how would I import my Yojimbo notes to Evernote?

• Level 5*
On 2017-08-24 at 4:54 PM, ryubyss said:

I like Yojimbo but have contemplated switching over. I did find a link, but only a very old one. and I have literally never used AppleScript before.

I'm not a Yojimbo user, but I can help you running AppleScript

If you need a simple script example, I posted this

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, ryubyss said:

now what? the code I linked to above has a problem in that it won't work unless I DL Growl. Growl costs $3.99 so how could I use the script without purchasing Growl? 

I don’t have Growl either.  You could comment the lines referencing it

6 hours ago, DTLow said:

You could comment the lines referencing it

I do not know what mean by that. comment (on?) what? reference what? you know much more about coding than I do. (I couldn't even get beyond the early levels of a computer game designed to help learn code, albeit one for adults rather than kids.) you may find it hard to put yourself in my frame of mind.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, ryubyss said:

I do not know what mean by that. comment (on?) what? reference what? 

Glancing at the script, I see the lines

tell application "GrowlHelperApp" -- GROWL FAILURE FOR ERROR
                    notify with name ¬
                        "Failure Notification" title ¬
                        "User Cancelled" description ¬
                        "Failed to export!" application name "Yojimbo to Evernote"
                end tell

You can stop this specific code from executing

• Delete the code
  • Convert the code to a comment
    • Surround with  (*   *)
    • Prefix each line with --
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, ryubyss said:

I tried that and then Script Editor asked me where to find Growl Helper. 

Are you sure you removed all the code that referenced Growl Helper

the script references Growl Helper in at least one other place other than lines you suggested that I delete. I do not know AppleScript (or anything about coding generally) so I did not know what to cut without messing up the whole thing. 

I caved and purchased Growl via the App Store. Evernote imported some notes but rather than putting them in one notebook, it created many notebooks (probably not one notebook per note) and also crashed midway through. it then began to behave erratically and crash more. in particular, I had a problem with the menubar icon wanting to clip something. it did import the tags, though. 

the Script Editor told me it had trouble with a few of the lines, one of which I deleted before the import even began. 

• Level 5*
On 2017-10-09 at 7:36 AM, ryubyss said:

I do not know AppleScript

Here's your chance to learn; a working script that you can play with and modify as you need it
You can see how the code is working and test out modifications
Create a single notebook, multiple notebooks, tags, titles; its all controllable by you

anyhow, I managed it. John from the Yojimbo board kindly edited the script for me. it functioned 100% perfectly when used when running macOS 10.13. I did have to cave in and purchase Growl, though and if you use the script, so will you. you can delete it immediately after, though. 

and DTLow, I hope I had not hurt your feelings. 

Yojimbo Script.zip

• 1 month later...

Hi ryubyss, Dtlow,

I am a along time Yojimbo and BBEdit user and like you would like to export my Yojimbo notes then - import them to Evernote. 

Might you please share the edited script that worked for you ryubyss?

What did you end up with in Evernote? one note per Yojimbo note, that would be ideal I guess,

glad you got sorted yourself ryubyss, are you liking Evernote after using Yojimbo? Is syncing pretty seamless?

thanks lots

neil

errm, I already shared the script.look at the bottom of my last post. 

What did you end up with in Evernote? one note per Yojimbo note, that would be ideal I guess,

I can't remember. I think I managed it without the prior frustrations. 

however, I decided to export again to Bear, using Evernote as an intermediary step. that worked well. only one of the seven hundred or so notes got garbled and even then I only had to remove a little textual gunk. and, to clarify, after deciding on what I wanted to do,  I exported the notes from Yojimbo to Evernote to Bear the one time, then I deleted Yojimbo and Evernote and kept Bear. 

honestly, though, I find Evernote not to my liking, although I do like Bear. 

ryubyss, 

thanks

I saw the script now ';~} idiot

yeah, bear, looks interesting,

I'm old fashioned though, I rather like a one off payment with software (and paid upgrades occasionally) for the very opposite of the reason why developers like drip-drip-drip charging.

They like it trickling in, I don't like ittrickling out, it all ADDS UP!

thanks lots

neil

I would have stuck with Yojimbo, which works perfectly for me, except for that the iOS version of the app only operates in read-only mod. so I decided to switch to Bear. I agree with you, though, in principle. developers increasingly switching to a subscription model. 

Bear has roughly equivalent use for me as Yojimbo. if you only ever use one computer or device, I do not think you have any reason to pay for a subscription. just don't do what I did and inadvertently create a complicated knot of tags. (Bear has a nested hierarchy tags system.)

Archived