Evernote for Mac 6.12 Beta 3 Released

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Today we're releasing version 6.12 Beta 3 - you cadownload it here. This release addresses many crashes, adds some tweaks to the experience across business and personal and improves the editor experience. 

Updated and fixed in Beta 3 build

• Opening content from Spotlight launches the app in the right context 
  • Business card images scanned from iOS now are retained on Mac after being annotated
  • Fixed crashes for some of our users on app launch, or when switching between accounts, signing out, and when deactivating a business user 
  • Tabs are now restored when switching contexts 
  • For tables that we can't convert to the new style of tables, added an "Upgrade Table" context menu option so users can do this on-demand 
  • Re-enabled the Cmd-S menu option
  • Updating the About box with our current team members :)
  • Facetime camera note image orientation is not reflected properly after capture
  • Re-introduced the Ctrl+Cmd+A shortcut to allow switching between contexts
  • Renaming attachments is now reflected in the note editor. 

Thank you to the Beta community for your help in providing feedback on our 6.12 release - this is our last Beta before GA, so please let us know if you spot any new issues.  

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac and the Editor team! 

--------------------

Full release notes for version 6.12: 

Evernote for Mac 6.12 Release Notes

Major improvements to tables!

Some highlights of what you can do with tables now:

• Add more rows and columns with a single click: Point to where you want a new column and click the plus button that appears.
  • Choose the entire column or row just by clicking the header.
  • Drag and drop entire rows & columns.
  • Copy and paste multiple cells: Select the cells you want to move, copy them, move cursor to a new spot and paste all the cells with one click.
  • Adjust the width of one column without affecting the width of the column next to it.
  • Scroll horizontally to view a table with many columns without expanding your window.
  • Hover within a cell to activate advanced table options. 
    • You can distribute columns evenly
    • Match the table width to the width of your window
    • Change the alignment of items within cells
    • Add and change background colorsQuickly add rows and columns – via the plus button

New image gallery!

Double-click on an image to enter the gallery mode, which allows you to quickly browse all the images in your note!

Better multi-tasking 

Keep your Evernote content organized using tabs. Create a new tab by selecting the 'New Tab' option under the File menu. 
Pick up from where you left off - if you exit the app and re-open it, you'll return to your previously opened windows / state.

Separation of Business and Personal

No longer intermingle your business and personal content in your Evernote experience but still multi-task when you need to. Improving on 6.11 Beta 1 & 2, we've added support for having business and personal notes open side-by-side. 

Known issue: you cannot move notes between personal & business. 

Bug fixes

A number of user reported bugs are now fixed in this release:

• Evernote does not update business tags list after the sync
  • Pasting a large amount of text into a note fails with no error message
  • An intermittent crash on account switching
  • Images in some notes created by clipper were not displayed in the note  
  • Pasting content before a horizontal rule was sometimes resulting in the deletion of content below the horizontal rule

77 replies to this idea

16 hours ago, AndyDent said:

Conclusion - the act of editing is also triggering note sync.

I can confirm this with my own install of the latest beta. I worked on several notes for a mailing list and found constant sync errors while I was writing. The moment I stopped writing, the syncing stops. I have my preferences set to Manual Sync. After a restart of Evernote with this new preference, the syncing still occur, but only when I am writing in a note. This is not expected behavior when the preference is Manual Sync. 

Also, downgrading to an early version is not possible as well, same as @AndyDent writes. Going back to the latest stable release gives me the exact same popup, but written in Dutch ;)

Thanks

Frank

• Level 5*
On 2017-08-29 at 2:49 AM, Frank Meeuwsen said:

Also, downgrading to an early version is not possible as well, same as @AndyDent writes. Going back to the latest stable release gives me the exact same popup

To downgrade, completely remove Evernote from your device; app, database, ...   

The app AppCleaner is recommended for this

After reinstalling the app, the database will be rebuilt from the servers.  Warning, the rebuild does not include Local Notebooks or unsync’d notes

7 hours ago, DTLow said:

By having your Activity Log in a Window, you can see what’s actually going on

My Sync setting is 5 minutes and I’m not having conflict problems.  I think “instant sync” may be Windows thing

Is this related to the beta version?  You may want to downgrade and test that

I have over 31,000 notes (23GB) and set a long period between sync previously because of the lockup bug with that many notes - there was a point during the sync process at which the app became completely unresponsive.

