Evernote for Mac 6.12 GA

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Today we're releasing version 6.12 - you cadownload it here. Thank you to the Beta community who helped us uncover a few critical launch blockers. Please stay tuned, we'll be releasing 6.13 Beta 1 in a few weeks. 

Fixed in GA build

• An issue where the app would sometimes hang on quit 
  • An issue where some apple scripts would not work 
  • An issue where the stacks caret for expanding and collapsing these in the sidebar was not visible

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac and the Editor team! 

--------------------

Full release notes for version 6.12: 

Evernote for Mac 6.12 Release Notes

Major improvements to tables!

Some highlights of what you can do with tables now:

• Add more rows and columns with a single click: Point to where you want a new column and click the plus button that appears.
  • Choose the entire column or row just by clicking the header.
  • Drag and drop entire rows & columns.
  • Copy and paste multiple cells: Select the cells you want to move, copy them, move cursor to a new spot and paste all the cells with one click.
  • Adjust the width of one column without affecting the width of the column next to it.
  • Scroll horizontally to view a table with many columns without expanding your window.
  • Hover within a cell to activate advanced table options. 
    • You can distribute columns evenly
    • Match the table width to the width of your window
    • Change the alignment of items within cells
    • Add and change background colorsQuickly add rows and columns – via the plus button

New image gallery!

Double-click on an image to enter the gallery mode, which allows you to quickly browse all the images in your note!

Better multi-tasking 

Keep your Evernote content organized using tabs. Create a new tab by selecting the 'New Tab' option under the File menu. 
Pick up from where you left off - if you exit the app and re-open it, you'll return to your previously opened windows / state.

Separation of Business and Personal

No longer intermingle your business and personal content in your Evernote experience but still multi-task when you need to. 

Bug fixes

A number of user reported bugs are now fixed in this release:

• Evernote does not update business tags list after the sync
  • Pasting a large amount of text into a note fails with no error message
  • An intermittent crash on account switching
  • Images in some notes created by clipper were not displayed in the note  
  • Pasting content before a horizontal rule was sometimes resulting in the deletion of content below the horizontal rule

• Level 5*
On 2017-08-29 at 8:48 AM, Chantal Leonard said:

Today we're releasing version 6.12

edited: I can no longer reproduce this error.  My scripts are running ok
afaik   The only thing changed is that my database was being indexed at the time of the error

Bug Report - Applescript error    Evernote got an error: Export failed for unknown reason
Actual Statement:                        
export theTemplate to tempFile format ENEX with tags

On the plus side, the "find notes" aborting has been fixed so I’m able to find the note to export

• Level 5

Crashes for me every time I quit now. QA??

macOS 10.12.6 (16G29) - EN 6.12 (455415 Direct)

I assume I can't just "roll back" to 6.11 because my database was updated and re-indexed when I first launched. So I am stuck with a crash on every quit now.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, luckman212 said:

I assume I can't just "roll back" to 6.11 because my database was updated and re-indexed when I first launched. So I am stuck with a crash on every quit now.

Not necessarily.  You can completely remove Evernote from your Mac; app, database, ....
The app AppCleaner is recommended for this
Install the Evernote app and the database will be rebuilt from the server.  Warning, the rebuild does not include Local Notebooks or unsync'd notes

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Today we're releasing version 6.12

Bug Report: Constant Sync Activity

I noticed the sync icon spinning all the time.  I had sync set at 5 minutes, so I changed it to Manual
Syncing is still happening.  I can confirm this by having a web window open at a note

Also the activity log shows something ongoing

I am an ECC.  I'm on a MacBook Pro running macOS Sierra v. 10.12.6 and installed Evernote v. 6.12 Aug. 29, 2017.  I have over 3400 notes.

I was very excited to get this update because I use tables extensively.  However, since I installed the update, I've had major issues with existing tables.  If the columns had to be resized due to the update, I understand that, but there are tables that I cannot resize now, or the green resizing line is out of alignment and I can't grab it.  This means all the templates I've created with tables are going to be a huge mess to fix if I basically have to redo all the templates.

I've attached some screen shots showing what's going on.  In both cases, I cannot resize the columns.  I thought it was due to the indexing but either that's still going on (it's been about 6 hours) or those tables have to be recreated. The screenshot with the orange boxes shows you one table that I could resize and one immediately below it that I could not.  In the same note.  The shot with the green line shows how the resizing line is not lining up with the actual table lines.  I can't grab them.  Sometimes I can go out of the note and go back in it and the lines move to where they should be so I can resize.

Open to suggestions about how to fix this.

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 5.15.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 5.15.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 5.19.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 5.31.03 PM.png

• Level 5

I deleted every trace of Evernote 6.12 and rolled back to 6.11.  Had lots of freezes, "spinning spinners" when creating new notes, problems with code blocks (every line getting rendered as if it were a separate code block), tables randomly resizing themselves, etc.  The list of bugs I encountered in a 2 hour period was really disappointing. QA at Evernote is at an all time low, and this version is most certainly not ready for release status.

