Two computers in sync?

I have EN on my desktop computer and a few mobile devices. Everything works fine mostly and I just bought a laptop for use on the road. Can I copy my EN database from my desktop to my laptop and then install EN on the laptop and point it at the copy of the database? The copying is so I wouldn't have to download everything from EN to the laptop.

Would I then be able to update on the desktop, sync up to EN, and then sync down to the laptop? And vice-versa?

The answer may be obvious to some but before I go and spend hours trying to do what may be impossible I thought I'd ask.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, OrbWeaver said:

Would I then be able to update on the desktop, sync up to EN, and then sync down to the laptop? And vice-versa?

This should be automatic and require little setup on your part.  Just be sure you're using the same account (userid/password)

>>Can I copy my EN database from my desktop to my laptop and then install EN on the laptop and point it at the copy of the database? The copying is so I wouldn't have to download everything from EN to the laptop.

You can search the forums and see other discussion on this
Users have copied the database, but the download is the preferred setup

I think you have to do the copy after installing Evernote; otherwise the local database gets overwritten

• Level 5
14 minutes ago, OrbWeaver said:

I have EN on my desktop computer and a few mobile devices. Everything works fine mostly and I just bought a laptop for use on the road. Can I copy my EN database from my desktop to my laptop and then install EN on the laptop and point it at the copy of the database? The copying is so I wouldn't have to download everything from EN to the laptop.

The answer may be obvious to some but before I go and spend hours trying to do what may be impossible I thought I'd ask.

There are discussions in the forums of how to copy databases rather than letting EN download, as @DTLow notes. For myself, though, unless I had a very massive database or a very unreliable or costly online connection, I'd prefer to let EN do its work and so not introduce the possibility of user error. In any case, once the database has been reproduced on the laptop, changes made on any device and synced on that device will propagate to all devices when they sync. Manually copying the DB shouldn't affect that; but just the fact that the question arises is one thing that would make me want to let EN create the laptop DB for me.

42 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Manually copying the DB shouldn't affect that; but just the fact that the question arises is one thing that would make me want to let EN create the laptop DB for me.

I combined both replies and it is working fine. I installed a recent version (6.5) over the pre-installed (5.9) and let it create everything without connecting to the server. Then I copied the entire EN folder from the desktop (~= 1GB) over the existing EN folder, hooked up the internet, fired up EN, logged in and it did a 10 second sync and everything is looking good. Thanks folks!

Archived