Looking at the Activity log, it seems indeed to be triggering a sync as soon as I am typing in another note. I have now developed a reflex where I try to immediately stop typing when I notice the sync activity. That has avoided any conflicting changes but is not a long-term solution as it requires flow-breaking vigilance.

I tried downgrading - you can't go backwards from this beta to the current released version. Your local Evernote data is being managed by a newer version of Evernote. Please use the latest version

I don't want to go through downloading that many notes just to test - it is several days worth of sync.

On 8/24/2017 at 2:48 PM, kennethl said:

I upgraded from 6.11 to beta 2 and then upgraded to beta 3. I don't know whether anyone reported these issues before.

1. Whatever options in the tabs of preference or in the right click menu, their values return to default once hide or close Evernote, even auto reset while I using Evernote. 

2. It very easily auto-gens conflict notes somehow when I typing a long note. 

If I fresh install the beta3, the preference saved correctly no matter I minimize or close it except using CMD+Q to quit the app. But once I upgrade the beta 1~3 from 6.11, the #1 issue can be reproduced 100%. 

For the #2, I believe that is a problem of sync. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, AndyDent said:

I have a deep suspicion that the preference for frequency of sync is being ignored.

By having your Activity Log in a Window, you can see what’s actually going on

My Sync setting is 5 minutes and I’m not having conflict problems.  I think “instant sync” may be Windows thing

Is this related to the beta version?  You may want to downgrade and test that

I have a deep suspicion that the preference for frequency of sync is being ignored.

Due to sync performance problems with many notes (31K) I have frequency set to once an hour.

Whilst writing my previous post about the bug with conflicting changes, I paid some close attention to watching the sync activity indicator.

I have now spotted it kicking in after only a few minutes of inactivity. 

This was after navigating from one note to another, within a main Mac window, and the note taking a few seconds to render with a spinner visible within an otherwise blank content window.

However, sitting there ignoring it for much longer did not show it doing a sync.

I started editing my diary note again, the common point in this long-winded tale of woe, and the blue sync spinner started up again. I left it a couple of minutes and came over here to write this post and the sync stopped after a plausible duration suggesting it had synced just the updates. However, within a few seconds of my starting to type into that note, it started spinning again. I just verified it now - within about 20 words being typed into a sentence, the sync is kicked off!

Conclusion - the act of editing is also triggering note sync.

Further to my bug report Ticket# 2188207 mentioned above, I just realised another infuriating implication of the bug.

Say I am busy editing a note so Evernote, as it is doing a sync, decides that the window in which I am busy typing now represents a Conflicting Changed note.

I just realised it doesn't move that active editing window to another notebook.

The actual effect is that the note I am continually editing becomes a copy in the local notebook. The originalafter the sync is back in the original notebook.

This may not seem like a big deal, except, I make very heavy use of Note Links and Shortcuts.

Those links now all point to the outdated content.

My open, independent window, in which I have been steadily working for the last half hour, has silently become a piece of floating Conflicting change content. If I close that window and use one of the links or a shortcut to attempt to open the note again, I end up at the outdated version.

My best recourse at this point is to open both the original note and the new copy and copy all the updated content to the old note.

In the most deeply ironic incident of this little saga, doing that triggered yet another conflict action and I had two conflicting changes for the same note, with the outdated copy sitting in the original.

I only have my sync frequency set to once per hour due to other bugs in previous versions which locked up the entire Mac client for the duration of part of the sync. I'm wishing now I had that behaviour back, it was annoying but didn't lead to as much confusion and data loss.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, AndyDent said:

I'm a bit bothered that my attempt to log a well-documented bug, which is serious enough to be affecting the workflow of a power user, was redirected here and it seems that's an avenue to closing tickets.

What is the point of having beta versions out in test if you prefer to have random discussion in a forum to having proper bug reporting? Have I missed something about how to report bugs on betas?

