sjachille

Evernote Web Pages Width at 800 px too narrow

Idea

Hi Evernote Team,

I am working at a proposal for a Client - Their request is rather challenging and I'm doing my best to offer a solution to the problems they'd like to solve using Evernote. They are essentially wanting to transform many of their existing (reporting) documents from excel and Word over to Evernote.

One thing I noticed that is a real show stopper is the Evernote website canvas: it's only 800 px wide! This is very very limiting when you need to share documents created for the web. I have spent the last few days pushing evernote to the limit but I hit the ceiling every time due to the 800px limit We cannot overrride - I would suggest this limit be pushed upwards to (at least) 1024, and if possible offer the possibility to personalize the canvas width (that would be great) 

Hope this helps and can be done,

Sante 

Blue_Glass_LLC____Project_Name____Dynamic_Tests.png

• Like 3

25 replies to this idea

Thank you for your reply DT,

View in Evernote implicates the user must have an account and login - this is not always the case, especially if we are talking about reporting functions. 800px is an extremely conservative layout IMHO and we could really benefit from a more generous web canvas allocation for these cases. In my experience I use shared public links very often and so would the Client I am working with who would hopefully signup for 2o business seats :)

Sante

I'll vote for that - I do some sharing by URL too,  and it's a pain to edit the note so the content looks even vaguely professional.

• Like 2

I would like to add my vote and this issue still remains as of August 2018. Many of my notes are quite wide as i have a wide table and when i view these in the HTML version of evernote (i'm on Linux) the best way to view them is to zoom out but the width of the note is limited in width. I assume it's limited to the 800 px mentioned here.

Screenshot from 2018-08-28 14-33-49.png

I too echo all the comments thus far regarding the 800 px limitation and the recommended suggestions. Based on the large number of notes I share to non-Evernote folks by URLs, I don't think there could be an update that would make me as happy as this would. Please make this happen or at least let us know you are going to work on it. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, fchandler said:

I too echo all the comments thus far regarding the 800 px limitation and the recommended suggestions. Based on the large number of notes I share to non-Evernote folks by URLs, I don't think there could be an update that would make me as happy as this would. Please make this happen or at least let us know you are going to work on it. 

Thanks for echoing that! I was on the phone earlier today with a prospect and they were a bit annoyed about the way the notes are rendered on the web because of this limitation: ideally the web should be responsive - let's see if anything happens ... 

16 hours ago, Chuck Boudreau said:

Providing the ability to make displayable content on a web-accessible note wider than 800px would solve a huge problem for me:

• I use Evernote to create notes containing tables that I share with colleagues and collaborators who do not use Evernote
  • When they open the note in a browser via a shared note link, the resulting view is undesirable and difficult to consume.

This is particularly problematic with the use of tables with more than three columns. Tables of four columns or more become narrowly squished and, as a result, the contents word-wrap at awkward and sometimes unfortunate intervals.

Hmmn.  Until there's a change here,  you might want to look into other forms of shared table.  I'm a big fan of Airtable which is pretty easy to get into,  allows full-on spreadsheet sharing and collaboration,  plus it has some scripting and relational database features that make it very flexible indeed.

Not being (very) disloyal to Evernote here - I use third-party apps for lots of things that Evernote doesn't do at all,  and for some it doesn't do very well;  and if you need the feature it's better to get it going now in one form or another,  rather than wait a year or two in the hope Evernote will add it.

How has this not been addressed yet?  The narrow width of the HTML layout is a nightmare for people that want to share notes with tables in them, or even images.  Very disappointed that Evernote has not addressed this issue since it would only take a couple minutes to update the CSS and the return on that investment is a massive boost to desktop usability.  I'll happily do the heavy lifting for you below!

750px for content (with 50px padding) is ridiculous.  It's at least responsive for Tablet/Mobile, which is wonderful, but you are neglecting PC users with larger screens, which is bad UI/UX.  

1200px is one of the more common desktop CSS breakpoint display widths.  Lets roll with that.  Send your developers over to http://www.websitedimensions.com/ if they have any questions.

Here's all you need to do to address this.  No QA needed, ready for production release in as long as it takes to change 1 line of CSS and commit the file.

Change:

@media only screen and (min-width: 60.875em), only screen and (min-width: 51.75em)
.mod-single-note-page-new-design#container {
    width: 750px;
}

To:

@media only screen and (min-width: 60.875em), only screen and (min-width: 51.75em)
.mod-single-note-page-new-design#container {
    width: 1150px;
}

That accounts for your 50px padding and gets us up to a reasonable 1200px;  And that's just an acceptable minimum width for a full desktop site, it could easily go larger.

I'll be over here anxiously refreshing my browser window hoping for some progress... 

