How do you search phrases in notes?

acpitt

Idea

I would like to search phrases and have the results show the entire phrase, not singular words from the phrase. Right now I can't get any search results, because it just highlights every single word within a phrase. Is it possible to search phrases within notes?

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 2017-08-20 at 5:49 PM, acpitt said:

I would like to search phrases and have the results show the entire phrase, not singular words from the phrase. Right now I can't get any search results, because it just highlights every single word within a phrase. Is it possible to search phrases within notes?

Can you give us an example of the actual search you're using599cb37b8ebf7_ScreenShot2017-08-22at15_40_06.png.15bd5a937797521161896d23ad4b0941.png

I tried this on my Mac      

search:     "Monday August 21"   (quotes required)

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Can you give us an example of the actual search you're using599cb37b8ebf7_ScreenShot2017-08-22at15_40_06.png.15bd5a937797521161896d23ad4b0941.png

I tried ths on my Mac      

search:     "Monday August 21"   (quotes required)

Well, that works, but look at the image at what I'm searching. When searching the phrase "common error", I get "error" by itself as well as "common error". There are instances where I have 200 words to sift through to get to the one I'm looking for. As far as I know, there is no way to tell the search function to search the words together, and only together. 

Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 9.38.11 PM.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, acpitt said:

Well, that works, but look at the image at what I'm searching. When searching the phrase "common error", I get "error" by itself as well as "common error". There are instances where I have 200 words to sift through to get to the one I'm looking for. As far as I know, there is no way to tell the search function to search the words together, and only together. 

Which platform/device are you using?

I would have said using quotes around the phrase would be the answer.  Obviously I'm wrong

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, acpitt said:

I'm using my Mac, running latest OS. Thanks for trying to help!

I’m trying to duplicate your search display7F15BE1C-3CFA-4458-88D7-477C0F17D59F.jpeg.69bac67c64aa7dcf7090135e41dc758c.jpeg

It doesn't look like the standard display

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I’m trying to duplicate your search display7F15BE1C-3CFA-4458-88D7-477C0F17D59F.jpeg.69bac67c64aa7dcf7090135e41dc758c.jpeg

It doesn't look like the standard display

I used Cmd+F (Ctrl+F) to open the search window so I search only within this particular note, and not all notes. 

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, acpitt said:

I used Cmd+F (Ctrl+F) to open the search window so I search only within this particular note, and not all notes. 

Got it, the issue is searching a phrase within a note

I was able to replicate this.  I think it needs to be answered by Evernote Support

I moved the discussion to the Mac forum 

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Got it, the issue is search phrase within a note

I was able to replicate this.  I think it needs to be answered by Evernote Support

Yeah, it's kind of a bummer. I am in the process of transferring all my notes to Apple's Notes - but - I have to split some of my Evernote notes into 5 different Note notes because of the size limitation. I use a lot of pictures in my notes. There doesn't seem to be an alternative note taking app that is on both Mac & PC and does everything Evernote does. 

I spoke to a couple of support people at Evernote and they weren't able to help me and just kind of "played dumb" and kept giving me workarounds that don't work, until I gave up. 

This is one more case in which Evernote does the opposite of what people are used to, and are familiar with. Search using a browser, a word editing software, and it just works how you'd expect. This implementation is fine for global search but makes no sense when searching within a note. As highlighted elsewhere, search in Evernote is dysfunctional in all possible ways and as months pass by, problems like this are still there. And every time you are supposed to apply some special syntax so the search is going to take 4 times longer than it should. 

Archived