Notebook list view! / Grid view Help. Vr 6.12

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Fjimenez said:

How can i get back to my old view where i saw all my notebooks as a grid view / columns view?. 

The notebook image view was dropped in v6.12

To get back to the old view, you would have do downgrade your Evernote installation

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Fjimenez said:

That is just crappy coding and no sense of security.....

Whatever,      but the fact is    If you don’t like the v12 changes, don’t upgrade

>>Please share the download link to that versions install?

You can search the forums for release notes as per the above link.  Each release has a download link

You can search the forums for release notes as per the above link.  Each release has a download link

What download link?  You did not send any link ?

What is the last version# that the old view was supported?

Please share the download link to that versions install?

CC:  @BSR  If you can provide help it would be very help full. 

57 minutes ago, Fjimenez said:

What download link?  You did not send any link ?

What is the last version# that the old view was supported?

Please share the download link to that versions install?

CC:  @BSR  If you can provide help it would be very help full. 

Hi @Fjimenez,

We typically recommend against reinstalling previous versions as they do not contain the latest stability fixes. That being said, you can find the link to the previous public release (version 6.11.1) here:

You would need to follow the steps in the article below to uninstall the current version of Evernote, then reinstall from the link provided in the thread above:

How to uninstall and reinstall Evernote

I hope that helps.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, BSR said:

You would need to follow the steps in the article below to uninstall the current version of Evernote, then reinstall from the link provided in the thread above:

I’ll add a warning about running the v6.11 app with the v6.12 database
This can work sometimes, but I find it better to do a clean install

Completely remove Evernote from your device; app, database, ...  
The app AppCleaner is recommended for this

Reinstall the Evernote app and let the database be rebuilt from the servers.  
Warning: The rebuild does not include Local Notebooks or unsync’d notes

I agree with some previous posters -- Bring back the Notebook grid view! Part of the beauty and usefulness is to see all my notebooks at once. Sure, there's a keyboard shortcut to go directly to a notebook if I remember that it exists, and what the name is. Seeing them all at once means I don't have to trust my memory for that. That's why I use Evernote in the first place! Meanwhile, I'll follow the instructions to downgrade. Thanks for making them available.

On 9/4/2017 at 11:53 AM, sublime said:

Not only is this new notebook view a poor design, it's a complete waste of screen real estate.  Please at least give us the option to revert back to the original notebook layout.

I agree. It is a waste of screen real estate.

I want to echo the sentiment in this post. I initially thought this was a new "default" setting not a removal of a feature.  This is a very poor user experience move.   Had you warned me that you would be removing what was a key branding element of this product, I would not have upgraded.  As it stands, I will reconsider other options for me and my team.  May I recommend that in the future, you perform beta testing / customer validation of such a major change before you launch.

Good luck.

/ Ed

• Level 5*

You’re posting in the help forum.

A feature request has been posted, linked below.  To indicate your support, use the voting buttons in the top left corner of the request

I agree.  In order to see all my notebooks AKA folders, I now have to scroll up and down.  This decreases efficiency in locating notebooks.  If Evernote is suppose to be about efficiency, then bring back the notebook view.  Or at least give us the paying customer the choice.  --   I also want to add that I find it poor customer service that when I write a complaint to Evernote that the complaint gets passed along to an "expert".  I appreciate this person's time, but I pay for a premium subscription and expect to be treated like a paying customer.  

I can't believe they got rid of grid view.  Even with every one of my stacks collapsed it requires endless scrolling to see content that used to be available at a glance, and dragging and dropping between notebooks or stacks is now a disaster.  Guess I'm going to have to give One Note another try, as grid view was the main feature that kept me tied to Evernote all these years.

I upgraded and found that my workflows have been destroyed by not having the grid view. Why would you not give people an option?? Why wouldn't you even poll people before removing this view?

Had enough - first the attempts to change privacy and access to our files, then the fee increases, then the constant nagging to upgrade even when I'm paying, and now this.  I'll be looking to move to another product.

Very, very frustrated & bummed by this design change. Why would you re-design something that was streamlined/elegant/manageable to make it less so? Now considering switching all my school notebooks into Dropbox instead.  

This feels like someone just came into my nicely organized, efficient closet and messed everything up & threw away my drawers.  My brain is upset.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with everyone here. This change has added so much friction to my workflow that it's almost unusable. What was the rationale behind eliminating the grid view? The grid view allows you to see every notebook in a stack at a quick glance. Scrolling down a long list to view the contents of a stack is annoying. Bring back the grid view!

• 3 weeks later...

Recently I updated my Evernote and noticed the Notebook / grid view was gone.  I figured the LIST was now default, so I hopped over to the VIEW menu to change back to the view I’ve loved & used for years - the Notebooks in a grid (where at a glance you can see all of your notebooks & not have to scroll, and scroll, and scroll and uh, what notebook was that in again?).  Couldn’t find a view option for that old view. Oh no, don’t tell me it’s gone!  Yup, looks like it is. Feeling rather blindsided and discouraged by this (I know, get a life).  But this change has reduced my efficiency enough that I may look around for an alternate product to help make my life easier, like Evernote with Notebook view used to. This is my first post ever, so not sure if this is the right place, or is there a better place to suggest this “change back” to someone who has power to act?  Thank you. 