9 hours ago, luckman212 said:

Thanks for reporting. We're aware of this and we are working on releasing a fix soon. 

• Level 5
14 hours ago, luanrfsilva said:

"code" does not work inside the tables

Another bug with code blocks is that now when using the "simplify formatting" command, all code blocks get removed. In 6.11 they were preserved.

Seems like they messed with the codeblock feature a lot (to its detriment).

Oh, man.  I was so looking forward to the overhaul of tables.  I use them all the time, and the options that were in there were limited.  So after I installed, rebooted, and loaded up 6.12, to my horror ALL the existing tables were thrown out of whack (just like one of the gentlemen above mentioned.). I've got hundreds of tables.  To reformat all of them will be a tremendous time-sucker.  Ugh.  I wish there were a way to keep existing tables in their original form.

Cannot seem to copy/paste into cells.  Beyond frustrating.  Will try to roll back.

I can't complain much, though.  I'm among the users of the free app, so this is a lump I'll have to take.  If I were a paying customer, though, I would probably be a little more miffed.

17 hours ago, Sandeelynne3 said:

I am an ECC.  I'm on a MacBook Pro running macOS Sierra v. 10.12.6 and installed Evernote v. 6.12 Aug. 29, 2017.  I have over 3400 notes.

I was very excited to get this update because I use tables extensively.  However, since I installed the update, I've had major issues with existing tables.  If the columns had to be resized due to the update, I understand that, but there are tables that I cannot resize now, or the green resizing line is out of alignment and I can't grab it.  This means all the templates I've created with tables are going to be a huge mess to fix if I basically have to redo all the templates.

I've attached some screen shots showing what's going on.  In both cases, I cannot resize the columns.  I thought it was due to the indexing but either that's still going on (it's been about 6 hours) or those tables have to be recreated. The screenshot with the orange boxes shows you one table that I could resize and one immediately below it that I could not.  In the same note.  The shot with the green line shows how the resizing line is not lining up with the actual table lines.  I can't grab them.  Sometimes I can go out of the note and go back in it and the lines move to where they should be so I can resize.

Open to suggestions about how to fix this.

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 5.15.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 5.15.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 5.19.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 5.31.03 PM.png

Is this a nested table?  (and obviously something is getting through our protect old tables, logic) do you happen to have a problem note you can share so our dev folks can take a look at what is going on?

16 hours ago, luckman212 said:

I deleted every trace of Evernote 6.12 and rolled back to 6.11.  Had lots of freezes, "spinning spinners" when creating new notes, problems with code blocks (every line getting rendered as if it were a separate code block), tables randomly resizing themselves, etc.  The list of bugs I encountered in a 2 hour period was really disappointing. QA at Evernote is at an all time low, and this version is most certainly not ready for release status.

Not sure what I can hep with then.  Do you have a note(s) that can be shared that show the broken behavior, so I can take the info to Dev?

54 minutes ago, lifesDADventures said:

Oh, man.  I was so looking forward to the overhaul of tables.  I use them all the time, and the options that were in there were limited.  So after I installed, rebooted, and loaded up 6.12, to my horror ALL the existing tables were thrown out of whack (just like one of the gentlemen above mentioned.). I've got hundreds of tables.  To reformat all of them will be a tremendous time-sucker.  Ugh.  I wish there were a way to keep existing tables in their original form.

Cannot seem to copy/paste into cells.  Beyond frustrating.  Will try to roll back.

I can't complain much, though.  I'm among the users of the free app, so this is a lump I'll have to take.  If I were a paying customer, though, I would probably be a little more miffed.

We put in logic to help prevent this, obviously you have tables that aren't being handled correctly - can you share such a note so Dev can take a look at it and make our table protection logic better? 

3 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

We put in logic to help prevent this, obviously you have tables that aren't being handled correctly - can you share such a note so Dev can take a look at it and make our table protection logic better? 

I've attached a note, exported with the Evernote settings.  It's a pretty long note--you'll need to scroll down a bit.  You'll see the tables come up, though.  Some are two rows, some are 30+ rows.  All are three columns.  Even the tables that I created today in 6.12 have reverted back to the scrambled settings.  Please advise.

Note w Tables.enex

21 minutes ago, lifesDADventures said:

I've attached a note, exported with the Evernote settings.  It's a pretty long note--you'll need to scroll down a bit.  You'll see the tables come up, though.  Some are two rows, some are 30+ rows.  All are three columns.  Even the tables that I created today in 6.12 have reverted back to the scrambled settings.  Please advise.

Note w Tables.enex

I think I am a big confused, the tables when I load the ENEX file don't seemed messed up (attaching a screen shot) - I am not paying attention to the right thing? (or if open a problem note, leave it and return does it get fixed or more messed up? 

Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 10.28.42 AM.png

2 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

I think I am a big confused, the tables when I load the ENEX file don't seemed messed up (attaching a screen shot) - I am not paying attention to the right thing? (or if open a problem note, leave it and return does it get fixed or more messed up? 

Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 10.28.42 AM.png

The first column should just be wide enough to include the verse number.  The last two columns should be exactly the same, as I'm comparing two similar verses of scripture found in two different books.  It's important to get them the same size, because visually we're able to see that they are much the same wording.  Saving the note, even with revised column widths, doesn't seem to preserve the settings.

Screen-Shot-2017-08-30-at-9.35.49-AM.png

5 minutes ago, lifesDADventures said:

The first column should just be wide enough to include the verse number.  The last two columns should be exactly the same, as I'm comparing two similar verses of scripture found in two different books.  It's important to get them the same size, because visually we're able to see that they are much the same wording.  Saving the note, even with revised column widths, doesn't seem to preserve the settings.

Screen-Shot-2017-08-30-at-9.35.49-AM.png

Ok, so the new fixed width feature of the new tables messed up the formatting (column width) requiring re-adjustment - unfortunately I don't a quick solution for that - though once manually adjusted again, they will stay that way - sorry 

4 minutes ago, lifesDADventures said:

Do you have to go into each table and select "fixed width"?  When I adjusted the tables and exited the app, the tables went back to various sizes when I went back into the app.

No when you adjust them, they should say adjusted - if you right click inside a table and go down the "table" option in the menu that appears is there an update table option? 

1 hour ago, Jason Miller said:

Is this a nested table?  (and obviously something is getting through our protect old tables, logic) do you happen to have a problem note you can share so our dev folks can take a look at what is going on?

No, it's not a nested table.  It's just a note with lots of tables.  This is a template I have not tried to fix yet:  https://www.evernote.com/l/AED2_Cf4FCxNEJor056fBvntAMZE2dY5sE0

This is a note I fixed:  https://www.evernote.com/l/AEDDck3T4vZJ1IKmHB7GyRqJTWPEisljWMU

I think that part of my problem was the indexing process.  With lots of notes with a ton of content in them, my tech husband said it could take at least 24 hours to index.  Since I am now able to fix most of the tables, it would seem he is correct.  It's just really labor-intensive to fix all the notes with squashed tables.  I'm only fixing them on an as-needed basis at the moment, but I dread the client calls about the templates I made for them that will have to be fixed when/if they do this update and have the same issue.

57 minutes ago, lifesDADventures said:

I did not see anything when I clicked on Table Properties.

If you have the new table UI options (for example when you are in a table dots appear about columns on top or rows on the left, and/or you see a button that gets you a floating menu with options for background color and such) then you are in the new tables - and once you move the table columns they should stay where you put them.  If you don't see the new table features, then the system is getting confused.   When I adjust the column width on the previous ENEX file you shared they stay when I switch notes (note helpful for you at the moment probably)

This the note you are currently working on or another note that isn't behaving? 

59 minutes ago, Sandeelynne3 said:

No, it's not a nested table.  It's just a note with lots of tables.  This is a template I have not tried to fix yet:  https://www.evernote.com/l/AED2_Cf4FCxNEJor056fBvntAMZE2dY5sE0

This is a note I fixed:  https://www.evernote.com/l/AEDDck3T4vZJ1IKmHB7GyRqJTWPEisljWMU

I think that part of my problem was the indexing process.  With lots of notes with a ton of content in them, my tech husband said it could take at least 24 hours to index.  Since I am now able to fix most of the tables, it would seem he is correct.  It's just really labor-intensive to fix all the notes with squashed tables.  I'm only fixing them on an as-needed basis at the moment, but I dread the client calls about the templates I made for them that will have to be fixed when/if they do this update and have the same issue.

So it's not exactly indexing in this case, that happens when doing an upgrade and notes are migrated to a updated DB - our normalization process (which just cleans up the note structure behind the scenes) is doing this, however the note needs to be downloaded and then the process run (when you switch notes) for it to finally kick in (which can appear just as slow as indexing - depending on the normal of notes, note size etc.  

Does this mean it is starting to behave correctly for you (after "indexing" takes place) or are the tables still a problem? 

3 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

So it's not exactly indexing in this case, that happens when doing an upgrade and notes are migrated to a updated DB - our normalization process (which just cleans up the note structure behind the scenes) is doing this, however the note needs to be downloaded and then the process run (when you switch notes) for it to finally kick in (which can appear just as slow as indexing - depending on the normal of notes, note size etc.  

Does this mean it is starting to behave correctly for you (after "indexing" takes place) or are the tables still a problem? 

The tables are not returning to their original settings but as I navigate in and out of notes, more of them are allowing me to drag the columns to fix them, but not all of them yet.

I can live with the problem, it's just super annoying to redo all of my tables in all of my many templates.  This situation actually goes back to a previous update that caused some of the tables to "collapse" and I couldn't fix them.  Those are the same tables that are resisting resizing the longest for me now.

Just now, Sandeelynne3 said:

The tables are not returning to their original settings but as I navigate in and out of notes, more of them are allowing me to drag the columns to fix them, but not all of them yet.

I can live with the problem, it's just super annoying to redo all of my tables in all of my many templates.  This situation actually goes back to a previous update that caused some of the tables to "collapse" and I couldn't fix them.  Those are the same tables that are resisting resizing the longest for me now.

