Can't Create Local Notebook

Hi,

Ref: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005107-What-is-a-local-notebook-

Need to create new local-only notebooks that will not sync. 

Following instructions in the above link, 

• Evernote for Mac: Click File > New Notebook > Local Notebook

The option to create a local notebook was missing,

only choices are private and shared.,

So, i created a private notebook, in the hopes that it would not sync.  However, it did sync anyway.  Is there a trick to creating a no-sync local notebook?

Thanks much.

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, adonsa said:

The option to create a local notebook was missing,

hold OPTION down on your keyboard before clicking on file in your Menu Bar. The option will show then. 

Hi DTLow, thanks for your fast reply.

Okay, i found the problem and this might be useful for other users (particularly Logitech keyboard users).

On the Logitech G710+ Keyboard, the re-mapped windoze key (re-mapped to become option) on the left side will not change the file menu choices.  However, the alt key on the right of the space bar will show it. It could very well be that having re-mapped the left side "windoze" key to become option did not suffice to become an option key recognizable by Evernote.  

Next, i dragged out an off brand 3rd party keyboard and the left side alt key allowed the local option to appear as it should, in the file menu.  

Thanks for enlightening me to the need to use the option key.

68-4

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, adonsa said:

Thanks for enlightening me to the need to use the option key.

You’re welcome

i should have also mentioned this warning.  

Make sure you back up your local notebooks.  By definition, they aren’t uploaded to the servers so they are not being backed up by Evernote

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5*
On 2017-09-05 at 2:11 AM, Tareq Salah said:

the OPTION button works fine but why this option need to be hidden?

2 hours ago, Fbruneault said:

On 6.13.1 on the Mac, holding the option key does not give the choice create a local notebook... Anyone else seeing this?

Holding down the option key, select File > Local Notebook5a29ea383bea7_ScreenShot2017-12-07at17_21_47.png.706377d8ebf5c49e5387f6bfcf7f0c0f.png

They are making it less easy to create Local Notebooks because too many users do not realize that the user is responsible for backing up their data.  

The Local Notebook is not sync'd to the servers, and not backed up by Evernote.  If the database gets reloaded, the Local Notebooks are lost

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with what Fbruneault said.  I am running 6.13.1 on the Mac and holding the option key no longer adds the "New Local Notebook" item to the file menu.  I use local notebooks at work since it is a violation of our policies to sync company information to third-party sites.  

This is the second time in a year that Evernote removed this feature with no warning or announcement.  I am a Premium member and an avid Evernote enthusiast (almost an addict) but I find myself, once again, looking for alternatives to Evernote

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, sspinner said:

I agree with what Fbruneault said.  I am running 6.13.1 on the Mac and holding the option key no longer adds the "New Local Notebook" item to the file menu.

Did you hold down the option key before selecting the File menu

On 12/19/2017 at 3:21 AM, DTLow said:

Did you hold down the option key before selecting the File menu

Haha, that got me too! On other Mac applications the menus change dynamically in front of your eyes as you press and release Option. Guess Evernote doesn't use that API for some reason. Definitely a really annoying, subtle glitch that sent me to Google and probably others too. 

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, evernoteforumQ said:

if I make an online notebook, where is the local copy of that online notebook/notes kept on my iMac?

There's no special location, the notes are stored in the database alongside the other notes.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, evernoteforumQ said:

OK, where is that database with the other notes?

To locate your database, use Evernote > Option Help > Troubleshooting5a8cc68ef3efc_ScreenShot2018-02-20at17_07_06.png.4d08e3818230e60c73ccfbc5942da8a5.png

>>And does this mean I cannot find a special location for Local Notebooks either?

No, there's just a single database containing all your notebooks and notes

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, evernoteforumQ said:

Thanks. If everything went to hell one day, would I be able to restore my notes using that folder from my Time Machine?

It's do-able, but it's quite complicated

The Evernote data is maintained on the Evernote server.  We only have a copy on the Mac.
Yes, you can restore the database from TM, and the first sync process will update your data from the server.

For an "everything went to hell" solution, I maintain an html backup using the export feature 

So I guess I would have these options:

Rely on TM: (after a TM restore, can I assume that re-synching with the server would leave my Local Notebooks, Local Notes, and Tags in tact?)

Use previously exported Html or  Enex files (do both of these return tags when re-imported? If not, I guess I should use the TM method...)

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, evernoteforumQ said:

can I assume that re-synching with the server would leave my Local Notebooks, Local Notes, and Tags in tact?)

Confirmed, no impact to Local Note/Notebook data.  Tags are a sync'd element

>>Use previously exported Html or  Enex files (do both of these return tags when re-imported?

enex files maintain tags; html files do not.  Neither maintain notebook

Warning: enex/html file imports can not be used to reload notes.  The import creates new notes.  My restore solution is to copy/paste content from my html backup.

Thanks for confirming that about the TM method.

Why copy/paste your html backup when you can import it to create a new but identical note? Is that because you want to maintain your tags/notebook hierarchy?

I might consider using the enex option, as that would keep tags, although it would lose the notebook groupings. To be honest, I rely entirely on tags for navigation and don't really need my notebooks. I have six offline and three online purely for the purpose of keeping them at a reasonable size. Do you now of any limitations on how many notes an online and offline notebook can hold? Are there risk or downsides to having very large notebooks?

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, evernoteforumQ said:

when you can import it to create a new but identical note?

The "new" becomes an issue I'd you have links to the note.  All the links point to the old note.

My notes are heavily cross linked

Ah,  links to the note. I don't share notes with others, except occasionally via email, so that isn't an issue for me. The only thing would be losing my notebook groupings. I looked  here https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005247-What-are-the-system-limits-of-Evernote-   but couldn't find any limit for the number of notes in a notebook. Do you know? , and are there risks in having notebooks with 10,000 or more notes in?

sorry, to answer my question by quoting you :)

so your comment in the link below means that there is no actual folder on my iMac that correlates directly to that notebook? (I think yes, based on your comments in the this thread above about the database)

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/102793-how-many-notes-can-i-create-in-a-notebook-as-a-basic-user/

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, evernoteforumQ said:

limit for the number of notes in a notebook. Do you know? , and are there risks in having notebooks with 10,000 or more notes in?

I don't think so; it's just database technology

>>there is no actual folder on my iMac that correlates directly to that notebook?

Confirmed.  Notebooks are metadata maintained in the SQLite database 

Notes are not actually stored in a notebook; it's simply a field in the note record

• 1 year later...

dear evernote

plz adhere to some standards with your mac-version of evernote: pressing/releasing the Option (or Alt) ⌥ key should dynamically reveal/hide the optional menu items — this way the user can see in plain sight what changes (which menu options) ... why would anybody have to press (& keep holding pressed) the Option (or Alt) ⌥  key before opening a menu? stup*d

https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/macos/menus/menu-bar-menus/

thanx