Add comments to web clipping on Android app

Duane

Idea

When I'm on my computer, and I want to clip a web page using Web Clipper extension for Chrome browser, there's a spot to enter comments that will show up above the clipped content, which also (correctly) means above the formatting of the web page content.

When I clip while on my Android phone (by sharing to Evernote in smartphone Chrome browser), while there's the option to add tags and select the notebook, there's no opportunity to add comments.

I've developed a workaround, but it'd be much slicker/easier/faster if the opportunity to add comments while on my smartphone was just as it is for the Web Clipper add-on in my Chrome desktop browser.

Some may be wondering what my workaround is - I clip the page without the entire article and use a tag called "ClipThis"; later, on my laptop, I'll clip the whole article, add my comments, and afterwards delete the previous content-less clipping. Functional, but not very elegant.

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Duane said:

it'd be much slicker/easier/faster if the opportunity to add comments while on my smartphone was just as it is for the Web Clipper add-on in my Chrome desktop browser.

I moved your request to the Android Forum, although it also applies to the IOS devices

If it’s like my iPad, there is no clipper app; the web page is added to Evernote via the OS share menu.  I have the option to update the title, notebook, tags; but no comments

You said “later, on my laptop”.  Why not flip over to Evernote immediately, and add your comments using the Android device?

9 hours ago, DTLow said:

You said “later, on my laptop”.  Why not flip over to Evernote immediately, and add your comments using the Android device?

Good question! Here's my issue with this - if you fully clip a web article, there's no clear space above it where you can type a comment without it being messed up by the formatting of the article heading.

But, on my laptop, I use the Web Clipper that does provide comment functionality during the clipping, and inserts that entered data at the top, separate from the article font/formatting.

For a clean, consistent look, I create a "MyHighlights" section, separate and above the clipped article, in which I annotate the note with key quotes from the article, any comments I want to add towards a conversation, and links to other articles in my Evernote. Most of this is towards the curation of an open, published notebook I call TheIceberg, which shares more of the background/sources behind a tweet or online comment I make that is usually just "the tip of..."

Many of Times I use Pocket as a temporary station app to send the articles or web clipping to Evernote in my android device. In my iPad tablet, there is a shortcut in IOS system that “share the article to EN” , This is working perfectly at iPad at IOS system. However I can not say the same for Android mobile phone. Many times I tried and compare the EN & Pocket, pocket is much more successful for mobile clipping then EN. Of course EN windows chrome extension is working fine, but EN needs to update the application at Android for mobile clipping because it is not working properly. Please try to clip in android as close as Pocket in mobile clipping because this app is doing great work in mobile. Then I will not use anymore pocket as a temporary station to save the article at EN.