OK, sorry it is being slow about processing your tables (guess the function wasn't beat up enough against power user accounts) - and this update is suppose to help with the previous problem you and and many others ran into.  If you got a note with really stubborn tables I can take a look if you like.

12 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

If you have the new table UI options (for example when you are in a table dots appear about columns on top or rows on the left, and/or you see a button that gets you a floating menu with options for background color and such) then you are in the new tables - and once you move the table columns they should stay where you put them.  If you don't see the new table features, then the system is getting confused.   When I adjust the column width on the previous ENEX file you shared they stay when I switch notes (note helpful for you at the moment probably)

This the note you are currently working on or another note that isn't behaving? 

I get the new UI options.  I see them there.  However, none of the table column widths are staying when I switch notes or close the app.  What's worse is that I cannot copy/paste anywhere in the app.  Not within tables, not outside of tables--nowhere.  I've warm-booted, cold-booted.  Nothing seems to affect this.  Obviously, this is 6.12, but the other system specs include

2016 MacBookPro

2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

16gb RAM

Radeon Pro 460 4096MB

Intel HD Graphics 530 1536MB

I have no idea what's going on here.

2 minutes ago, lifesDADventures said:

I get the new UI options.  I see them there.  However, none of the table column widths are staying when I switch notes or close the app.  What's worse is that I cannot copy/paste anywhere in the app.  Not within tables, not outside of tables--nowhere.  I've warm-booted, cold-booted.  Nothing seems to affect this.  Obviously, this is 6.12, but the other system specs include

2016 MacBookPro

2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

16gb RAM

Radeon Pro 460 4096MB

Intel HD Graphics 530 1536MB

I have no idea what's going on here.

That is several levels of bad

This note almost sounds like it is ready only, so editing it doesn't work (or stick) - I am guessing this isn't a note that is shared with you.  If you export the note and re-import it, does it behave?  (allow edits and they stick?)

15 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

OK, sorry it is being slow about processing your tables (guess the function wasn't beat up enough against power user accounts) - and this update is suppose to help with the previous problem you and and many others ran into.  If you got a note with really stubborn tables I can take a look if you like.

Thanks - like I said, it's an issue I can live with.  My content is there.  It's just formatting.  I use the templates and then save them in notebooks for future reference so my plan right now is to simply fix the templates first and then deal with each problem table as it happens.  I'll get back on here if I get really stuck.  Thanks, Jason!

5 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

That is several levels of bad

This note almost sounds like it is ready only, so editing it doesn't work (or stick) - I am guessing this isn't a note that is shared with you.  If you export the note and re-import it, does it behave?  (allow edits and they stick?)

This IS bad.  I can type within the existing note, no problem.  It adds text fine.  No copy/paste, though.  I exported in .enex, imported, and WAS able to copy/paste in the new note.  But the formatting to the table did not hold up in the export/import process.  Formatting DOES hold up when switching in and out of the new imported note, however.

Wow.  Now copy/paste works in all notes.  It's like the export/import process fixed something.  Now when I switch out of notes and come back in, the formatting sticks.  I have no idea what happened.  Strange, strange.

FWIW, this was a shared notebook of notes.  I am the originator of it.

• Level 5
On 8/29/2017 at 9:07 AM, DTLow said:

Bug Report - Applescript error    Evernote got an error: Export failed for unknown reason
Actual Statement:                        
export theTemplate to tempFile format ENEX with tags

I wasn't able to reproduce this. The following script worked for me:

tell application "Evernote"
	set theTemplate to create note from url "http://www.evernote.com/"
	set tempFile to "/tmp/Test"
	export {theTemplate} to tempFile format ENEX with tags
end tell

It's hard to know what's going wrong without seeing more of your script.

44 minutes ago, lifesDADventures said:

This IS bad.  I can type within the existing note, no problem.  It adds text fine.  No copy/paste, though.  I exported in .enex, imported, and WAS able to copy/paste in the new note.  But the formatting to the table did not hold up in the export/import process.  Formatting DOES hold up when switching in and out of the new imported note, however.

Wow.  Now copy/paste works in all notes.  It's like the export/import process fixed something.  Now when I switch out of notes and come back in, the formatting sticks.  I have no idea what happened.  Strange, strange.

FWIW, this was a shared notebook of notes.  I am the originator of it.

Since  you are the owner of the notebook that is a confusing.  At least it sounds like things are getting better. It almost sounds like the changes weren't taking effect for the new notebook (changes being the updates to the editor) - so just to check is everything working correctly now?  (if so it would be a syncing/sharing problem that was breaking) 

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, Adjusting said:

I wasn't able to reproduce this. The following script worked for me:

Thanks for following up.  I'm also unable to reproduce the applescript abort

So as per the error message; Export failed for unknown reason
and it's now no longer a problem

On 2017-08-29 at 11:35 AM, luckman212 said:

Yep, mine also crashing every time I quit.

macOS 10.12.6, Version 6.12 (455415 Direct)

This is a bit absurd, considering my previous version was 6.12 Beta 2, which never crashed.