Less random, the request below was just posted.  Please consider indicating your support using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion

2 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

Technically this isn't for bug reporting and tracking, it is a user forum for discussion and comments about our betas and new features.  I shared your info with other Mac folks who work more with syncing issue than I do for better feedback on the issue you are encountering with syncing on a busy network.  Since the network is busy, conflicts can happen, however updates are being made to the sync engine to help with this. 

Thanks, Jason.

Some more nuanced feedback - this is not as sensitive to network busyness as I thought previously. It certainly doesn't require my network to be utterly saturated the way it was when I made my initial report. 

I can reproduce this almost at will by combining two factors.

1. Sync is happening whilst I am editing a note in a separate window (I think this may be a factor but that may also be skewed by the fact that I tend to use separate windows a lot as I work so heavily in Evernote that I typically have 4 or more active windows for just individual notes).
  2. I am busy typing within a note. I'm about a 70wpm typist and I have a feeling it is about my doing updates within note bodies, rather than appending to them, which triggers the problem.

What makes this a particularly infuriating bug is that it occurs whilst I am editing my active notes. This means my current work vanishes into a local Conflicting notebook - the stuff that is currently most important to me is no longer being synchronised to my other devices. It took me a while to realise this happened - at first I thought I was just losing content from notes. You may have reports from other people claiming note changes being lost because they haven't realised their changes went into a new local copy.

Literally, whilst I am working on a note, the notebook of the note changes from say ProductX to Conflicting.... I may also notice the notification in the top right corner of my Mac (I have two screens per Mac, six active screens on my desk between two Macs and a Surface Pro, so one temporary notification popup that fades within a few seconds may not catch my eye).

5 hours ago, AndyDent said:

I called it random discussion because it's a bunch of unstructured threads under one discussion. That kind of feedback is indeed valuable for a beta program especially when it has significant user-facing changes in experience.

However, It's not the same as structured bug reporting where the identified bug is being investigated and its status can be tracked by the dev team and the person who reported it. In particular, it doesn't allow for escalation in priority of something if a severe problem is discovered late in the day. The problem I reported had nothing to do with any new features or functionality as far as the user is concerned, it's a bug in normal use.

I got snippy, as I said, because it looked like my original report was being closed and handed off to this forum.

Technically this isn't for bug reporting and tracking, it is a user forum for discussion and comments about our betas and new features.  I shared your info with other Mac folks who work more with syncing issue than I do for better feedback on the issue you are encountering with syncing on a busy network.  Since the network is busy, conflicts can happen, however updates are being made to the sync engine to help with this. 

5 hours ago, AndyDent said:

I called it random discussion because it's a bunch of unstructured threads under one discussion. That kind of feedback is indeed valuable for a beta program especially when it has significant user-facing changes in experience.

However, It's not the same as structured bug reporting where the identified bug is being investigated and its status can be tracked by the dev team and the person who reported it. In particular, it doesn't allow for escalation in priority of something if a severe problem is discovered late in the day. The problem I reported had nothing to do with any new features or functionality as far as the user is concerned, it's a bug in normal use.

I got snippy, as I said, because it looked like my original report was being closed and handed off to this forum.

Can you point me to the original post you made on the issue you ran into?

On 8/26/2017 at 11:30 AM, Michael Hyatt said:

I am having a problem with tables. I have a note that has several tables, one after another. In Evernote 6.11.1 (non-beta), I could “stack” these without a blank paragraph between them. In the new beta 6.12 Beta 3, I can't do this. Evernote inserts a blank paragraph between tables. I have attached an image that shows how they look on each version.

While this may seem merely cosmetic, it really does negatively impact the design of a commercial project I am working on. Can you please fix this? Thanks.

2017-08-26_11-17-05.png

Sorry that is the current design with the new tables

On 8/26/2017 at 5:46 AM, frpeter said:

Really like the new tables. I use tables a lot and this improvement will encourage me to use them more. 

However, I have hit a snag already: I have discovered that when printing out a note which includes tables, the text does not reflow in the printed note - long lines just disappear off the edge. I have not encountered this before, so it seems to be a new "feature". Resizing the table to smaller than the window corrects this, but this is a bit hit and miss. 

