a strong word....butima use it. 

PLEASE PLEASE BRING BACK THE BOOK LAYOUT

How's this for Spatial reasoning (screen cap). That's ZoHo Notebook. Beautiful and you can create your own notebook covers.

Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 11.10.31 AM.png

1 hour ago, SMX-CT said:

Do yourself a favor and switch over to ZoHo Notebook or some other platform. You'll be glad you did. Look how beautiful ZoHo is (see screen capture attached)

Generally, this seems to be much prettier than Evernote, and I agree it's notebook icons are more beautiful than Evernote ever had (we could never use custom covers)

Beyond notebook covers, can you comment on ZoHo regarding the other features delivered by Evernote.
I need more than beautiful notebook icons before I decide to switch.

From what I can tell, Evernote just doesn't care what we think, they just make "genius" design changes based on the way "they like it".We are only numbers to them, since not enough people complain, "who cares"!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Generally, this seems to be much prettier than Evernote, and I agree it's notebook icons are more beautiful than Evernote ever had (w could never use custom covers)

Beyond notebook covers, do you recommend ZoHo based on the other features delivered by Evernote.
I need more than beautiful notebook icons before I decide to switch.

I've been on their forums and communicating with them. They are determined to be the go-to replacement for Evernote. They are slowly but surely adding functionalities to all of their apps and software across the web, Mac platform, iOS and I believe PC. But the key thing is that they have Grid/Notebook view which trumps everything Evernote has, especially if you have dozens of notebooks that you can't see in Grid view. Evernote could have the greatest functionality - but if you can't navigate in grid view well then who cares?

Wow, I'm surprised that people here find having another screen to click into for viewing notebooks useful whatsoever. Everything is in the left menu already.

My complaint is the fact that you can't edit/organize the notebooks in the left menu instead of having to click into a redundant screen.

12 minutes ago, Neil Rutledge said:

My complaint is the fact that you can't edit/organize the notebooks in the left menu instead of having to click into a redundant screen.

The Mac sidebar list has limited functions.  I think the Windows sidebar is  more complete.

I'm ok with using the notebook/tag pages for these functions; it's not something I do on a day-to-day basis.  In fact, I rarely have the lists displayed.

2 hours ago, LBSGuy said:

Evernote price keeps going up

Welcome to the discussion

The Basic account continues to be free.  The software continues to be free.

>>my satisfaction with it keeps going down

Is there a reason you're using this version of the software.  It seems you'd be happier with the version displaying the notebooks in a grid layout.

See the post from this user who downgraded versions https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/112106-downgrading-evernote-to-v6111/?do=findComment&comment=498900

>>Please add me to the list

Voting buttons are at the top left corner of the discussion.

Please bring Notebook layout back! Just made some updates on my Mac and feel now so sorry to have this boring layout of notebook instead of my folders organised with photos as logo. PLease consider my request!

Probably safe to assume by now that EN hasn't been persuaded to include a grid view as it moves along.

Turns out I've had OneNote all this time, having paid for the Office 365 suite. I've started to use it; not enough data to make a full judgment yet.

From what I've read online, the last hump is upgrading their web clipper so it has the functionality inherent in the EN version. Can't imagine that will be an issue forever.

But yes, for us right-brained folk, the visual will always be easier and more intuitive, so for me it's the better choice for now. It's too bad; I'm one of those folks who finds a good brand and stays with it, so migrating off EN is (perhaps illogically) sad for me.

On 4/15/2018 at 11:45 AM, Lola Blue Mae said:

Probably safe to assume by now that EN hasn't been persuaded to include a grid view as it moves along.

Turns out I've had OneNote all this time, having paid for the Office 365 suite. I've started to use it; not enough data to make a full judgment yet.

From what I've read online, the last hump is upgrading their web clipper so it has the functionality inherent in the EN version. Can't imagine that will be an issue forever.

But yes, for us right-brained folk, the visual will always be easier and more intuitive, so for me it's the better choice for now. It's too bad; I'm one of those folks who finds a good brand and stays with it, so migrating off EN is (perhaps illogically) sad for me.

Some time ago, I made the decision to abandon the Evernote product due to the grid change and lack of Evernote response.  I moved to Onenote, and was quite happy until I realized that there is no offline access to the information if you are on a Mac.  It appears this has been a significant user complaint for a couple of years.   While the migration from Evernote to OneNote was pretty simple, the lack of offline access was a non starter.   As such, I've now taken the recommendation from a few folks on this blog and installed Zoho.  Thus far, I am very impressed.  The migration was turn-key, the notebook view is fantastic and overall User Interface is very good.  I've been on it for about 2 weeks.   I'll post back here if there are any major concerns.   I will tell you that unlike Evernote and Onenote, Zoho does not have a Windows client.  Notes can be accessed via a browser on Windows clients and as such, I'm good for now.