• Level 5*

Note tabs are nice but will be minimally useful until the tab name shows something other than All Notes or the name of the notebook.  The note title, or at least some part of it, should be shown.  As I recall this is also an issue in the Windows version.

Upgraded to 6.12 (for Mac) and continually crashing and wanting to send error reports.

It also now claims to be synching (its not) every time I close the application.

Then on restarting the application it wants to send a crash report ...... pretty useless now.

This upgrade seems to be an under-tested disaster - can I have some support please Olegs T rather than hiding behind a forum?

Next issue:

Web Evernote clipper now only displays one selectable Notebook "First Notebook" - which I do not own. The clips appears to work, as in no failure reported, however ....

New clips never appear in my account - they are lost.

The product has now become useless - can we discuss some level of compensation please?

On 8/29/2017 at 10:23 PM, DTLow said:

I noticed the sync icon spinning all the time.  I had sync set at 5 minutes, so I changed it to Manual
Syncing is still happening.

I have this problem too. In fact I've been noticing it for a while from earlier betas. Surely this is putting unnecessary strain on your servers.

There is also the irritating Waiting for sync' window in recent updates, which pops up when I quit and seems totally superfluous since it scarcely hangs around long enough for us to hit its Quit button. It appears even when I have made no changes in EN and, in this latest version, whether or not 'Warn me if i quit while syncing' is checked in prefs. Completely unnecessary added distraction. I know when I quit EN and require no additional dialog to inform me.

On 8/30/2017 at 0:05 AM, luckman212 said:

Hi, i have been a long time evernote user since 2009 and I am seriously considering switching to one note. Crashes everytime on exit. Please fix this asap

On 8/29/2017 at 4:23 PM, DTLow said:

Syncing is still happening.  I can confirm this by having a web window open at a note

Also the activity log shows something ongoing

Yes, I can confirm this as well.

In at least 30 minutes of working on some notes I was presented with at least 2 conflicting files during my writing which is strange given I have my EN set to "Manual Sync". I tried to change it to "Sync 5 min." and back to "Manual" to see if it somehow made it work but no. 

As @DTLow reported, the Activity Log is showing a syncing state, even though the Sync Icon is inactive. 

ENsync_31_08_17_14_30.png

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, AndyDent said:

As this is a non-beta version, can we now please log bugs into the issue tracker?

Issue tracker?

If I know a problem is related to this release, I post as per the sample below
Since we’re out of beta, I also submit a support ticket at Contact Evernote Support and include the ticket # in the post

The conflicting notes problem I experienced in the beta is still there, although does seem a bit harder to trigger. However, it hit me within the first hour of using Evernote since updating.

I logged 

support ticket #2195069 with the following text:

"The problem I raised in Ticket# 2188207 and that was discussed at length in the beta thread still occurs, although with lower frequency. Version 6.12 (455415 Direct). Unlike that original ticket, I ensured that my network was not at all congested - responsiveness in all apps is good and the only thing I was doing in Evernote was busily typing plain text content.

Whilst editing a note, on the Mac on which it was created, during a Sync event, that note is wrongly identified as causing a Conflicting Change.

This has two effects:
1) the note which I am editing, which has been continually open in a separate window, now becomes a COPY, in a new Conflicting Changes notebook.
2) An older version of the note is "restored" by sync and is the version to which links and shortcuts refer.

To fix this, I now have to copy the contents from the updated note into the "original" and delete the Conflicting Changes notebook.

Apart from nuisance value, the copying aspect of this bug is likely to result in customer complaints of "lost data". The latest version of a note is being mis-filed and that directly affects anyone using shortcuts or, like me, building up a rich wiki-like experience of linked notes.

As a side note, this problem reporting form doesn't allow selecting sync issues in the drop-downs above. I don't know if those result in any classification tags being attached to this report but if you're wondering why this is being tagged as a Notes - Tables issue that's why ;-)

I'm a software developer with over 30 years experience and as such appreciate both the complexity of the Evernote service and client code. However, I'm really disappointed with the quality of this release and the fact it went to release despite the long beta issues thread in the forums clearly identifying the problems."

Just upgrade to Evernote 6.12 and now the application crashes every time I close it. I get a bug report notification every time I open the application. I have tried completely uninstalling Evernote and deleting all all traces of files and folders. Problem continues. Is there anyway to roll back to an older version of Evernote? 

13 hours ago, AndyDent said:

As this is a non-beta version, can we now please log bugs into the issue tracker?

For starters, it is still initiating sync as a side-effect of editing a note, even with sync set to Manual.

I was told someone was following with you on this (besides me saying something is following up) - has anyone gotten back to you?  

Guys,

I just updated Evernote to 6.12 on MAC. I have to say I dreadfully disappointed with the new UI.

Previously I WAS able to see all my notebooks, but now I can only see 25 before I have to scroll. Who thought this was progress? UI at the Notebook level is absolutely dreadful.

There is no "Sort By" buttons with Name Count or Updated, they now have to be selected from a ridiculous drop down menu. These we always very useful, for a simple click to sort.