This also leads to mention another point: I'd love to see more control over the formatting of a note for printing - especially the possibility of including page breaks, so that widows and orphans between headings and content could be avoided. 

Thanks for the info, I added your comments to an existing bug on this issue (for printing) - the 2nd point is a great request, that I shared with the Mac team

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, AndyDent said:

What is the point of having beta versions out in test if you prefer to have random discussion in a forum to having proper bug reporting? Have I missed something about how to report bugs on betas?

This specific discussion you're posting in (Evernote for Mac 6.12 Beta 3 Released) isn't a random discussion
It was created by the implementation team for users to report feedback on the release

I'm a bit bothered that my attempt to log a well-documented bug, which is serious enough to be affecting the workflow of a power user, was redirected here and it seems that's an avenue to closing tickets.

I'm a professional software developer with over 30 years experience and have worked many times in multi-national companies releasing widely-used product. I honestly feel the process pushed me aside here and the value of reporting the bug was ignored. (I am writing this further comment because I received an email this morning saying my question was about to be closed. It was not a question it was a detailed bug report with activity logs attached!).

Please see Ticket# 2188207 - Wrongly reports conflicting changes if typing during sync, which I was asked to post on the beta response forum. The request came without a link, so I hope I'm in the right place with this thread.

Body of report copied here for other people's benefit. Note that I do not think this is a beta problem, I think it had started before I downloaded a beta version but I cannot be sure.

I am fairly certain this is due to weaknesses in the sync logic coupled with the network being extremely busy with the uplink being saturated by BackBlaze.

I'm a Premium user with over 31,000 notes and I've logged at least one other report due to the strain that number of notes puts on the sync  code.

Since I lodged that report, I had multiple instances of it creating a conflicting changes notebook and moving the copy I was editing into that notebook. There was no other device updating those notes in the meantime, although a sync to another device may have occurred. This has also happened whilst BackBlaze is turned way down and the network is fine, happily streaming an interview from YouTube.

It seems very clear that if you are actively editing a note whilst it is being synced, there's some timing window in which the incoming version is compared against what you've edited and it mistakenly considers your edits as being a conflict.

Whilst I'm pushing my iMac this hard with BackBlaze, Evernote is the only network-related app having problems. My email works and most web pages are fine, although sometimes they time-out on initial load, especially if I have requested several new tabs within a couple of seconds. I will typically skim incoming email from mailing lists and decide on a few articles to read.

Even the Evernote Chrome Web Clipper is coping with the network load, just being a bit slower than normal.

Report details:

I'm using Version 6.12 Beta 3 (455392 Direct) and running on a Mac where the network is heavily loaded with uploads due to running BackBlaze during its initial upload of hundreds of GB. 

If I am typing into a note whilst syncing the note, I get a warning of "conflicting changes" and it moves the version of the note I am working on into a new local Conflicting Changes notebook. 

This occurs on notes which have only been created and edited on the Mac on which I am working - there is no possibility of conflict other than local changes occurring during the sync process. That should NOT constitute a conflict as the server-side note is a subset of the one I'm editing and has no changes from other sources.

17 hours ago, Joe F said:

Yes, I am experiencing the exact same issue with macOS 10.12.6 and Evernote 6.12 beta 3

Following recommendations in this thread as a temporary workaround I checked Preferences > Sync > Manually and kept the Warn me if I quit while syncing. I had to first force quit Evernote after changing the Preferences. However, after restarting Evernote I am able to quit normally and re-open. Just remember to Sync manually. 

Just now, DTLow said:

If you edit the note in its own window the search list criteria would not be an issue

Correct, which is what I normally do but with the need to keep an eagle eye on the sync indicator, and lift my hands off the keyboard until it stops, I have stopped using separate windows in this beta.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, AndyDent said:

Now consider that you edit that note. Maybe you change its title so it no longer matches a search. Maybe you just change its notebook so it is no longer in the current notebook. It is no longer matching the list criteria.

If you edit the note in its own window the search list criteria would not be an issue

4 hours ago, Mike Figueroa said:

It would be helpful if, when changing a note's notebook, the view would stay on the note itself. Instead, I'm kicked into the next note in the current notebook and I have to go searching for the note I was just editing in the notebook I moved it to.

