Search within tags does not work

I'm quite sure this worked earlier; in the windows client.

In the left panel select a tag, and then in the search notes(over the list of notes, enter a word to search for, and then as a result only get the notes with that tag, that is included in the result of the search, in stead it seems to list just the result of the search(so not using the tag as a search-pattern.)

• Level 5

I just tried it and found that it works for me, exactly as you described. How long has it been not working? Problems like this in the Windows client can often be fixed by fully exiting the program (File > Exit, not just the red X box, which only closes the interface) and then restarting.

• Level 5*

This seems to be working correctly for me in the latest beta, version 6.7.3.5682.

Select a tag from the left panel. Type in some text in the search box, the tag context is retained. In the Windows client, to see what's going on, you should usually keep the search information sub-panel open (View / Search Information). That's how I can tell that the tag is being used in my search.

Note that normal text searches will attempt to match in tags (and note titles and OCR results) in addition to note content. But Search Information will tell you what the actual search is doing.

Thanks for getting back to me guys.. not certain when I noticed this behavior the first time.. I thinks its quite a while ago.

For me, parts of the result is notes that does not have the tag that I've highlighted, see screenshot below:

Here I select a tag called Veeam-BR, and in the result there is multiple notes with DataDomain tag (and not Veeam-BR or any of its sub-tags)

I'm running the current release for windows.6.5.4.4.4720.

A

Evernote-search.PNG

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, athome said:

For me, parts of the result is notes that does not have the tag that I've highlighted, see screenshot below:

The Any in the search is finding notes that contain the tag and notes that contain the text.  Change the Any in the search information box to All in the drop-down if you want to search for the text only in notes with the tag.  

Also, the current public release is 6.6.4.5512, FYI.

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, csihilling said:

The Any in the search is finding notes that contain the tag and notes that contain the text.

And that's almost certainly coming from the Tools / Options / Navigation / "Automatically select child tags" setting being enabled. Also, a text search for "datadomain" will match on a note that has is tagged with "Datadomain". Because of the "Any:" modifier, any note that has a tag "Datadoman", or has "datadomain" in the title or note content gets added to the search results.

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, athome said:

Great guys.. thank you, so either its the use of child tags or evernote has changed from all to any as default for this kind of search.

Probably the former.  Try it with a not parent tag and see what happens.

• Level 5*

'any:' searches are not the default. Normal search strategy is to narrow down the scope of your search, not widen it, as 'any:' does.

Try disabling the child tag search option and retest your search.

It's unfortunate that the search language doesn't allow users to specify the child-tag setting directly in a search, rather than as a global option in the Windows client. The way that they do it is sort of a hack: if your search contains parent tags, then the Windows client just turns your search into an any: search, and adds all of the subtags to it, then submits that as the actual search. This isn't really useful unless you maintain assiduous control over your tag hierarchies, which I don't bother with all that much.

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, jefito said:

This isn't really useful unless you maintain assiduous control over your tag hierarchies, which I don't bother with all that much.

IMHO, the parent/child search is of use for just that.  The search becomes ANY at that point which does not help hone results.

To me, a parent/child search has value if you can AND it with something else (Boolean I know).  Which is why when the option first appeared it was kind of, well, ho-hum.  No doubt based upon my use case in that I use tag nesting for organizing tags not creating hierarchies.

Archived