Please, please un-patch this version and give me back the better UI

Niall

I'm pretty sure with the upgrade to Evernote 6.12 (from the latest BETA), the Evernote New Note window is no longer setting the cursor focus to the "Title" field when a new note is created from a note that has it's own window (it's not setting focus at all in fact). I'm guessing this is a bug introduced with all the tab work that's going on.   When starting a New Note from the main Evernote window, the application does set the cursor focus to the "Title" field correctly.

I'm used to this working:

1. Start in the main Evernote window, All Notes view
  2. Double-click a Note to get it into it's own Window
  3. Type COMMAND-N to create a new Note (new window pops-up)
  4. Note that the new window has no cursor focus set -- you cannot just start typing - instead if you type you get the MacOS alert / error beep
  5. Grumble and find mouse and click into the Title field or the message body to continue typing.. 

Can we get this fixed? Thanks!

Looks like the issue also happens from the main Evernote window if you are in a search result (and probably any other mode where Evernote chooses to start a new window for the new note)

1. Start in the main Evernote window, All Notes view
  2. Search for something in your Notes - like "Test"
  3. Enter COMMAND-N to create a new Note (new window pops-up)
  4. The new window has no cursor focus set (you cannot just start typing) - if you type you get the MacOS alert / error beep
  5. Grumble and find mouse and click into the Title field or the message body to continue typing.. 
3 hours ago, Niall O'Reilly said:

Guys,

I just updated Evernote to 6.12 on MAC. I have to say I dreadfully disappointed with the new UI.

Previously I WAS able to see all my notebooks, but now I can only see 25 before I have to scroll. Who thought this was progress? UI at the Notebook level is absolutely dreadful.

There is no "Sort By" buttons with Name Count or Updated, they now have to be selected from a ridiculous drop down menu. These we always very useful, for a simple click to sort.

Please, please un-patch this version and give me back the better UI

Niall

I agree with Niall about the notebook settings.  It looks more like the business version, but I MUCH prefer the other view where I could see soooo many more notebooks at one time.  For your power users who have lots of notebooks, the new view is awful!

8 hours ago, bgmckinley said:

Just upgrade to Evernote 6.12 and now the application crashes every time I close it. I get a bug report notification every time I open the application. I have tried completely uninstalling Evernote and deleting all all traces of files and folders. Problem continues. Is there anyway to roll back to an older version of Evernote? 

I have this problem as well. I had to use App Cleaner and restore from a backup to reinstall 6.11. I've wasted half a day on this. This sucks. 

Version 6.12 (455416 App Store) 

PNG files flip horizontally when you use them in the picture field in the account info box. I had a 'm' as a png graphic file that I dropped in there and it showed up reversed. Once I flipped it in Preview.app and re-saved it, it presented correctly in EN.

A user brought up a query upon upgrading and so I went to investigate: Note Count differs from 6.11.x to 6.12. I'm presuming (from a cursory review of the number of shared notes with me) the difference is shared notes with me and not a loss of notes. Can anyone clarify if this is intentional, or a bug that needs squashing? Thanks! (@Chantal Leonard @Jason Miller)

I can only second many of the comments here. Evernote user since 2008 (I believe), Premium, this is the most unstable version ever. Crashing (evernote itself + the whole macbook every night), Memory goes up to several GB, constantly syncing, notes not showing (instead another spinning wheel), display not updating, .... please please issue a fix ASAP. I am seriously considering changing to OneNote or sth else.

Hi, I'm finding the new tables very frustrating when moving between different screen sizes. 

For example, at home I work off a 27" Monitor plugged into my Mac. I created a table on this screen and set it to 'match note width'.  When I opened the same note on my laptop screen today I now need to scroll from left to right to see all of the content in the table.

Can 'match note width' rather set to 100% width of the current note size? 

Oh and also, using --- no longer sets a line across the table. Using code blocks and --- were some of my fav features of Evernote tables and they are broken now. 

On 9/2/2017 at 8:42 AM, HelloEN said:

Version 6.12 (455416 App Store) 

PNG files flip horizontally when you use them in the picture field in the account info box. I had a 'm' as a png graphic file that I dropped in there and it showed up reversed. Once I flipped it in Preview.app and re-saved it, it presented correctly in EN.

Do you mind sharing the steps or problem note that has this problem so Dev can take a look? 

8 hours ago, Jonathan Michael Copeland said:

Hi, I'm finding the new tables very frustrating when moving between different screen sizes. 

For example, at home I work off a 27" Monitor plugged into my Mac. I created a table on this screen and set it to 'match note width'.  When I opened the same note on my laptop screen today I now need to scroll from left to right to see all of the content in the table.

Can 'match note width' rather set to 100% width of the current note size? 

Oh and also, using --- no longer sets a line across the table. Using code blocks and --- were some of my fav features of Evernote tables and they are broken now. 

The sticking to note width (instead of just increasing to current width) is a feature request - what you are seeing is the current design :-(

Along with the removal of HR (lines) and Code block from the new tables - I will add your note to the request of adding these features back in

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, PBGBob said:

How can I get the Notebook view back to multiple columns?