Mike, this is not beta behaviour - it has been around for years. I have always thought of it as a design bug.

When I worked at Realm, the mobile database company, I used this behaviour in Evernote as the counter-example - we don't want to force people's apps to behave like Evernote.

If anyone's interested, I was on the Xamarin SDK team, implementing the C# SDK to the common database engine. This kind of behaviour is something you have to do a fair bit of work to avoid, it's not a result of someone being sloppy. Consider that lists in Evernote are live in that, whether you have a Notebook list or a search result, as soon as a note qualifies to be in the list, it appears. That's desirable behaviour.

Now consider that you edit that note. Maybe you change its title so it no longer matches a search. Maybe you just change its notebook so it is no longer in the current notebook. It is no longer matching the list criteria.

What I think should happen is that both new and edited notes, whilst you are editing them, remain in the list but with a visual indicator that they are special. As soon as you move to another note or some other action that affects the list of notes, their right to be shown is re-evaluated. This would also cope with the annoying situation where you edit a note's title, accidentally change it so it doesn't match the search criteria and would immediately have changed it back, if the !@#$@!#$ thing hadn't vanished. However, it is a surprising amount of work to implement. Keeping the note in the list in its current position, when it no longer has the right to be there, is a huge intrusion. An easier thing is to have it vanish from the list but still be active in the editing pane. A better experience is to have its title appear temporarily at a holding area at the top of the list (outside the list control).

Apologies for the long, off-topic explanation, but this is a great example of why some things which appear sensible and straightforward can sometimes be 50x the engineering effort (no hyperbole).

It would be helpful if, when changing a note's notebook, the view would stay on the note itself. Instead, I'm kicked into the next note in the current notebook and I have to go searching for the note I was just editing in the notebook I moved it to.

4 hours ago, sail said:

I reported these formatting issues on the last Beta and still not fixed: 

- Copying text out of Evernote into Word/TextEdit, all the apostrophes, quote marks and inverted commas are replaced with garbled text. Seems the destination app does not know the original source format from Evernote too. Fonts are changed to something generic. 

- Typing some auto text like emojis and any TextExpander expansions (with a space afterwards  it seems), takes the cursor to the end of the paragraph.

Sorry these bugs are being tracked, just haven't been addressed yet

I reported these formatting issues on the last Beta and still not fixed: 

- Copying text out of Evernote into Word/TextEdit, all the apostrophes, quote marks and inverted commas are replaced with garbled text. Seems the destination app does not know the original source format from Evernote too. Fonts are changed to something generic. 

- Typing some auto text like emojis and any TextExpander expansions (with a space afterwards  it seems), takes the cursor to the end of the paragraph.

56 minutes ago, Adjusting said:

I haven't been able to reproduce this (even when I switch my language to Danish). Do you still see it in the GA Release?

Hi Justin.

I had the same issue as described by mhb116950 . It occurred soon after I had to force quit Evernote starting three days or so ago. (I have been running Evernote Beta 3 for at least a week.) It was Notebook (possibly just Note) instead of the actual notebook name. However, the list of notebooks were fine. After fixing the force quit issue with the workaround below, I then started Evernote normally and the actual notebook names re-appeared.  

Use this workaround to quit and restart Evernote normally. 

Following recommendations in this thread as a temporary workaround I checked Preferences > Sync > Manually and kept the Warn me if I quit while syncing. I had to first force quit Evernote after changing the Preferences. However, after restarting Evernote I am able to quit normally and re-open. Just remember to Sync manually. 

• Level 5
On 8/26/2017 at 1:54 AM, mhb116950 said:

In my localised version, you cannot see the notebook the note belongs to anymore. It just says "Notebook" in the upper right corner (where it used to show the notebook name!). This happens in the main window (with list and selected note in view) and also in single note view.

I haven't been able to reproduce this (even when I switch my language to Danish). Do you still see it in the GA Release?

