Import Excel File into Notes easily

Cre8withJulie

Idea

I would like to be able to import excel files into Evernote without needing to use scripts.   Each line of the excel file could be a new Note 

You could provide a template format like the following:

Column a = Notebook Name

Column B = Note Title

Columns C - N = Tags

Column O - Z = Comments in Note

This would be amazing - but I must admit, I would be THRILLED if you could just upload Notes into a specific Notebook by dragging and dropping an .xlsx or .csv file into a Notebook.

If this already exists, I would love to know how!  I did this in a previous release but no one seems to know how to do it now.

12 replies to this idea

I just tried dragging an xlsx file into the dock icon of Version 6.12 beta 3 Mac and it worked perfectly, including showing a preview of all four sheets in the workbook. Is this what you're trying to do?

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, Cre8withJulie said:

I would be THRILLED if you could just upload Notes into a specific Notebook by dragging and dropping an .xlsx or .csv file into a Notebook.

My preference is for the generic .csv file instead of the app specific .xlsx file

9 minutes ago, jmpsfs said:

I just tried dragging an xlsx file into the dock icon of Version 6.12 beta 3 Mac and it worked perfectly, including showing a preview of all four sheets in the workbook.

The OP was asking for the spreadsheet data to be parsed into separate notes

As you pointed out, Evernote works well with office/iwork documents; searchable and inline view (Mac) 

I'm a fan of adding files as attachments to notes.  I use the Evernote editor for basic notes, but use dedicated apps for word processing, spreadsheet, note taking, ....

• Level 5*

I used MSOffice's Mail Merge feature to do something similar a while ago - use the Excel file as a database,  and set up mail merge fields in Word;  then save the output as files rather than printing them.  Worked for me at the time...

On 9/2/2017 at 5:22 PM, gazumped said:

I used MSOffice's Mail Merge feature to do something similar a while ago - use the Excel file as a database,  and set up mail merge fields in Word;  then save the output as files rather than printing them.  Worked for me at the time...

What kind of files?

• Level 5*

I used an Import folder which (5 years ago) sucked the content of the files into the body of the notes.  You'd have to test what that process does now in v10...

Do you have a specific task you're trying to accomplish here?  If you can provide more information maybe we can suggest the best alternative. 

On 8/26/2022 at 3:20 PM, gazumped said:

I used an Import folder which (5 years ago) sucked the content of the files into the body of the notes.  You'd have to test what that process does now in v10...

Do you have a specific task you're trying to accomplish here?  If you can provide more information maybe we can suggest the best alternative. 

Yes thank you gazumped. So I have two decades of "notes" pulled from many sources, cleaned up and normalized into a spreadsheet. Each "note" is a single row w/two columns - "title" and "content". I have assumed EN could import this spreadsheet from .csv (or other standard) with each row being read by EN as an individual note with the title coming from the "title" column and the note content as text from the "content" column (could be renamed to match EN requirements of course). And not as an attachment or inline table.

My goal is for easy cross-device searchability/readability/editability therefore text format, not tables/attachments/etc.

From what I've read in various posts this seems impossible in V10 and maybe possible in Legacy(?)

Thanks much!

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, Arks said:

Each "note" is a single row w/two columns - "title" and "content". I have assumed EN could import this spreadsheet ...

Evernote,  sadly,  didn't anticipate a need to import spreadsheets direct...

Depending on the size of your file I'd say you have two options.  It would be possible to add the whole CSV file to a note provided it is less than 25MB (Free) 50MB (Plus) or 200MB (Personal/Professional) in size.  The CSV file is a text file,  so fully searchable - you could simply search for keywords to see whether you get a hit from this file,  then search the file to find the context.  This has the advantage of dumping all the information into a searchable note immediately.

Plan B would be to set up a 'mail merge' in Excel to generate labels consisting of the title and content of each note in one text file,  and to save those labels in a folder.

Once completed,  move the content to an Import folder to add it to Evernote.

Beware your system limits though - too much upload / too large notes might cause you various sorts of problem!

Evernote system limits

On 8/29/2022 at 8:03 AM, gazumped said:

Evernote,  sadly,  didn't anticipate a need to import spreadsheets direct...

Depending on the size of your file I'd say you have two options.  It would be possible to add the whole CSV file to a note provided it is less than 25MB (Free) 50MB (Plus) or 200MB (Personal/Professional) in size.  The CSV file is a text file,  so fully searchable - you could simply search for keywords to see whether you get a hit from this file,  then search the file to find the context.  This has the advantage of dumping all the information into a searchable note immediately.

Plan B would be to set up a 'mail merge' in Excel to generate labels consisting of the title and content of each note in one text file,  and to save those labels in a folder.

Once completed,  move the content to an Import folder to add it to Evernote.

Beware your system limits though - too much upload / too large notes might cause you various sorts of problem!

Evernote system limits

Ok thank you again gazumped! I don't see this capability in v10 so will have to see if going back to Legacy makes sense to try this. Really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this! Seems like a major gap for EN not to think people would want to do things like this. 🥺

• Like 1