Downgrade to a version that has the features you want
This was discussed here

Bug Report:

When typing inside the Business Card fields, the cursor keeps jumping to the beginning of the line.

For example, if your have "John" in the name field and you click after "n" and start typing, the cursor will jump to before "J" when you start typing. You need to click and immediately start typing in order to be able to get the text to stay after "John". If you wait a couple of seconds the cursor will jump.

Im having major major issues with 6.12. I use Evernote for 80% of what I do at work. 6.12 has turned a seamless work solution into a complicated mess of a system. It is adding extra steps to every single thing I do. I wish you would have taken the, "if it aint broke, dont fix it" attitude. Not only did the update cause me to lose a day of work because my Evernote got stuck on "Migrating notes"  for 24 hours.

When it finally opened I realized how messy this new system is. I work in a million notebooks throughout the day which means I need to be searching all the time through multiple notebooks. The search function is now a disaster. Before it would pull up all notes in a side view right away. Now it seems to want to pull up my personal tell me theres nothing, and below it will say "57 notes related to this in business. So you click that (extra step), then it brings them up not in list view so I have to click each one (extra step) then I click the note to go to it, and I cant, you have to click edit (extra step). I hate the block view, thats not the way I ever view things in Evernote.

Taking away the ability to blend personal and business is a nightmare as well. I have all my coworkers send me email via personal and then I switch them to corresponding business notebooks as I go through. So I keep one window of personal open and one business window open. You can no longer do this. You switch one and it flips the other. I need the second window even more so since youve taken away the ability to easily search. Switching notes is complicated because now you have to wait for syncing. And my evernote seems to be syncing every 5 seconds.

I feel like we stepped into a beta version of evernote, this is adding time and extra steps to every single thing I do. I would seriously consider abandoning this version and switching back. Everyone in my workplace that has switched has regretted it and everyone who hasnt is trying frantically to keep their computers from updating. Do you have any solutions or reasons for why you ever thought any of these changes were a good idea?

1 hour ago, Eduardo Estefano said:

Bug Report:

When typing inside the Business Card fields, the cursor keeps jumping to the beginning of the line.

For example, if your have "John" in the name field and you click after "n" and start typing, the cursor will jump to before "J" when you start typing. You need to click and immediately start typing in order to be able to get the text to stay after "John". If you wait a couple of seconds the cursor will jump.

Sorry a known issue that is currently being worked on

1 hora atrás, Derek BRM disse:

Im having major major issues with 6.12. I use Evernote for 80% of what I do at work. 6.12 has turned a seamless work solution into a complicated mess of a system. It is adding extra steps to every single thing I do. I wish you would have taken the, "if it aint broke, dont fix it" attitude. Not only did the update cause me to lose a day of work because my Evernote got stuck on "Migrating notes"  for 24 hours.

When it finally opened I realized how messy this new system is. I work in a million notebooks throughout the day which means I need to be searching all the time through multiple notebooks. The search function is now a disaster. Before it would pull up all notes in a side view right away. Now it seems to want to pull up my personal tell me theres nothing, and below it will say "57 notes related to this in business. So you click that (extra step), then it brings them up not in list view so I have to click each one (extra step) then I click the note to go to it, and I cant, you have to click edit (extra step). I hate the block view, thats not the way I ever view things in Evernote.

Taking away the ability to blend personal and business is a nightmare as well. I have all my coworkers send me email via personal and then I switch them to corresponding business notebooks as I go through. So I keep one window of personal open and one business window open. You can no longer do this. You switch one and it flips the other. I need the second window even more so since youve taken away the ability to easily search. Switching notes is complicated because now you have to wait for syncing. And my evernote seems to be syncing every 5 seconds.

I feel like we stepped into a beta version of evernote, this is adding time and extra steps to every single thing I do. I would seriously consider abandoning this version and switching back. Everyone in my workplace that has switched has regretted it and everyone who hasnt is trying frantically to keep their computers from updating. Do you have any solutions or reasons for why you ever thought any of these changes were a good idea?

Same here. 

UN-productivity #1: I send a lot of stuff to my Inbox notebook (private default). then to send this to business now takes more steps.

UN-productivity #2: I have a lot of personal notes / notebooks that I use WHILE working. Some are references that I use at work. I find myself having to search in BOTH accounts in order to find a especific information. It would be great

UN-productivity #3: My Inbox notebook is where I keep "pending" items, that I need to work on. I have it on my favorites. Now if I'm on a business notebook, I need to switch back to the personal in order to get to Inbox. Could the Default notebook be available in both accounts? There is a default business notebook setting but i'm not sure what it is for.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, MJGwater said:

Is there any way to revert back to version 6.11? I just upgraded to 6.12.1 and now the search function doesn't work nearly as well. I don't use notebooks to organize my notes so now I can't even find the note I was looking at right before I clicked upgrade?

I haven’t seen any changes to the search function

Instructions for reverting at

On 07/09/2017 at 4:18 AM, Eduardo Estefano said:

Same here. 

