Change font size and formatting on Android

Christiaanc90@gmail.com

Idea

I would really appreciate it if I can change the formatting for my notes on my Android app.
Or more importantly, set the default text format and size for my mobile app.

At the moment my android and pc apps use different default fonts and sizes. See attached.

This is only visible on the desktop app.
And I have tried changing the font on the desktop App. At the moment I need to "simplify formatting" on almost every note.

0.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

34 replies to this idea

On 11/1/2017 at 1:56 AM, LNWPDX said:

Great idea! - that is, being able to change the font size in notes.

I haven't used Evernote that often,  but today I just made the unfortunate discovery that there is no built in function to change the size of the font we are using when typing a note in Evernote. Seriously?  How can this possibly be the case? 

PLEASE add the very basic ability of changing font sizes of typed text to the Android Evernote app. I think the only reason more people haven't already requested this is because they all assume it's already a built in function. Either they haven't needed it yet, or they thought they just couldn't figure out how you do it yet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
On 8/12/2020 at 1:41 AM, Proft said:

Evernote devs have been tone deaf to making their text editor--the very foundation of their product--usable with entry level capabilities like text formatting controls.  This has been their top feature request for over 5 years, so there is little hope of any progress on their part, and is the reason so many people refuse to purchase Premium.

If you try the web beta you will see that Evernote does (or soon will) offer more text formatting controls than in the past, so they have been listening.

What is not in the beta is the ability to set defaults - like a default font size. Hopefully this will come eventually. For me, especially on iOS, the default font is way too small. If you compare the default font in Evernote to Apple's Notes or most any other text editor, it is much smaller. 

I also would note that the number of votes for a feature in this forum is pretty meaningless. There are millions of Evernote users, and what, a couple of hundred active forum participants? Not very representative.

i am new to evernote and find this baffling too as i just copy and paste imp lines from several articles revolving around a specific topic to make my notes concise

but whenever i copy & paste the font remains jagged and there is no option to change that.

this should had been a basic feature of such a famous platform(evernote).

This is an essential request, I use monospace font on evernote desktop/web version when I need content to be strictly aligned and it works fine, but once I open my mobile device the display is not as I wanted.

Wishing to add this feature and many thanks to the team

I agree. Very frustrating not being able to do something as basic as changing a font size in a note taking application. Especially problematic when pasting in copied text from other sources which retain their size and formatting and you can't then set it back to the note default! 

Apple users have enjoyed changing the font sizes (small, medium, large) and font colours in the iOS app for quite a while now...

When is the Android Evernote app going to catch up (or surpass) the functionality of the iOS app?

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, holo said:

Apple users have enjoyed changing the font sizes (small, medium, large) and font colours in the iOS app for quite a while now...

When is the Android Evernote app going to catch up (or surpass) the functionality of the iOS app?

Pretty sure they'll get around to this sooner or later,  but it won't be high on the list...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

On iOS this is build into the OS itself, and EN just needs to borrow it, like other apps do.

A full font Management is not available under iOS. Even apps that have extended functionality like Pages are more restricted than the same app on the Mac. Many others don’t go further than EN, even editors like iAwriter only have smaller/larger functions.

What would be more important to me would be an easy way to structure text, like header / subheader / etc. Ideal would be full markdown capability brought into the EN editor on all platforms.

Some time ago I posted a link to a public note I created that has colored letters and numbers. I welcome anyone to copy into their own accounts.  Not a perfect solution, but maybe better than nothing.

Edited by Echoreflection
Changed wording.
  • Level 5*
On 7/26/2019 at 5:46 PM, Adam81 said:

I just signed up to the forums to say this is desperately needed!

Hi.  Why?

Edit:  For clarification:  Why in your opinion is this desperately needed?  It would be good to get the additional features,  I agree - but is there a more urgent need?

The original post is from Aug 2017. WHY has this feature not been implemented? It has become extremely frustrating when opening an existing note, written anywhere (web, pc app, on Android) and begin to add text just to find the font, not only isn't the same, but is so small it is illegible. Fix this! 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, caffeinebuzz said:

The original post is from Aug 2017. WHY has this feature not been implemented? It has become extremely frustrating when opening an existing note, written anywhere (web, pc app, on Android) and begin to add text just to find the font, not only isn't the same, but is so small it is illegible. Fix this! 

Hi.  Not a 'fix',  but a major upgrade since coding for Android does not equal coding for iOS / Mac / Windows.  In addition,  each OS had its own historic development team who designed an architecture to suit their specific environment.  Evernote is working on making the user interface work similarly across all devices (given that some have keyboards and big screens,  and others do not).  The company also has to try hard not to disrupt their millions of current users on a wide range of different systems.

Such changes take time...