I am having a problem with tables. I have a note that has several tables, one after another. In Evernote 6.11.1 (non-beta), I could “stack” these without a blank paragraph between them. In the new beta 6.12 Beta 3, I can't do this. Evernote inserts a blank paragraph between tables. I have attached an image that shows how they look on each version.

While this may seem merely cosmetic, it really does negatively impact the design of a commercial project I am working on. Can you please fix this? Thanks.

2017-08-26_11-17-05.png

16 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

This is by design, paste and match style will keep the hyperlink 

Jason, 

Thanks for confirming. I do see the value of maintaining the hyperlink. 

Joe

13 minutes ago, Joe F said:

6.12 beta 3: Drag and drop of note images to the desktop no longer appears to work. The resulting desktop file is an Untitled clipping.  The workaround is to Control-click on the image and choose Save As.

We have an issue open tracking this - unsure about an ETA for the fix

4 minutes ago, Joe F said:

6.12 beta 3 (I think): When copying hyperlinked text (from a web page for example), choosing Edit > Paste and match style results in the text still being hyperlinked. The workaround is to highlight the link and choose Format > Link > Remove.  Or maybe this was always the case?!

This is by design, paste and match style will keep the hyperlink 

6.12 beta 3 (I think): When copying hyperlinked text (from a web page for example), choosing Edit > Paste and match style results in the text still being hyperlinked. The workaround is to highlight the link and choose Format > Link > Remove.  Or maybe this was always the case?!

6.12 beta 3: Drag and drop of note images to the desktop no longer appears to work. The resulting desktop file is an Untitled clipping.  The workaround is to Control-click on the image and choose Save As.

On 8/19/2017 at 3:59 AM, trumpetg said:

Thank you for the new beta, which I'm very happy with in general, but it has a strange bug which prevents the app from quitting.

The EN main window closes but the app won't quit completely – except if you manage to hit the Quit Now button in the closing 'syncing now' dialog in time before it disappears. If you don't succeed in catching the Quit Now button, EN remains active with no window open and the Quit menu item becomes greyed out. Only option is to force quit.

I first made the update to this new beta from within EN. Tried quitting the EN Helper from my menubar and also restarting my Mac to see if that solved the issue, but no luck. I then manually re-downloaded the update from this discussion and installed it but the problem persists – EN won't quit entirely unless force quit.

I'm on the latest 10.12.6 version of Sierra.

Is anyone else noticing this issue? Your help appreciated.

Yes, I am experiencing the exact same issue with macOS 10.12.6 and Evernote 6.12 beta 3

4 hours ago, Michael Hyatt said:

This behavior has happened a couple of times this morning ...

When I click on a note, I don't immediately see the note. Instead, I see the spinning gear icon.

Is that in a separate window or within the main multi-panel window?

If I have separate windows when I quit and re-launch Evernote, they often never populate.

The combined windows have some delay then display their content, seemingly requiring a sync even though the content for those notes was downloaded a long time ago.

2 hours ago, Michael Hyatt said:

When I click on a note, I don't immediately see the note. Instead, I see the spinning gear icon. It has been spinning now on one note for over 60 seconds. (The sync icon is not spinning, so I don't know if this is related to synching or not.) I can still get to preferences, so the program is not locked up. If I attempt to quit, EN becomes non-responsive. I have to force quit it. If I restart the program, then I can see my notes.

Thanks for the report, I will have folks research this problem more

When I click on a note, I don't immediately see the note. Instead, I see the spinning gear icon. It has been spinning now on one note for over 60 seconds. (The sync icon is not spinning, so I don't know if this is related to synching or not.) I can still get to preferences, so the program is not locked up. If I attempt to quit, EN becomes non-responsive. I have to force quit it. If I restart the program, then I can see my notes.

On 8/19/2017 at 9:59 AM, trumpetg said:

Thank you for the new beta, which I'm very happy with in general, but it has a strange bug which prevents the app from quitting.

The EN main window closes but the app won't quit completely – except if you manage to hit the Quit Now button in the closing 'syncing now' dialog in time before it disappears. If you don't succeed in catching the Quit Now button, EN remains active with no window open and the Quit menu item becomes greyed out. Only option is to force quit.

Same problem here. Can't quite Evernote except by Force Quite since beta 3.