UN-productivity #1: I send a lot of stuff to my Inbox notebook (private default). then to send this to business now takes more steps.

UN-productivity #2: I have a lot of personal notes / notebooks that I use WHILE working. Some are references that I use at work. I find myself having to search in BOTH accounts in order to find a especific information. It would be great

UN-productivity #3: My Inbox notebook is where I keep "pending" items, that I need to work on. I have it on my favorites. Now if I'm on a business notebook, I need to switch back to the personal in order to get to Inbox. Could the Default notebook be available in both accounts? There is a default business notebook setting but i'm not sure what it is for.

I control our company account. We have 16 users. It was my idea to push Evernote though the organisation. My staff tell me the product is not worth the trouble with the split of business and private. They say they its annoying to search for things now ... they have to search twice to find things and switching notes between private and business notebooks is now a multi step process. After upgrading everyone to 6.12 GA at the end of August, last week only one staff member other than me used Evernote.  its now a pointless product if all my staff have stopped using it.  Well done Evernote..  You actually had us locked in for life until this misstep. I just can't justify paying $170 a month if nobody is using the product.

On 9/9/2017 at 9:50 PM, MJGwater said:

Now that I've upgraded to 6.12.1, clearing formatting sometimes doesn't bold text. Is anyone else having this problem? (I'm using a Mac)

So turning off bold means you can't make it bold again?  Or are you doing remove formatting and then things are broken? 

Anyone separate business and personal notes using 2 accounts with new version of Evernote? 

They say... "No longer intermingle your business and personal content in your Evernote experience but still multi-task when you need to. " 

I have few questions:

1) Can I search and display results from both accounts? For example when I addded something business related to the personal ideas notebook.

2) Can I easily move notes from personal to business account?

And is it good approach to separate my notes (currently 8k+)? It's very frustrating to have those multiple tags everywhere like: ideas-business, ideas-personal, goals-business, goals-personal, expenses-business, expenses-personal etc. 

Edit: I've found answers here https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000716428-How-to-switch-between-personal-and-business-notes

@Chantal Leonard Why the behavior of the "Simplify Formatting" keeps changing from version to version? And it's not like it's evolving, it becomes very unreliable. This is an important feature when we use the web clipper — and most of what I do with Evernote is research and clipping. 

In this version it doesn't remove all text formatting clutter, and instead erases my highlights and content within tables. It's terrible.

1 hour ago, Jason Miller said:

If go to the menu on mac there is option for View, and you can get the same list that is in the windows screen shot above

I am on the free version if that matters. Otherwise, I have to beg to differ, there is no View option as noted that I can find. I have that for Notes View but not for Notebooks view. 

Notebook_View.thumb.png.16aae3edbc8e29f4e5b8841e290234ce.png

4 hours ago, sail said:

@PBGBob You can see those options only in Notes views - not sure why you would want to view the Notebooks in the differing views? 

Thanks, @Sail, I get the point, but with 70 notebooks, scrolling to rapidly find a notebook I need is a waste of time. Evernote is very fast for me usually, but this change from multiple columns of notebooks to one column slows me down. It may not seem like much but every second adds up. 

I just want the option to see all the notebooks at once in a multi-column view.

17 hours ago, PBGBob said:

Thanks, @Sail, I get the point, but with 70 notebooks, scrolling to rapidly find a notebook I need is a waste of time. Evernote is very fast for me usually, but this change from multiple columns of notebooks to one column slows me down. It may not seem like much but every second adds up. 

I just want the option to see all the notebooks at once in a multi-column view.

I agree. Reducing the notebooks view to a list only limits it usability. My wife is dyslexic and she is horrified she can no longer navigate her notebooks visually (as a grid of icons, grouped in stacks) the way she used to. I don't understand why the interface no longer allows both options? I strongly recommend reintroducing the grid view or risk to alienate some users.

Hi. I'm an ECL,  posting on behalf of another user. (Copy/pasting what he suggested). 

You have a nice euristic that auto adds todo-checkboxes in the new lines right after or within todo block. Please add a check that the new line does not start with a checkbox already. It may happen if you reformat your checkbox block with copy-and-paster after paste and line split.

I wonder if others would agree to this idea. Anyway. I promised him I'd post it here. So I did =) 

• Level 5*

Just so everyone is aware, a new update has been released:

On 9/19/2017 at 12:47 AM, Chantal Leonard said:

Version 6.12.3 Beta

Fixed: Fixed crash and sync issues some users are encountering.

Version 6.12.2 

Fixed: A fix where text when copied from Evernote and pasted into another app sometimes has additional punctuation and other characters added to it.

On 18.9.2017 at 7:10 PM, jrcchicago said:

After all of the complaints about the removal of Atlas from the iOS app, why on Earth would EN remove the Atlas view from the Mac app too? 

The built-in notes app on the Mac does not have this, so how would this be relevant at all?

(Long-term premium subscriber here, ready to pay for such features, but now in doubt how long other core features will survive - automated titles with location and date/time were removed some time before, will OCR for scanned documents be next on the list? Please listen, product managers.)

Archived