I have a MUCH better solution. I was so sick and tired of Evernote removing the things I liked and had gotten used to, I finally got fed up. A few weeks ago, I switched to ZoHo Notebook. It's what Evernote used to be and more, with beautiful options for notebook covers (Grid) view. And it's free! And it's new so it's only going to improve as time goes on. The hassle of moving to a new platform is outweighed by the beauty of this app. Good luck.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, SMX-CT said:

I have a MUCH better solution.

I have a MUCH better solution.  Look at the features and install the version that matches your requirements 

10 hours ago, DTLow said:

I have a MUCH better solution.  Look at the features and install the version that matches your requirements 

Sorry- that's a cop-out solution and not very progressive. Evernote's management makes careless changes to the interface without any consideration for the user base and what's been established. Rather than improve and build on what's there, they are drastic in there changes and take away things that they previously gave to the user. Never take away - that's the number one rule. However, that rule is constantly being broken. Personally, I'm fed up with the disrespect.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, SMX-CT said:

Sorry- that's a cop-out solution and not very progressive. Evernote's management ...

Yeah Yeah, Evernote is bad, got it

My intent is to resolve issues I’m encountering with this service

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. George Carlin

15 hours ago, Heidirrr said:

Recently I updated my Evernote and noticed the Notebook / grid view was gone.  I figured the LIST was now default, so I hopped over to the VIEW menu to change back to the view I’ve loved & used for years - the Notebooks in a grid (where at a glance you can see all of your notebooks & not have to scroll, and scroll, and scroll and uh, what notebook was that in again?).  Couldn’t find a view option for that old view. Oh no, don’t tell me it’s gone!  Yup, looks like it is. Feeling rather blindsided and discouraged by this (I know, get a life).  But this change has reduced my efficiency enough that I may look around for an alternate product to help make my life easier, like Evernote with Notebook view used to. This is my first post ever, so not sure if this is the right place, or is there a better place to suggest this “change back” to someone who has power to act?  Thank you. 

Yup - my reaction exactly. Looked at Google Keep and found ZoHo Notebook. I recommend ZoHo if you are a visual thinker. It's great!

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Yeah Yeah, Evernote is bad, got it

My intent is to resolve issues I’m encountering with this service

Excellent. Well, I'd say this is a pretty important issue based on what I'm reading here. Perhaps you can solve it. That is-  for those who are going to stick around to see what genius move Evernote management is going to come up with next. Maybe they can remove the web clipper on the next version, or the ability to use capital letters. For me, that was the last straw. Good luck.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, SMX-CT said:

Well, I'd say this is a pretty important issue based on what I'm reading here

To add your support to the request for notebook view reinstatement, please go to the post linked below in the feedback forum

The voting buttons are in the top left corner of the discussion

On 9/9/2017 at 11:19 AM, Stratman351 said:

I can't believe they got rid of grid view.  Even with every one of my stacks collapsed it requires endless scrolling to see content that used to be available at a glance, and dragging and dropping between notebooks or stacks is now a disaster.  Guess I'm going to have to give One Note another try, as grid view was the main feature that kept me tied to Evernote all these years.

Try ZoHo Notebook. You'll love it! and it's free

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Please bring back grid view, it was elegant, user friendly and intuitive! It is my favourite thing about Evernote and it is a design feature that sets you apart from similar applications. 

I am going to downgrade to the previous version but I really hope that you fix this in the next update and give users the option to view their material in a more logical and less cluttered way. If Evernote at its best is an extension of the brain then organising thoughts / files etc in a post - it  like visual display (grid view)  is essential...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When you're considering a new app - consider ZoHo Notebook. I'm really digging the interface. Really beautiful to work with. for now, I use the web version although they have MAC and iOS version as well. I believe they have it in the PC World also.

My renewal notice just came up today.   After several years, I WILL NOT be renewing and I have instructed my team to also conclude the subscription.  

It is not just the change (with out warning) but also the inability to roll back once the database is converted, the deafening lack of response from Evernote to this forum and the apparent lack of insight to the importance of understanding the brand user experience.  

Remember “new coke”!!!

/Ed

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, GoProBeta said:

also the inability to roll back once the database is converted

I'm able to roll back to previous versions

It's important roll back all components; not just the app
The app AppCleaner is recommended to do a clean install
After reinstalling the app, the database will be rebuilt from the servers.  Warning: the rebuild doesn't include Local Notebooks or unsync'd notes

>>I WILL NOT be renewing and I have instructed my team to also conclude the subscription

The notebook list is a minor element of the Evernote product/service.  Evernote continues to meet  my requirements regardless of the notebook grid/list calamity

Did you "instruct" your team to use an alternate product?

>>Remember “new coke”!!!

I remember sayings like, Cutting off your nose to spite your face
and Throwing out the baby with the bath water

49 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm able to roll back to previous versions

It's important roll back all components; not just the app
The app AppCleaner is recommended to do a clean install
After reinstalling the app, the database will be rebuilt from the servers.  Warning: the rebuild doesn't include Local Notebooks or unsync'd notes

>>I have instructed my team to also conclude the subscription

And you continue to display your intelligence

>>Remember “new coke”!!!