5 minutes ago, jmvidal said:

The Evernote 6.12 beta 1 (and 2 and 3, I just tested) have been crashing for me every time I try to use the Alfred Evernote workflow to do an evernote search.

I posted the details, including crash dump, at the Alfred Forum: https://www.alfredforum.com/topic/840-evernote-9-beta-2-for-alfred-3-search-create-append-set-reminders-all-within-alfred/?page=27&tab=comments#comment-53364

Pinged the team with this info

On 07/01/2017 at 6:06 AM, DTLow said:

There are open requests for this feature
An example is one tab shows "All Notes", another tab shows "Hot Notes", another tab shows "Current Tasks"

I find it more useful when the tab title says something meaningful.  
Unfortunately most of my tabs are titled "All Notes"

14 hours ago, Finn Ove said:

Get en error that Evernote canceled shutdown on iMac. Need to force quit Evernote. Rebooted. Same thing.

When I exit Evernote the document screen disappears but evernote remains active on task bar. Need to Force Quit to fully exit.

When I change cell colour in tables, sometimes the text keep the old formatting. Happened twice, so far.

The cell below had a red background, but suddenly the text got red instead.... Very nice feature though.... red highlighting is welcome, but maybe not intended.

Selecting a new background colour does not change the text highlighting colour.

(Sidenote: I do like the new Evernote tables...they are slick :-)

When I want to close Evernote on iMac, it did not shut down, but no indication of any sync effort. After a while I force quit the app. Same next day. 

At the same day I had a problem with Devonthink. Devonthink needed about 10 hours to import an email account. I already imported this account before and it only last 30 minutes. After deinstalling Evernote beta and installing last final Evernote version Devonthink was much more responsive again. I suspect Evernote was busy in the background all the time

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Adjusting said:

Can you confirm whether your script contains "find notes"?

Confirmed, the scripts are aborting on the "find notes" statement
Other scripts execute successfully

• Level 5
15 hours ago, DTLow said:

Not fixed: Evernote/Applescript is still aborting

Evernote got an error: Connection is invalid.

This is not happening for all scripts. I'm trying to track down when it does happen.

Can you confirm whether your script contains "find notes"?

Thanks.

• Level 5*
On 2017-08-18 at 6:52 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

Today we're releasing version 6.12 Beta 3

Not fixed: Evernote/Applescript is still aborting

Evernote got an error: Connection is invalid.

edited: the scripts are aborting on the "find notes" statement

I first made the update to this new beta from within EN. Tried quitting the EN Helper from my menubar and also restarting my Mac to see if that solved the issue, but no luck. I then manually re-downloaded the update from this discussion and installed it but the problem persists – EN won't quit entirely unless force quit.

I upgraded from 6.11 to beta 2 and then upgraded to beta 3. I don't know whether anyone reported these issues before.

1. Whatever options in the tabs of preference or in the right click menu, their values return to default once hide or close Evernote, even auto reset while I using Evernote. 

2. It very easily auto-gens conflict notes somehow when I typing a long note. 

18 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

OK got it, thank you 

Highlight text in a table and change the background color. If you want to un-highlight the text, the background color is gone, but text is highlighted

In my localised version, you cannot see the notebook the note belongs to anymore. It just says "Notebook" in the upper right corner (where it used to show the notebook name!). This happens in the main window (with list and selected note in view) and also in single note view.

Also with Notes with a few tags, only the first two og three are shown. Even if the toolbar has ample space for more!??

Not too pretty.... Seems like bugs, that came with v. 6.12 beta 3.

cheers, Martin

screenshot.png

screenshot.png

screenshot.png

2 minutes ago, hralf said:

I have no video capture app and a normal video is about 40 MB, but I made a screenshot. If you highlight test like this, you can press the button and it keeps highlighted. I think that not intended.

Please remove another "feature". In older versions I can expand and collapse notebooks lists on the left side with one single click. Now I need a double click. By mistake it can now easily happen that I change the notebook instead of just expanding it in order to move one note.

Highlighting.jpg

OK got it, thank you 

On 24.8.2017 at 0:06 AM, Jason Miller said:

Hi, I am having problems recreating, this, would you happen to have a video?