Thank you! Good data to have. So far, the limited time I have to devote to OneNote has kept me from making a firm decision. I'm certainly hearing fabulous things about Zoho, though.

On 4/17/2018 at 12:36 PM, GoProBeta said:

I've now taken the recommendation from a few folks on this blog and installed Zoho.  Thus far, I am very impressed.  The migration was turn-key, the notebook view is fantastic and overall User Interface is very good.  I've been on it for about 2 weeks. 

In part because of this comment, GPB, I decided to check out Notebook before I got too settled in to OneNote. WOW. Exactly what I was looking for. What a thing of beauty, in so many senses.

I'm keeping my collaborative work stuff on Evernote, and moving all my personal/family stuff over to Notebook. By reducing the number of notebooks on EN to the bare minimum, I can live with the non-grid view. Besides, I don't want to force our team to another system, at least for now.

But for anyone who works more in visual spaces and is more at home in an intuitive mode, Notebook is a home run. Again: WOW.

On 9/9/2017 at 3:03 PM, LiJu said:

This change really sucks for visual thinkers who see things in 2 or 3 dimensions!  The old Notebook icon layout allowed me to find things by their location and not necessarily by the title.  It gave me a quick visual overview of all my notebooks in just a few scrolls.  Now, I am forced to think of the title first in order to find it.  I then have to scroll endlessly (which is terribly distracting when you have something on your mind that you want to get down).  Most times I have to scroll back up since I missed what I was looking for.  The old Notebook icon was more efficient since it's layout was not only up and down but also left to right.  This shortens considerably the time it takes to find a Notebook.

Now I have to rethink the titles of some notebooks in order to better organize some frequently used Notebooks to the TOP (the TOP now being significantly less!).  I had to get use to  this change on the iPad (which I hated and still do) but my use of the iPad is different since I use it to find notes more than compose notes, therefore, the distraction of endless scrolling was less of an issue.  I use Evernote on my Mac to compose notes where I am thinking, researching and problem solving.  The scrolling on the Mac version becomes a detriment to fluid thinking.  This change has really affected how I "see" my Notebooks and most likely it will affect my productivity immensely.

Like White said above, let your users choose!!!

I agree fully. Great observation

It's pretty radical that an application that started, and gained its popularity and growth, as visual-first would suddenly change.  I'm a Premium subscription owner and have been on Evernote since 2008.  This is incredibly disappointing.  I get that tough choices need to be made to move things ahead (all Apple users/buyers grapple with this!) and I strive to greet updates and changes with a pretty relaxed attitude.  But the visual-first organization of the UX is a fundamental part of why certain people would choose Evernote in the first place.  My husband and I both are Premium members and I'm going to start looking for an alternative to Evernote.  It's a huge pain in the butt - especially with 10 years of material filed away into Evernote - but it doesn't make sense to keep paying so much for a flawed design that isn't working well for us anymore.  

Also - it's a great reminder to be cautious about recommending paid apps to friends or family.  I've relentlessly talked people into purchasing Evernote.  I feel silly now.

15 hours ago, Kristina108 said:

It's pretty radical that an application that started, and gained its popularity and growth, as visual-first would suddenly change.  ....

Also - it's a great reminder to be cautious about recommending paid apps to friends or family.  I've relentlessly talked people into purchasing Evernote.  I feel silly now.

These things, yes. I can adapt to changes. I am infinitely less likely to accept being disregarded and disrespected, and that's how this (non-communicative) process has made me feel. The problem is that most decision-makers who act in disrespectful ways aren't able to learn from feedback such as this.

I, too, feel badly for having recommended Evernote to people.

15 hours ago, Kristina108 said:

It's pretty radical that an application that started, and gained its popularity and growth, as visual-first would suddenly change.  I'm a Premium subscription owner and have been on Evernote since 2008.  This is incredibly disappointing.  I get that tough choices need to be made to move things ahead (all Apple users/buyers grapple with this!) and I strive to greet updates and changes with a pretty relaxed attitude.  But the visual-first organization of the UX is a fundamental part of why certain people would choose Evernote in the first place.  My husband and I both are Premium members and I'm going to start looking for an alternative to Evernote.  It's a huge pain in the butt - especially with 10 years of material filed away into Evernote - but it doesn't make sense to keep paying so much for a flawed design that isn't working well for us anymore.  

