adeyemob

"Notebooks" multi-column view changed to single-column view

Idea

Hello,

With the current update to version 6.12 on macOS, the standard multi-column view has been changed to single-column. Is there a way to change this back please? When one has a lot of notebooks or stacks, its very unwieldy to try and scan for folders by scrolling though a single column that takes up the entire width of the application window.

Thanks. 

Tunde

single column view v6.12.png

• Like 7

38 replies to this idea

Thanks for the responses guys. 

Please bring back the grid/multicolumn feature of v6.11. It was very useful to quickly see all the notebooks in one shot/view. Having this list view "feature" is unfortunately not as useful :-/

If requests are really high for a list view "feature",  maybe it could be added on as an view option,  depending on how difficult it is to implement... 

• Like 3

The grid view allows a much better overview of all the stacks and notebooks, please bring it back! Scrolling does just the opposite...takes more time and removes the possibility of having an overview...a strange move for a productivity software...

• Like 3

Another vote from me to bring back the grid view - this long scrolling single column is very frustrating, far less elegant and not as efficient.

If developers have to constantly iterate the UI, please give us the option to change the view to how we've become accustomed. I use Evernote constantly all day and its consistency is key to its ease of use. I don't want to have to relearn a UI just because a developer has become bored with what works.

• Like 2

Please bring this feature back. It is almost impossible to navigate through a large collection of notebooks with the single-column view.

• Like 2

Totally agree with others. Very frustrated with this feature change! I don't understand why Evernote would reduce features, rather than add...?

• Like 2

Completely crazy move to get rid of the grid view. I've used Evernote for a long time and have 100 notebooks and this change is almost like downgrading from Windows (or MacOS) to green screen technology.

• Like 1

Another vote to bring back the grid, please.   Single column does not work with many notebooks as others stated.   

Who asked for this?   

• Like 2

Hi @adeyemob,

Welcome to the forums. The grid layout for the notebook view in Evernote Mac was removed with the 6.12 update. I've moved this thread to the Mac Product Feedback forum as a feature request.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

• Like 5

On 2017-09-02 at 7:00 PM, adeyemob said:

Is there a way to change this back please? When one has a lot of notebooks or stacks, its very unwieldy to try and scan for folders by scrolling though a single column that takes up the entire width of the application window.

The notebook list is a "feature" of v6.12

You have the option of reverting to v6.11 which has the grid layout

• Like 1

Please give us a view option for either grid or list view with our Notebooks, instead of forcing us to use the new list view. If you have a ton of notebooks, list view can be more cumbersome.  

• Like 3

Fully agree with this. I use the notebook feature a lot and having all of my notebooks in a single list is cumbersome and difficult to navigate. I don't understand why this feature was removed for the new update but regardless of the reason, please bring it back. 

• Like 1

Another vote to bring the grid layout back. Having one long list of notebooks adds friction to my workflow.

• Like 1

Just to cover the basics, there is a Stacks feature to simplify the list view59b35c0628967_ScreenShot2017-09-08at20_07_19.png.194e457ce7bf8181d8570091e6f0311a.png

I find it easier to look at the high level entries before drilling down

The stacks feature is great for a simplified view, but what happens when there are 20+ notebooks within one stack? Before you could expand a stack and see all of the notebooks at a glance. Now you have to scroll down to see all of the notebooks within a single stack. It adds friction for those users with large stacks. At least before there was an option to turn off the list view for those users who preferred the grid layout.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2017 at 7:00 PM, adeyemob said:

Hello,

With the current update to version 6.12 on macOS, the standard multi-column view has been changed to single-column. Is there a way to change this back please? When one has a lot of notebooks or stacks, its very unwieldy to try and scan for folders by scrolling though a single column that takes up the entire width of the application window.

Thanks. 

Tunde

you can vote to bring back the old view

• Like 1

With 137 notebooks, the single list view (even with multiple stacks) is not practical for my usage. 

Why remove the multiple view feature?

• Like 2

On 2017-09-02 at 7:00 PM, adeyemob said:

There's the option of converting from Notebooks to Tags
As you can see in the comparison below,  the Tag view displays  a multiple column view

59b60c1f8129e_ScreenShot2017-09-10at21_03_22.thumb.png.25a4d89f9e80e4b2e3ee2df76e0c32b1.png.abecaa91bd94644ab9f25584b5560a03.png59b60c13d678c_ScreenShot2017-09-10at21_05_52.png.83da0e4b1bc9f584c8b53c083d7ff375.png.112076f4e2bb708f894f69a2617fa04c.png

Omg. Please put this back. It's driving me crazy to have to scroll through all my notebooks. Please give the option to keep things the way the were.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another vote to return to the grid view in notebooks. I have a large number of notebooks and the long vertical list makes it more difficult to navigate. Please return with option for grid view.

