Add option to move shortcuts to the toolbar like on Win EN

cf77

Idea

The Mac EN client has a giant, empty grey space on the toolbar. How about adding the option to display shortcuts on the toolbar like I can on Windows? I would really enjoy the extra space for notebooks and tags on the left panel. It also would make my OSX and Windows EN clients function similarly. 

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, cf77 said:

The Mac EN client has a giant, empty grey space on the toolbar. How about adding the option to display shortcuts on the toolbar like I can on Windows?

I'm not sure how the Windows toolbar looks but I don't think I'd want the clutter moved there; (I have a lot of shortcuts)
My current process is to turn of shortcuts in the sidebar; I even added an option-command-s shortcut
I only display the sortcuts when I need them

Ideally, I'd like to display a hierarchy like in the tag list

Yes! The Favorites bar! I thought that something like that existed at one point on the Mac but I couldnt really find any details on it. Thanks for sharing the article.

On Win EN, I can switch the shortcuts to display either in the toolbar or the left panel. I display them in the toolbar on Win, and would love that same option (or something similar) on the Mac. 

I guess my overall comment to the EN team is that I care more about feature parity between Windows and Mac versions of EN versus having a "Mac only" experience. As a long time EN user, it seems like the efforts to roll out a cool "Mac only" experience hasnt worked so well in the past. (See "The Lion-ification of Evernote" in EN 3.0 above ;) ) I realize some of that reflects a different era and leadership team at EN, but some of the effects of that still linger on. 

• Level 5*

Just had a quick flirtation with the options in Windows - shortcuts IN toolbar / shortcuts as a separate toolbar.  Both are scary.  I have about 30 shortcuts which either

1. Fill all the clear space in my toolbar and have their own extra drop-down on the right hand side to accommodate the overflow or
  2. Give me another complete toolbar below the existing one which eats into available screen space (that might also be detachable,  but I'm not playing with it to that extent!)

My shortcuts are back in the left panel where I can drop down the whole list when I need them and not have that detail cluttering up my visual field all the time.

I guess it would bring the clients closer if the Mac Desktop had the same options,  but IMHO that's a not likely to be very popular nice(ish) to have rather than a priority of any kind.

Archived