I too was "all about" Evernote. I convinced my wife to use it and basically was a big fan of Evernote, once I fully understood what the potential was. I too was a premium member.  It pained me when they went to Flat Design and lost the cool notebook feel - but I soldiered on and kept using it building my research/resource notebooks for both personal and business usage. 

But when they pulled this last trick it was beyond anything I could get over. But the utter disrespect to the user base was what really irked me. I tried a few products including Bear, MS OneNote, and Google Notebook. But none of them had that special something. That is until I ran across ZoHo Notebook by accident. It's not as mature as Evernote and is missing some functionality, but it's a young product and growing. They are very responsive on the ZoHo Forum and they are determined to be the Evernote replacement at some point. But what sold me, being a visual thinker, is the beauty of the product.

I've exported my stuff over and haven't looked back. Good luck to you, I feel your pain.

Notebook really is lovely! I feel like I'm working on the proper side of my brain again. ?

I'm still paying for Evernote because my team is established here. As soon as Notebook has more or less caught up with EN, we'll all move over there.

The lack of response really is sad, but you can't make a company what it's not. I vote with my dollars - always have, always will.

4 minutes ago, Lola Blue Mae said:

Notebook really is lovely! I feel like I'm working on the proper side of my brain again. ?

I'm still paying for Evernote because my team is established here. As soon as Notebook has more or less caught up with EN, we'll all move over there.

The lack of response really is sad, but you can't make a company what it's not. I vote with my dollars - always have, always will.

I agree. I go back and forth and just hope, hope, hope that the team at Evernote are listening! They need to up their game make this a more user-friendly, color coded, vertical and horizontal platform (like it used to be). Why is that so difficult? They did it before and stopped using their own fabulous functions. Oh well. Back to OneNote. 

I agree! The icon view for notebooks works much, much better for me! Please bring this option back!

18 hours ago, IaDave said:

I agree! The icon view for notebooks works much, much better for me! Please bring this option back!

iaDave - Don't hold your breath on that request. Chances are that will never happen. Many of us have moved on to OneNote, Bear or my favorite so far, ZoHo Notebook. Evernote is a "has been" piece of software and in my humble opinion,  much better apps are on the market to replace Evernote. Good luck!

Agreed. You need to provide options when you change something so significant as a major layout feature. Let us choose between LIST and ICON views, same as any other OS layout. Thanks! Hope you guys will take note of all this feedback for future versions. 

Same with myself, I have kept five years of Fine Art degree notes in Evernote, was about to demonstrate it to undergraduate students where I work as an option for their portfolios and am left with the list view. Suited to business apps perhaps but not the visual community who have used Evernote for THAT REASON. Have been looking at Bear as an option. If you could make the changes to keep the Thumbnail views that would be preferred, but otherwise ... paaaah. https://bear.app/faq/Import & export/Migrate from Evernote/

20 minutes ago, jrzap said:

I will be moving to another platform.

Good bye,  Good Luck 

Please let us know what platform you picked

35 minutes ago, SMX-CT said:

I consider Grid view as ABSOLUTELY essential to working with Evernote. Is that too much of a stretch for you?

Less stretch than the gas pedal.  Not "ABSOLUTELY essential" for me (7 notebooks), but different strokes ...

fwiw  This was posted in the Customized Notebook discussion and provides a grid layout

2 minutes ago, tatum said:

I may see if I can download an older version

That seems like a good solution; I've had no problems downgrading to previous versions

You have to pick which features are the most important to you

13 minutes ago, jrzap said:

since not enough people complain, "who cares"

Users can use this forum/discussion to complain about the notebook layout.
Even better, add your vote the the request, using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion.

The user vote is one of the factors Evernote uses in identifying priority for development.
This request is at   5a8dabb462e73_ScreenShot2018-02-21at09_25_51.png.d2034788c063ae5fd4579d2681edd586.png   votes

On 2018-03-09 at 7:22 PM, Ignacy said:

Damn you Evernote team!

2 hours ago, Ignacy said:

BUMP!

2 hours ago, Ignacy said:

BUMP!

You're using the software provided by Evernote at no charge.  
You  are welcome to select the version of the software you want installed.

You're posting in the forums provided by Evernote at no charge.

You are welcome to add  your vote to the feature request using the voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion.

• Haha 1

On 2017-09-27 at 1:14 PM, Allias Montoi said:

i see there are only 51 votes at the time of writing - we need to make some more noise...   Take to Twitter?  Facebook?  The streets?

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/in-assam-women-shave-their-heads-in-protest-against-government-1745069

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-immolation_protests_by_Tibetans_in_China

Serious issues require a serious response

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2