6 hours ago, Sante said:

One thing I noticed that is a real show stopper is the Evernote website canvas: it's only 800 px wide!

You're showing the display when a note is shared using the browser link
The actual Evernote canvas is different (click on View in Evernote)

I've been tailoring my notes if I intend to share them with this interface

I added my vote

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Exavior said:

it would only take a couple minutes to update

In the meantime pending EN adding any table parameters, if one has access to the desktop version

1. One can export the note using the ENEX format
  2. Make edits using Notepad or the like
  3. Import the ENEX back into EN
  4. Then use the note as a template

All in a couple of minutes.

The entire point of the shared web notes is that it does not require users to author custom files or for viewers to have accounts.  So any proposed solutions other than someone updating the bad CSS code, which (now that I did the hard part) would only take a few minutes.  Granted "a couple" might be an over simplification, but less than 10 including a coffee break and watching a short cat video on YouTube.

Added:  In my case the note is a living document that is updated frequently.  This is where shared Evernote documents really shines, since a single link can be shared with a large group of people monitoring progress and contributing feedback.   Not that I don't appreciate your suggestion, it is just not an option in this situation. :)

14 hours ago, Exavior said:

The entire point of the shared web notes is that it does not require users to author custom files or for viewers to have accounts.  So any proposed solutions other than someone updating the bad CSS code, which (now that I did the hard part) would only take a few minutes.  Granted "a couple" might be an over simplification, but less than 10 including a coffee break and watching a short cat video on YouTube.

Added:  In my case the note is a living document that is updated frequently.  This is where shared Evernote documents really shines, since a single link can be shared with a large group of people monitoring progress and contributing feedback.   Not that I don't appreciate your suggestion, it is just not an option in this situation. :)

Cool.  To be clear, once the note format is modified it stays modified unless one intentionally adjusts the column widths.  May not be an optimal solution but can get by for one note.  Me, I'd like EN to create the capability for the entry of column width, spacing and whichever else as parameters in the table.  Sometimes de facto doesn't cut it for everyone.  ;)

15 hours ago, Exavior said:

The entire point of the shared web notes is that it does not require users to author custom files

My practice is to customize notes if I intend to share via a web url.

As noted, there is a width limitation.
Also, internal note links need to be replaced with public url links

So frustrating!  I don’t remember this being an issue in early versions of Evernote.  He fact that this falls on deaf ears with EN support has me searching for other software options.

Same problem here. The only way to solve it is to export in PDF with a lot of problems. A simple share with personalized max width would be great.

I have the very same problem. Evernote, please modify web sharing view responsive!

Otherwise I have to transfer my co-working application to other platform!

Thanks you!

Yes. Terrible web design, especially for tables . Need to be adaptive or at least wider. .  It seems that EN support don't pay attention for claimed simple issues for years.

+1

Came looking for this... again.

How is this not implemented yet?

6 hours ago, Peter Gelencser said:

+1

Currently I am considering the cancellation of my subscription, mostly based on the way this problem is handled. :(

Obviously your choice,  but the lack of votes for this feature (currently 9) would suggest that it's not high on most users' wish list.  Evernote do have lots of other fixes to deliver... 

On 9/27/2019 at 4:12 PM, Chuck Boudreau said:

If anyone in Evernote product management is listening, can you say, "Negative moment of truth?"

Oh honestly. It's a problem, sure, but is it such a "Grand moment of melodrama"?

On 9/27/2019 at 4:12 PM, Chuck Boudreau said:

It's ROTTING: This makes me think that this part of the code base has not been touched or maintained in years.

Um, untouched code doesn't rot. It just stays the same.

Um, untouched code doesn't rot. It just stays the same.

The code what stays the same in this fast evolving business, definitely rots! ☹️

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Chuck Boudreau said:

Your opinion, although interesting, is irrelevant... unless you happen to be the product manager, in which case I’m more than willing to engage you further.

Same could be said...

That being said I am in the camp of less air in all variants of desktop usage, without the drama though.  :) 

1 hour ago, Peter Gelencser said:

The code what stays the same in this fast evolving business, definitely rots! ☹️

That is entirely false. Code that works (i.e., meets its specification) doesn't break when left untouched, modulo side-effects of other changes. That being said, specifications may grow outdated in the face of other factors (evolving hardware, new use cases, or even incorrect initial specification, etc.), in which case, a new spec should be made and the code changed. But code does not rot.

1 hour ago, Chuck Boudreau said:

Your opinion, although interesting, is irrelevant... unless you happen to be the product manager, in which case I’m more than willing to engage you further.

My opinion is as relevant as yours -- and for the record, I have upvoted the original request, so in essence we agree that this is something that should be addressed. My take, though, is that that while somewhat annoying (I use the Windows application most frequently, and web version sparingly), it's not as dire as you make it out to be. No further engagement required...