I have no video capture app and a normal video is about 40 MB, but I made a screenshot. If you highlight test like this, you can press the button and it keeps highlighted. I think that not intended.

Please remove another "feature". In older versions I can expand and collapse notebooks lists on the left side with one single click. Now I need a double click. By mistake it can now easily happen that I change the notebook instead of just expanding it in order to move one note.

Highlighting.jpg

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You can move the search box to a different location

I knew about the toolbar customization from Windows but did not know that the Mac version allowed you to move the search box.  Awesome, thanks ... wished I had asked about this sooner.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

I've adapted pretty well but one minor difference I've found very annoying is the location of the search bar.

fwiw  You can customize the toolbar by right-clicking59a04085e36b3_ScreenShot2017-08-25at08_20_22.png.5d1cb9861e1fe39db083afb3680058b4.png

You can move the search box to a different location

• Level 5*

In this beta, is the search bar still above the right hand pane?

As a new Mac user and long time PC user I'm now switching between a PC and Mac a lot and I've adapted pretty well but one minor difference I've found very annoying is the location of the search bar.  In the Windows version (at least for a while now) it is located over the middle pane, in snippet view, which I find very intuitive and easy to use.  In the Mac version it is over the right hand pane and I find it awkward jumping over there to use it.  It use to be this way on Windows and I'm hopeful that Mac will eventually change as well.

I suppose if this is all I have to complain about then life if pretty good ...

On 19/08/2017 at 5:59 PM, trumpetg said:

Having the same issue. Have to Force quit.

Really like the new tables. I use tables a lot and this improvement will encourage me to use them more. 

However, I have hit a snag already: I have discovered that when printing out a note which includes tables, the text does not reflow in the printed note - long lines just disappear off the edge. I have not encountered this before, so it seems to be a new "feature". Resizing the table to smaller than the window corrects this, but this is a bit hit and miss. 

This also leads to mention another point: I'd love to see more control over the formatting of a note for printing - especially the possibility of including page breaks, so that widows and orphans between headings and content could be avoided. 

43 minutes ago, hralf said:

If I highlight text in several cells of a table with yellow they get highlighted. But if I un-highlight them, they keep yellow. I have to select the text of each cell and un-highlight them. 

Hi, I am having problems recreating, this, would you happen to have a video?

If I highlight text in several cells of a table with yellow they get highlighted. But if I un-highlight them, they keep yellow. I have to select the text of each cell and un-highlight them. 

Some funky behaviour is occurring when cutting text.

When I cut some text out of a line that was set to 14pt font, the remaining line's font size was increased to 18pt.

Also, this beta is not playing nicely with the current Android version. when I view notes on Android, and then back on the Mac app, the font sizes get messed up.

1 minute ago, Scott Adelman said:

I have noticed that since the upgrade to  v 6.12 Beta 3, I cannot open Excel spreadsheets from within the application. I need to download the spreadsheet to the desktop and then upload the new version to the same note. Has anyone else experienced this behavior? Thanks. 

I just tried it and was open to right click and choose open, and Excel opened for me. 

So maybe I am missing a step -  I have beta 3, and running running Office 365 on macoS 10.12.6

I have noticed that since the upgrade to  v 6.12 Beta 3, I cannot open Excel spreadsheets from within the application. I need to download the spreadsheet to the desktop and then upload the new version to the same note. Has anyone else experienced this behavior? Thanks. 

11 hours ago, rijnb said:

Same problem here. Can't quite Evernote except by Force Quite since beta 3.

@rjnb, @Mike Figueroa and others who are encountering this problem: Happy to report I have now found a workaround which seems to solve the quitting issue. In prefs I set syncing to Manually and checked 'Warn me if I quit while syncing', and EN now fully quits.

Not a total solution but it does the job in the meantime till the issue is properly fixed.

The app is not quitting for me. I have to force quit every time.

Also, zooming in with Cmd+ on Mac is making the actual font bigger in Android version. If I make an edit on Android, leave the note and return, the text goes back to normal, but then if I look at the Mac app again, some of the text has randomly been increased in size to 16pt.

Archived