I rather stupidly just paid for the premium version, thinking that's why text formatting isn't available on Android. Apparently, it just isn't available at all. That's $42.00 I wish I could get back. I realize it's my fault for not knowing exactly what I was buying before I committed to it. 

With that said, it really is unbelievable that this feature isn't available. It's like, "Oh, do you want your car doors to stay closed when you drive? Awfully demanding, aren't you?"

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, Mike K. said:

I rather stupidly just paid for the premium version, thinking that's why text formatting isn't available on Android. Apparently, it just isn't available at all. That's $42.00 I wish I could get back. I realize it's my fault for not knowing exactly what I was buying before I committed to it. 

With that said, it really is unbelievable that this feature isn't available. It's like, "Oh, do you want your car doors to stay closed when you drive? Awfully demanding, aren't you?"

Hi.  This is a mainly user-supported forum,  so we don't have any demands at all.  On the bright side Evernote has said that it's developing new versions of the app for all its operating systems,  so you might get your wish this year...

• Level 5

FWIW, there is much more sophisticated text formatting available in the Web beta editor (https://www.evernote.com/client/web, then be sure there's a black Beta button at bottom right). Formatting created there then displays properly in the Android app, and you can even edit within formatted zones and the formatting remains intact. Not a solution, for sure; but at least a sign of progress, since what's being done in the Web beta is intended to be migrated to all platforms as I understand it.

I'm switching from Google Keep since they have decided not to 'support' the PC desktop app except through Chrome login. I DON'T use Chrome that often because it doesn't 'clean on exit' like Firefox.

That said, I've migrated all of my notes to Evernote, especially my 'shopping' lists, only to find that, after increasing the font size to 16 to make it more readable on the PC, that Android defaults to a font that is much smaller and barely readable on my phone.

I guess I'll have to use the LG 'zoom' (triple tap) to go grocery shopping until Evernote get this fixed... or find another app.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Apparent font size is a feature of screen size and operating system,  and some of the options tend to be teeny text - if you make the text bigger on a PC (say 20 point) does it help?

Hi all,

Actually, I found that increasing font size on the PC (to 16 point) and then opening on Android seemed to worked...

I just upgraded my phone to a Samsing Galacy A51. After adding some new checkbox lines to my shopping list on the PC, the fonts for the new lines ONLY on Android appear smaller, like 10 point (old lines) to 6 point (new lines).

Fortuneately, I was able to find a 'zoom' feature (120%) on the Android which make the old lines large and the new lines legible... Just don't understand how the Android can have two different size fonts in the same note and neither can be changed.

After checking on the PC and 'changing' (select all lines, change to 12 point, then back to 16 point) all characters and presto, everything is large again on the phone.

• Like 1

Evernote devs have been tone deaf to making their text editor--the very foundation of their product--usable with entry level capabilities like text formatting controls.  This has been their top feature request for over 5 years, so there is little hope of any progress on their part, and is the reason so many people refuse to purchase Premium.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Proft said:

This has been their top feature request for over 5 years

To indicate support for this request,  use the vote button at the top left corner  of the discussion    
This feature request currently has 25 votes

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Proft said:

It's been 5 years, so the evidence seems to indicate that voting is pointless.

To have only 25 votes in 5 years suggests the cost of adding the new feature(s) would not be met by the additional subscriptions generated.  I'd say voting is working fine.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

To have only 25 votes in 5 years suggests the cost of adding the new feature(s) would not be met by the additional subscriptions generated.  I'd say voting is working fine.

Again, the tone-deafness that would presume that the tens of thousands of users who are not complaining on this forum don't exist, and that only subscription revenue is important enough to create a truly great product.  That is clearly one of the reasons why there is little participation here.

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, Proft said:

That is clearly one of the reasons why there is little participation here.

Here on the forums,  or here on your specific focus?  The forums have had nearly 500,000 posts on around 80,000 topics and Evernote has 200M users,  so if more font options were a priority for any significant percentage of that number,  someone in Evernote would have heard of it by now.  And

31 minutes ago, Proft said:

only subscription revenue is important enough to create a truly great product

..is not exactly what I said.  Do you as a non-subscriber,  expect Evernote to lay out a few thousand dollars 'fixing' their product in hopes you might find it more acceptable?  Evernote is a commercial operation - they have to make profits:  that's how they pay the coders that work there!

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, ObviousBob said:

There are millions of Evernote users, and what, a couple of hundred active forum participants? Not very representative.

You're completed entitled to your opinion,  of course: but Evernote also collects opinions through reddit, facebook, blog and twitter channels,  and subscribers can always express their opinions direct. 

Votes here are an indicator of the proportion of views,  and some of the feature requests have 400+ against this 25.  They also haven't necessarily seen their actual feature being added to the app,  because Evernote do have this ongoing development of a complete rewrite - which might address a lot of requests in one go,  or it might not. 

We'll have to wait for the public release to find out....