I remember sayings like, Cutting off your nose to spite your face
and Throwing out the baby with the bath water

I agree. I wonder why Evernote is doing both of those things. Doesn't make sense. they should really think twice before making stupid decisions like the one they are making....and have made in past years. Just plain dumb on their part.

• 2 weeks later...

Like everyone else here on this forum, please bring back the grid and notebook view of Evernote. I have too much time and energy invested in this product and dread the thought of having to find another product that could do the same. Downloading the previous version before the changes is a stupid waste of time. Give your users the choice like you did before. 

Migration Complete:

After a fair amount of consideration, which factored feedback from speaking with Evernote Customer Support, comments posted in this forum, and the absence of feedback from Evernote in this forum, I completed the migration from Evernote (Premium) to MS OneNote.   As a result of this, I have regained the Grid Notebook view as well as all other features I had in Evernote as well as several enhanced features.  The OneNote Importer made the process turnkey.    The migration did take approx. 45 minutes to convert my hundreds of notebooks.

Also, I had to ensure that I was running the Mac version of Evernote from the Evernote site, versus the version from the Apple Store.   (basically, I deleted the current app from my mac and downloaded and reinstalled the Mac version from Evernote's site).

It is really sad when a trusted vendor makes such draconian product changes apparently not factoring in the potential customer impact.  The lack of fair warning of this change, the remarkable lack of feedback on the Vendor's forum all signal (to me) a shift in Customer Insight focus.  

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have been with Evernote for a very long time, but have just completed the migration away from the product and instructed my team to do so as well.

I'll post any updates if I encountered issues with OneNote.   I've been on the new product now for a few days as well as completed a "Basics" overview via Lynda.com.

Here is a link to the migration tool and a table of OneNote versus Evernote Features:

https://www.onenote.com/import-evernote-to-onenote

/ Ed

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, GoProBeta said:

As a result of this, I have regained the Grid Notebook view as well as all other features I had in Evernote as well as several enhanced features

It certainly seems smart to use the software that best delivers the features you need.  Also to select the version that best matches your requirements.  If notebook grid was important to me I would be using Evernote's v6.11

Evernote makes it easy to export your data, compared to other services that seem to lock you in. 

@DTLow Please stop commenting on every post! We appreciate your insight, but not the sarcasm. 
@Evernote Removing the grid view is a MAJOR issue. I, like, many above are going to migrate to another platform and I will be filing for a filing for a refund since removing key features is a breach of contract. 

On 2/10/2018 at 8:44 PM, Reaz said:

@DTLow Please stop commenting on every post! We appreciate your insight, but not the sarcasm. 
@Evernote Removing the grid view is a MAJOR issue. I, like, many above are going to migrate to another platform and I will be filing for a filing for a refund since removing key features is a breach of contract. 

: ) Thank you

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, DTLow said:

There has been a feature request posted at the note linked below

>>Why have to switch notes ...  Why not add vote here

This is a help forum; there is no vote mechanism in this forum.  
Evernote set up this forum for users to get assistance with specific issues.  
For example; this discussion started when @fjimenez asked about restoring the notebook grid view

Evernote set up feedback forums for users to provide feedback and post feature requests.  
There are voting buttons at the top of every discussion for users to indicate support

• Level 5*

On 2018-02-10 at 5:44 PM, Reaz said:

@DTLow Please stop commenting on every post! 

>>What posts are allowed.  Are there any rules I can look at

Generally there are no rules and any post is accepted.  Try to stay on topic with the discussion, and no profanity or ad hominem

Note there are Help and Feedback forums.  Feature requests and feedback are more appropriate for the Feedback forums.  There's also a General Feature Requests forum for cross-platform features

I'm more interested in posts that provide information, not the "Boohoo ? Evernote is so bad" posts

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Agreed!  I hate the list view.  Please bring back Grid View or at least give people an option to choose.  I went through all the drop down menus in Evernote to see if I could revert back to the Grid View.  Finally, I chanced upon this forum stream.  I guess I can stop looking now.

Bring back Grid View!!!

• 4 months later...

Hey Amanda, me and the I suspect hundreds of others feel your pain.  We’ve to date received no response from Evernote.   I tried to go over to OneNote but there was some critical function misssing (I don’t recall, but I shared my experiences earlier).  I landed on Zoho notebooks and have beeen delighted since.  The one gap is lack of native windows support but the web interface works great.   Note, I am a native Apple client.  

Good luck, I hope this saves you some time.  

Btw. I cancelled my premium subscription. And instructed my team to do so as well

19 hours ago, Amanda M said:

WTF???? I was so confused–I just wasted a ton of time looking for the old Grid view–why on earth would they change this????  It's just a view Option?????!!!!! WTF???? Bring this back – no brainer.  

Just don't even stress about it - we've got the answer for you. Pack your bags and go over to ZoHo Notebook - it will put a major smile on your face. It's simply beautiful, user-intuitive and a great tool. cheers and good luck.

Archived