• Like 1

ohgod! I miss my grid view! I am on the "give us a choice" side. Not sure whose "brilliant" idea it was to change this, but put it back. . . soon!!

Regarding the removal of multi-columns to a list presentation - why move from greater to lesser with no options provided?  Was loving Evernote.  Now thinking of dropping it altogether.  Please bring it back.

Here here.

Ever curious, it would be fascinating to hear the basis for removing this...Evernote, please could you give us a "fly on the wall" insight into the decision to drop this time-saving feature?

• Like 1

Hello again, 

I have gone back to the previous version. This is not a small change, it is a decision that completely changes the user friendly experience. I assume that the person (people) that made the decision to take away this feature did not use it themselves and therefore have trouble imagining how practical it is/was. The consequence is that many users are finding that Evernote is  going from a very practical tool to a less practical tool....Again I would like to insist and ask evernote  to please reevaluate this decision, it is important that you listen to the users if you want to keep them and not develop for the sake of developing. Thank you!

• Like 1

I miss the grid as well! The functionality was perfect, I'm not understanding the logic of removing such a useful feature to so many. Please restore this!

Leave it to a bunch of restless software designers with nothing better to do than remove a popular feature from an application for no good reason!! Until now I sang the praises of Evernote; no more. Fix this, or I will find a different and better app. to work with.

Don't see why this was removed completely - beyond belief.

Give customers the option at least.

Surely its okay for us to have many notebooks. So we need to see those note books, and access them with one click.

I have so much wasted space on my screen now, please give us the grid option.

On 04/09/2017 at 3:28 PM, DTLow said:

The notebook list is a "feature" of v6.12

You have the option of reverting to v6.11 which has the grid layout

sadly no. When I tried this I got the following warning: 

Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 13.48.51.png

1 hour ago, peterlemer said:

sadly no. When I tried this I got the following warning:

So you downgraded the app to a previous version, and left the database at a different version.

You need to completely remove Evernote; app, database, components, ...
The app AppCleaner is recommended for this.
Install the Evernote app, login, and the database will be rebuilt from the servers
Warning: the rebuild doesn't include Local Notebooks or unsync'd notes.

Trouble is, I've just begun a major data collection using Local Notebooks ( all my musical composition ideas) and losing them would be out of the question.

So I'll have to live with clumpy Stacks until TPTB choose to revert to the previous structure.

Thanks for your response

pete

35 minutes ago, peterlemer said:

Trouble is, I've just begun a major data collection using Local Notebooks ( all my musical composition ideas) and losing them would be out of the question.

Anyone using Local Notebooks is at risk of losing data unless they have proper backups.

Typically, users export their data in enex format; a separate export for each notebook.

Data is restored to a rebuilt datase using the import feature.

Thanks DTLow, I back up my hard drive, so no problem there.

I will add enex export as a safety feature. Will I be able to export an entire Stack?

I've created a number of Notebooks. one for each composing period, and they're all Local under one stack

But I don't know if the Stack itself is Local

How do I tell whether any given Stack or Notebook is Local?

pete

15 minutes ago, peterlemer said:

Will I be able to export an entire Stack?

But I don't know if the Stack itself is Local

How do I tell whether any given Stack or Notebook is Local?

Stacks are simply a collection of notebooks; Local is not relevant.5adb68c040c64_ScreenShot2018-04-21at09_36_27.png.eb206fc16cb0db8498d679239b866587.png
and Yes, you are able to export a stack.
Warning: The enex export does not include notebook information.  This is the purpose of a separate export for each notebook.

Local Notebooks are indicated on the Notebook page.5adb67c00dc98_ScreenShot2018-04-21at09_29_00.png.64af64742dba4ad38f9828b8f20cadaa.png

Can you unpack your answer a bit for me, please?

If I can export a stack but an enex export does not include notebook information:

1. is there more than one way to export data?

2. if not, what information does an enex export include if not notebook information?

3. does exporting a stack include all associated notebooks?

thanks for your feedback, highly significant for my current project

cheers

pete

5 hours ago, peterlemer said:

1. is there more than one way to export data?

The export feature has two options, enex and html.

>>2. if not, what information does an enex export include if not notebook information?

Importing an enex file, creates new notes.  They are complete duplicates of the exported notes, except for the notebook and include note content, attachments, and metadata (tags, dates, ...)

>>3. does exporting a stack include all associated notebooks?

As per my screenshot, the export is for all the notes.  There is no notebook information, but the notes from each notebook will be included in the export.