Start calendar date on Sunday

Antonio Viggiano

Idea

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 29/08/2017 at 0:02 AM, Antonio Viggiano said:

In most applications

Hi.  Haven't done any sort of survey,  but I'm happy with Mondays in this sort of date choice calendar and it seemed the same as most other software to me.  Definitely not a priority to change or provide an option in future...

Hey @gazumped thank you for answering.

Indeed I should have provided some examples supporting my claims.

Here are some of the apps I use the most, hence the statement that it's "standard" to start the calendar on Sunday:

1. Evernote's own website

Use links below to save image.

2. Google calendar

google.png.445efd8ce0bce146c7802ae1de7df44d.png

3. Gnome calendar (linux)

gnome.jpg.05b79c0ecd6a7d56858540a2ad7e1ad7.jpg

4. USA (wikipedia)

In the USA Sunday is considered the first day of the week and so appears on the far left and Saturday the last day of the week appearing on the far right. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar

Edit: added some other sources

I strongly agree. Viewing a calendar starting on Monday is a constant distraction. I would rather the ability to set the calendar options myself if Evernote feels the need to continue with a Monday starting calendar. Having to "program" my brain to remember how Evernote displays a weekly/monthly calendar in relation to how every other app I use daily displays their calendar is really selfish, and a bit thick headed, of Evernote. I love my Evernote and can't imagine living and being productive without it but come on guys/girls... let us do what comes naturally and is available everywhere else. Hope this helps.

Believe or not, in Europe weeks end on Sundays and start on Mondays in accordance with ISO 8601 and beyond that on the orders laid down by the Christian churches. Six days thou shalt do thy work, and on the seventh day thou shalt rest.

The working week is defined as Mon - Sat, however the vast majority work  Mon - Fri (5 day week).  Shops of course, plus other trades are open on Saturdays because that's when they do most of their business. 

If you look at it my way it does not look strange at all :-)

• Level 5*

I'd take a bet that Evernote didn't consult any European ISO standards before starting the calendar on a Monday.  I work for myself, so the week tends to start if and when I want it to - but historically Sunday is the day I start agonizing over reviewing all the stuff that didn't happen (to my satisfaction) last week and organizing what's gonna happen (in theory) next week - so having my calendar pop up with Monday at the start seems totally logical to me.  YM (clearly) MV.

The fact this thread has zero votes so far seems to indicate it's not come up as a major issue with most folks...  ;)

• Level 5*
On 2017-11-02 at 6:09 PM, JohnLongney said:

in Europe weeks end on Sundays and start on Mondays in accordance with ISO 8601 and beyond that on the orders laid down by the Christian churches.

The international standard ISO 8601 counts Sunday as the seventh and last day of the week. However, Sunday is considered the first day of the week in many countries, including the United States, Canada and Japan.
https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/days/sunday.html

I'm not religious or anti-Semitic; it just seems to make more sense to put the weekend at the end of the week59fc8b0aa6f94_ScreenShot2017-11-03at08_27_42.png.264a4514b76cc5c408475eb680666d25.png

My apple computers allow me to set the first day of the week.  Maybe Tuesday for those enjoying long weekends

• Level 5*

Good old Wikipedia:

For most Christians, Sunday is observed as a day of worship and rest, holding it as the Lord's Day and the day of Christ's resurrection. In some Muslim countries and Israel, Sunday is the first work day of the week. According to the Hebrew calendars and traditional Christian calendars, Sunday is the first day of the week.[1] However, according to the International Organization for Standardization ISO 8601, Sunday is the seventh and last day of the week.

Tech or tradition, who you gonna call?  :)

No calendar warned me that this year, for the sake of Martin Luther's 500th anniversary, the German government granted an extra public holiday on Tuesday this week. To make matters worse that was followed by All Souls Day on Wednesday. So on Monday (bridge day!) all shops were flooded with bargain hunters and on Tuesday the Autobahn (motorway) was even more packed than on a normal working day. 

Of all days in the year I had tickets for a motor museum on Tuesday and what with exceptionally fine weather and the public holiday that place too was crampacked. 

In conclusion, the issue is by no means which day the week starts or ends, a really useful calendar would  apply AI to suit

#idiot# #ignorant# #me# #wife# #not amused# #speeding trap# #flash went off# 

NICE WEEKEND !

Archived